daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #641
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Salzburg Hauptbahnhof is going to be a real beauty. Easily among the most beautiful stations out there. Hard to believe that is was considered the ugliest station Austria's before renovations started. Here's some proper update from last evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0ink View Post
Nach seeeehr langer Zeit wieder Bilder vom Hauptbahnhof exklusiv © by o0ink! Die Bilder wurden im heutigen Abendlicht aufgenommen.

Der Kopfbahnhof wurde somit zum Durchgangsbahnhof! Die ehemaligen Bahnsteige 34 und 35 werden nun abgerissen und es sind nur noch die fünf neuen Bahnsteige in Betrieb, was auch derzeit ohne Probleme gut läuft.
Wenn man sich mal nur ganz klein in den Sinn denkt, wie dermaßen hässlich dieser Bahnhof mal war und meist als der "schirchste" in ganz Österreich bezeichnet wurde, dann darf man den ÖBB mal ganz heftig gratulieren! Sogar unsere Japsen sind von dem Ding ganz begeistert...

This is what the station looked like before and as you can see they renovated the old steel construction and integrated it into the new platforms:
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #642

Likes (Received): 1034

Damn what a nice station , they did a wonderfull job why did they choose to use like some sort of rail for the powerlines in the station, the only places that I know where they use some sort of construction is at movable bridges.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #643
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Damn what a nice station , they did a wonderfull job why did they choose to use like some sort of rail for the powerlines in the station, the only places that I know where they use some sort of construction is at movable bridges.
Overhead power rails are getting quite common in tunnels as well. I guess here it is used for aesthetic reasons.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #644
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

wonderful station design, the only thing i think they forgot is the ballast track: they should not use ballast track, it should be concrete all through the station: easier to clean..
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #645
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737
It's due to the steel construction between platform 3 and 4. Not enough space for classic power lines.
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #646
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy
wonderful station design, the only thing i think they forgot is the ballast track: they should not use ballast track, it should be concrete all through the station: easier to clean..
And also more expensive. Renovation already costs 300 Mio. Euros.
Old July 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #647
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

image hosted on flickr

I visited Salzburg about 2 weeks ago. Arriving for the 1st time, it was a bit difficult to find the way to the old town, the railway is cutting of the entire east-west side of the city. The footpath under the railway on Wienerstrasse was dusty and noisy because of construction and not very pleasant for us tourists passing by.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #648
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
And also more expensive. Renovation already costs 300 Mio. Euros.
how much more could a few kms of concrete track (normal speed) cost?

if you want to attract people to use the railroad in a rich country like austria, one of the most important things to do is to make sure the environment is as clean, as up to date etc. as it can possibly be

you can see that obb is making an effort to be clean, aesthetically pleasing, for example when i was @ meidling i was amazed how much attention they paid to......making sure pigeons can't land on things and poop...

so yeah, i submit to you that large(r) stations everywhere should feature concrete track and be regularly cleaned even if it is slightly more expensive (keep in mind that it would not require realignment for 30+ years)
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #649
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
What do you mean? What ballast track?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #650
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What do you mean? What ballast track?
Track bed is made of ballast and not concrete, as he suggested.
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #651
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Ah, ok. Beautiful station nevertheless.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #652
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

He is talking about the actually rails. They are built conventionally. That means instead of fixing them straight to the ground, e.g. with concrete, they are built inside a trackbed, made from rocks. This is the conventional and preferred way of building railways, since it is both cheaper and easier, as metal grows and shrinks due to temperature and the flexible trackbed gives it that space.

@NordikNerd: You are quite right about the situation in Salzburg. However, it will be better once all the construction is done.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #653
gramercy
BANNED

well it's clearly not a deal breaker, i just feel that smtn like this is more civilized
http://images.cdn.fotopedia.com/flic...7512-image.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...of_pano_06.jpg
http://arquitectura.divisibles.com/w..._o-800x533.jpg

anyway..
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #654
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

For all the money they spend on this project the platforms fail to meet the floor level of the carriages. That a shame, really.
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #655
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
For all the money they spend on this project the platforms fail to meet the floor level of the carriages. That a shame, really.
You have no idea, what you're talking about, right?

Platforms have a height of 550 mm (EU standard), which is the very same level as of the lowest step for long distance carriages and regional trains like Bombardier's Talent. Making the platform higher would mean that you actually have to step down to enter a regional train like the Talent.
Old July 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #656
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Austria has different regulations than Germany. Our S-Bahn and regional trains are low entry and you can access them step-free from a 55cm platform.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #657
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Austria has different regulations than Germany. Our S-Bahn and regional trains are low entry and you can access them step-free from a 55cm platform.
The 760 mm platfroms in Germany are actually less common within Europe than the 550 mm in Austria:

green = 550 mm
purple = 760 mm
yellow = both

Old July 18th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #658
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
You have no idea, what you're talking about, right?

Platforms have a height of 550 mm (EU standard), which is the very same level as of the lowest step for long distance carriages and regional trains like Bombardier's Talent. Making the platform higher would mean that you actually have to step down to enter a regional train like the Talent.
I do perfectly well know what I'm talking about. I'm not so sure about you though. The whole point of platforms is to lift passengers to the height of the floor level of the carriages and just to the lowest step. In fact steps are meant to be removed entirely. This, however, can't be achieve with platforms as shallow as 55 cm. And that is why this standard, which are a UIC standard by the way, is simply bollocks.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #659
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
They might have a low entrance. Yet, they are not step-free. Just because the steps have been moved to inside doesn't mean that they are gone as they should.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #660
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy

I do perfectly well know what I'm talking about. I'm not so sure about you though. The whole point of platforms is to lift passengers to the height of the floor level of the carriages and just to the lowest step. In fact steps are meant to be removed entirely. This, however, can't be achieve with platforms as shallow as 55 cm. And that is why this standard, which are a UIC standard by the way, is simply bollocks.
UIC Standards are not binding in anyway though. That is why I am talking about EU standards. Those standards are not bollocks since you'd have to change your entire rolling stock and every single station. Can you imagine of how much money we're talking about here just to remove an minor obstacle? You can't remove steps entirely anyway. If you lift entrance height to a level where steps are obsolet you can't use double decker trains (really important in some parts of Austria) anymore or you'd have to build in a step inside the car. So your just shifting the "problem" from one end to another.

And yes, right now you can enter Talents and Double Decker trains without steps.

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb