daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #421
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

RailJet are not EMU but are considered as such, with fixed compositions, as it is common in Europe today. Locomotives and coaches are indipendent.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #422
OldArmy94

Likes (Received): 3

Wow, BEAUTIFUL country. Thanks for the photos.
OldArmy94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #423
Linie29

Likes (Received): 2

Another three pics, of course self-made.

1116 033 with ÖBB EC 669 near Kirchberg/Tirol [Date 08.09.2009].

Nostalgic Train 5042.14 near Klein Pertholz [Date 25.04.2009].

1144 269 with a regional train or a semi-fast regional train at Hofstatt [Date 03.04.2009].

Linie29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #424
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Interesting railroad car near Krems. Never seen this before.

snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:20 AM   #425
Linie29

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Interesting railroad car near Krems. Never seen this before.
50 81 22-35 123-4 Bm "Gewerkschaft der Eisenbahner" at Stein-Mautern.
This UIC-X coach was, 2 - 4 years ago, for a while at the freight area of St.Valentin.
Linie29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM   #426
Coccodrillo

Quote:
The Austrian Trade Union of Railwaymen (short GdE) was a traditional trade union in Austria, in late 2006 by a merger in the union vida rose. She defined herself as a social, political and cultural community of interest for active and retired railway employees, including families of announces.

With just 90,249 members, the GdE end of 2004 was the sixth largest of the 13 craft unions of the Austrian Trade Union Federation. Their structure was democratic, non-partisan and competence based on voluntary membership and for members of the following companies:
From http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewerks...er_Eisenbahner

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM   #427
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linie29 View Post
It's not necessary to have two locomotives for this route,
It IS necessary, as the acceleration with 2 locomotives is much better.

Even between St. Pölten and Linz (distance 123 km) the travel time difference between 1x 1016+14 waggons vs. 2x 1016 + 14 waggons is 4 minutes (that's just because of the different acceleration).
Between Vienna and Salzburg it would be around 8 minutes or more.

But the timetable is based on the acceleration of 1x 1016 per 7 waggons, the typical railjet-train.
There are some conventional trains running in the same path (just at another hour) as the railjet trains. Evene if they have only 10 waggons, it is necessary to give them 2 locomotives, otherwise delays would be inevitable.

Nachalnik
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM   #428
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

how many kinds of passanger train locomatives does ÖBB have?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #429
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 772

Koralmbahn under construction, section Werndorf - Wettmannstätten, 27th march 2010:

Nachalnik
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #430
Gzdvtz
Whatevah

All pictures gone
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #431
Gzdvtz
Whatevah

I have a question about the Brenner Base Tunnel, here I read that "The life span of BBT is expected to be 14.5 years.", just what exactly does that mean?!
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #432
Coccodrillo

Probably that the construction will last for 14.5 years.

Old May 10th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #433
eminencia

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anekdote View Post
Goodbye Südbahnhof, I won't miss you.
Well, me personally I will miss it very much. It was good station, unique, with modest but functional architecture. I have no high expectations about upcoming Hbf according to the visualisations.
eminencia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #434
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Thanx for the pics, Nachalnik. However, they mainly show that railway travel in Austria is changing from a wild romantic mountain experience to a drab ride with plastic side boards blocking the view whenever there is anything worth seeing. I hope the cut in travel time is really worth it and that once it is finished, it will really be used. Teh most ironic thing is the hightech tunnel system between Villach and Italy which has been disused now because Italy has cut its railway ties with the rest of Europe. Is the Koralmbahn intended for travel Venice-Vienna or justified by inner-Austrian travel alone? And any more data on this line we hear very little about? It looks like it could be completed soon.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #435
thun

I guess its both. Finally it will provide direct connections between Graz and Klagenfurt (where ÖBB uses busses instead of trains!) and cutting (rail) travel time from three to one hour. And it allows to direct trains from Klagenfurt to Vienna via Graz (nowadays one has to go via Bruck an der Mur). And one has to keep in mind that Trieste is one of the most important ports for the Austrian economy. The Koralmbahn together with the Semmering base tunnel will allow much heavier trains between Vienna and Italy and improve freight services, too.
Where did you get that information that the Pontebbana is disused? According to my knowledge it is of course in service.

Last edited by thun; May 11th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #436
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
Where did you get that information that the Pontebbana is disused? According to my knowledge it is of course in service.
I passed that way recently. And checked it again now in the online schedule: There is only one night train between Venice and Villach. All other services are provided by "Postbus". What a waste...
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #437
thun

Yeah, apparently ÖBB doesn't connect to Tarvisio anymore. Trenitalia offers at least 4 regional trains from Udine to Tarvisio per day. But one has to keep in mind that most of the Pontebbana is in tunnels (more than 40kms of the 50kms south of Tarvisio or so), so that leads me to the (quite obvious) conclusion that you can connect all villages in the valley by bus which wouldn't be possible anymore on the new railway. Between Udine and Carnia (where the new tunnels begin) there are much more trains (up to one per hour). On the other hand, the tunnels main benefit is reducing the noise pollution in the valley.
This leads to the conclusion that the line was mainly buildt to be more reliable than the old one (which had to be closed several times due to natural phenomens), improve freight services (the railway is the main link between Italy (and especially the ports like Trieste) and the new EU members in middle and Eastern Europe, so it's logical that the amount of cargo will grow further), cut travel time of the few Eurocity services and last but not least quality of living in the valley. So it doesn't seem to be such a waste of money to me.
Maybe we'll see more ECs them when the Koralmbahn and Semmering base tunnel are finished?

Last edited by thun; May 11th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
thun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #438
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

I have a few questions , why do you guys build a paved roadbed and then build a railway ontop? Does it make the trains vibrations less? Does it lengthen the railways lifespan?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #439
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

I can only guess but I'd say that it makes a more enduring and lasting base for the upper levels of the rail bed.
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #440
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

It's not really a standard procedure. I think in this case it was done because of the tunneling works.

edit: Guess I have to correct myself. This is a picture from the new high speed line under construction in the Tullnerfeld area and there is also a concrete base under the tracks:

source: User Provodnik bahnforum.info

Last edited by rheintram; May 15th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb