daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Old October 25th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #61
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Likes (Received): 5

i've just spent 4 hours watching this travelogue with GE turned on and some time wikipedia too
damn this trip is awesome and definitely would love to travel there... maybe situation will improve in DPRK in few years...

and at the end of part 7 there is PS for those who are planning this to repeat:

Quote:
DISCLAIMER
Alltough we succesfully entered North Korea via Tumangan, we were later via e-mail told by our travel agency, that our trip caused serious troubles at KITC (the governmental "Korean International Tourist Company") and that they have enforced new regulations to avoid any not agreed (with KITC) entry via Tumangan in future.
I can therefore - untill KITC officially accepts this border point for tourists - not recommend to repeat what we did, as trying to do so might end up with another result...
so i'm considering to wait for some better times for travel

Sponsored Links

Old October 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #62
Gag Halfrunt

The last two parts are up:

Part 8a: Kilchu - Pyongyang (1/2)

Part 8b: Kilchu - Pyongyang (2/2)
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #63
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

yep.... currently reading and not working
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #64
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 2

It's quite funny (and sad) to see that all railway stations almost look the same and that all have a big poster of a laughing Kim Jong Il.
Old October 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #65
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Kim Il Sung is on the pictures his beloved father

Kim Jong Il is just maintaining his Juche ideology with a little bit help from Songun policy...

this last part was absolutely stunning for me... few years back i googled everything i could find about DPRK cause it was so mysterious to me...
when i was reading i was surprised they are going to that border crossing cause tourists aren't allowed there... and in his story he does say how soldiers were stunned to see anyone else but those local people... i can imagine they haven't seen no one else in their life... very strange feeling i think...

in one part he says, they travel 280kms for 10 hours... a trip of some 600kms lasts whole day... that must be an remarkable experience...

in a land with massive fuel shortage, with floods every year and millions dying of famine, i can only hope that people will survive to see better days...
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #66
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 2979

Wow, what a great journey. Don't know what to say except that I am in awe.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #67
Verso
Synchronized User

Likes (Received): 1649

Awesome journey. I'm surprised at the low feedback on that forum.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #68
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

hmm i was thinking that too... but topic is located in international section and as i see most of users are from USA... so could be very little people saw it...

btw... i found information about a trip to DPRK

http://www.korea-dpr.com/kfa2007/regist-RT0209.htm

it's a little bit pro-korean... so i assume it's not for everyone... but they are offering much much more than standard tourist agencies...
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #69
WalkTheWorld
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 873

More! More!
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #70
Timon91
Error

Yes, it's such an interesting country, I read most travel reports I can find on the internet to get a good idea of the country. But that's almost impossible.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #71
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 0

I really enjoyed their reports. Me and my friends are for some time planning to go to Vladivostok by train. But North Korea? I wouldnt even think about it. These men are my heroes
My brother was this summer in demilitarized zone in South Korea and told me, that not a single tourist would be able to just reach the border
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #72
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

well DMZ is called that way cause it's a belt of no-man's land... from that side you can't possible get near NKorea border... there was an incident few months earlier when one woman got close to the fence and KPA shot her... there are news reports somewhere on internet...

i've read somewhere that they tested the old rail between two Koreas... and now seem rail is operating but only for cargo transport to Kaesong Industrial Park... according to Wikipedia, transport is very very low, 150 out of 163 return trips that had been done so far, the train carried no cargo at all...
i'm sure when all that regime ends, Korea will be connected by rail and highway as well...

regular tourist borders are at PyongYang airport and Chinese-Korean railway bridge called Friendship...
i think i would also travel there for sure... but i'm just too curious to stay only on designated routes... lol... they probably would end up searching me through PY somewhere

@vlker... man, if you're going to VV, then it's a shame not to go to Korea i would choose somewhat different solution... train from Moscow to Beijing and from there train to PY...
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #73
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 32

That's not entirely true. As a tourist you can visit Panmunjon from both the north and south side. There were tourist resorts in the north accessible from the south, but then Kim Jong Il decided to close it some time ago.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #74
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZG View Post

@vlker... man, if you're going to VV, then it's a shame not to go to Korea i would choose somewhat different solution... train from Moscow to Beijing and from there train to PY...
You know...thatīs just plans, next summer we decided to go to Pripyat - Ukraine and maybe Belarus. Vladivostok must wait
Old October 30th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #75
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlker View Post
You know...thatīs just plans, next summer we decided to go to Pripyat - Ukraine and maybe Belarus. Vladivostok must wait
wow... i wanna go to Pripyat too but my friends don't even wanna hear about that option...
if you plan something out, call me... i definitely would love to see it...
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #76
Verso
Synchronized User

Likes (Received): 1649

Pripyat? Are you crazy?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #77
DJZG
...rodjen na Balkanu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Pripyat? Are you crazy?
lol well a little bit
we shouldn't go much offtopic but i can't stand not to reply on this
it's really not that big deal going into Exclusion Zone Pripyat...
accident happened more than 20 years ago and most of the radiation in air is long gone...
99% of remaining radiation is in ground and in object such as buildings and vehicles...
true, radiation levels are much higher than normal, but to have any effect on human we would have to live there for few months...
touristic routes to Pripyat are going for few years now and everything lasts for few hours... you go in and out the same day...
so a few hours of little higher radiation can be compared like 7 days sunbathing on Adriatic coast
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #78
Timon91
Error

I'd love to go to Pripyat, I'm really anxious to see the Nucleair power plant. But I'm also just crazy
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #79
Get Smart
Pye In The Sky

Likes (Received): 7

truly excellent
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:28 AM   #80
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Pripyat? Are you crazy?
I think itīs not that dangerous. One journalist from czech rep. was with his photographer there, and they reported no problem. You must get some permition from goverment to enter the area (but according to them itīs just about corrupting some officer) and you get the geiger-computer. Then you can walk freely through Pripyat (excluding forests, where the radiation is on the higher level). After your trip, you return the geiger to security and they analyse, whether you received some dangerous level of radiation. Both the jurnalists had the radiation under the lovest level of danger.

Sry for OT

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb