daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:56 PM   #1061
traveling dude

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
With only 10 (or 12?) tracks, I fear it can be undersized within a few years...
Hem-hem................
10-12 tracks undersized?
Stuttgart 21 Hauptbahnhof: 6 tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

traveling dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #1062
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
With only 10 (or 12?) tracks, I fear it can be undersized within a few years...
Officially there are 12 tracks. 2 of them are underground and actually the main S-Bahn corridor. Other S-Bahn lines use 2 of the overground tracks. The other 8 tracks are for the rest.

S-Bahn has fly-overs for incrased capacity of the station. The great thing about the design is that the platforms are not line based but direction based. That means man transfers will be possible without even leaving the platform.
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #1063
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

8/10 tracks might handle enough train, but can make connections harder as in integral timetables trains have to be in stations at the same time, witht he station being quite empty outside the time trains connect to each other.

Stuttgart 21 will have 8 tracks, not 6, with provision for 10 - but still quite a few.

@Suburbanist (he hasn't read this post yet, but I can easily imagine what he would say had he read my post): no, integral timetable is not communism, and no, you can't run trains as they were cars, and no, all engineers whose work is planning timetables are not idiots

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Zero Gravity liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #1064
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

One question for better understanding: did I understand correctly that trains heading from Südbahnhof/now Hauptbahnhof for Brno-Prague will continue to circle around the town in a wide arc, rather than taking the direct route through town via Praterstern, as the tunnel towards Praterstern is reserved for S-Bahns?
And how do trains that used to terminate at Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof fit into the new scheme?
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #1065
Slartibartfas

Pretty much, yes. There are some regional trains and REX trains going through the main corridor though. But the main corridor is filled to the brim with a train coming every few minutes.

There is no reason to send trains from Brno-Prague via the main corridor. Taking the bypass east of the city is not really a detour. The big detour on the Nordbahn is the Nordbahn itself as it is going via Breclav which isn't exactly on a line between Vienna and Brno. And for the way to Prague the Franz-Josephs-Bahn corrdior would be the more direct connection but its a totally outdated curvy low speed rail line. You'd have to entirely rebuild it in a high speed electric double track line ... which is not going to happen, ever. We could only hope that the Czechs were to upgrade their Prague-Brno link which would directly benefit also the Prague-Vienna connection. Maybe someone could be also show the mercy eventually to upgrade the track between Vienna and Brno ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...noten_Wien.png

For the corrdiors in a European context have a look here, I am not sure how up to date it is but it gives you a good idea: http://www.dokumentationszentrum-eis...l/tenkarte.jpg

Last edited by Slartibartfas; October 4th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #1066
darthcaligula666
the train blogger

Likes (Received): 2

wow, so cool to stumble across this page

in case it is handy, i started a little blog some time ago with a lot of photos of railways stations on the queensland rail network in australia. it isnt overly exciting, but some of you may enjoy the photos.

http://darthcaligula.blogspot.com.au/

thun, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
darthcaligula666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #1067
Trupman

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
The big detour on the Nordbahn is the Nordbahn itself as it is going via Breclav which isn't exactly on a line between Vienna and Brno.
As you certainly know, the line isn't going through Břeclav for no reason. The original Ferdinand's Northern Railway connects Vienna with Cracow through Břeclav, Přerov and Bohumín. That still is a busy railway with international freight trains and few Poland-Austria ECs daily.
Old October 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #1068
thun

Welcome, my yankee friend!
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #1069
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trupman View Post
As you certainly know, the line isn't going through Břeclav for no reason. The original Ferdinand's Northern Railway connects Vienna with Cracow through Břeclav, Přerov and Bohumín. That still is a busy railway with international freight trains and few Poland-Austria ECs daily.
Yes indeed. And it is of course a better alignment for connecting Krakow than towards Prague. But I guess its the one corridor we have to live nowadays for both destinations. It is funny however that while the connection to Prague isn't exactly the fastest the one to Krakow is even slower.

Maybe we'll live to see it sped up at some point. There is potential even with mere time table optimizing etc.
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #1070
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcaligula666 View Post
wow, so cool to stumble across this page

in case it is handy, i started a little blog some time ago with a lot of photos of railways stations on the queensland rail network in australia. it isnt overly exciting, but some of you may enjoy the photos.

http://darthcaligula.blogspot.com.au/
There are no kangaroos in Austria . You might want to repost your blog in the thread for AustrALia:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1192403

Wilhem275 liked this post
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #1071
darthcaligula666
the train blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
There are no kangaroos in Austria . You might want to repost your blog in the thread for AustrALia:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1192403
the hills are alive the the sound of my aspergers! wow, so incredibly daft of me! i feel like a total daft aussie now! haha. thanks so much for pointing it out mate, i think i might jump my flying kangaroo back to my hemisphere and leave you austrian railway lovers in peace here in tranquil europe while i annoy the folk from the land down under. sorry for the trouble!!
Old October 7th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1072
rower2000

Quote:
the hills are alive the the sound of my aspergers! wow, so incredibly daft of me! i feel like a total daft aussie now! haha. thanks so much for pointing it out mate, i think i might jump my flying kangaroo back to my hemisphere and leave you austrian railway lovers in peace here in tranquil europe while i annoy the folk from the land down under. sorry for the trouble!!
No problem at all. In fact, in 38 hours I'm off to your beautiful country and very much hope to enjoy it there .
Old October 8th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #1073
darthcaligula666
the train blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
No problem at all. In fact, in 38 hours I'm off to your beautiful country and very much hope to enjoy it there .
hey thats awesome, hope you enjoy yourself! i wish i had more of a chance to see the country myself. perhaps once i graduate there will be more time for such things! are you planning on catching the trains while you are here?
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #1074
rower2000

Quote:
are you planning on catching the trains while you are here?
No, I'll stick to the car this time to have more flexibility.
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #1075
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
We could only hope that the Czechs were to upgrade their Prague-Brno link which would directly benefit also the Prague-Vienna connection. Maybe someone could be also show the mercy eventually to upgrade the track between Vienna and Brno ...
The Praha - Brno is practically finished. There could be yet some 18 minutes time gain for the Pendolino when also the remaining stations get rebuild. We had it here about possible increase of speed between Brno - Břeclav to 200 km/h but we came to conclusion that it won't happen.

The only "upgrade" is thus building of a HSR on Wien - Brno - Praha - Dresden - Berlin relation. I am quite sorry that we don't see any real plans to this project. It would be possible to finance most of it through the EU and it would be ideal project for cooperation between AU, CZ, DE. If we would include Budapest, Bratislava it would be project for 5 countries. Thus we would get:

first branch: Budapest - Bratislava - Wien - Brno - Praha - Dresden - Berlin
(some 850 kms - ideal for HSR)

Poland could get also involved with Warszaw, using the Wien - Brno track for both relations.

second branch: Budapest - Bratislava - Wien - Brno - Ostrava - Katowice - Łódź - Warszawa.
(some 850 kms - ideal for HSR)

and you would get: Praha - Brno - Ostrava - Katowice - Łódź - Warszawa.
(some 700 kms - ideal for HSR)

even Berlin - Dresden - Praha - Brno - Ostrava - Katowice - Łódź - Warszawa would be doable with 1000 kms, but I understand that direct connection Berlin - Warszawa or connection through Wroclaw would be better. But when employing Wroclav, there would be a hub in Katowice anyway.

I would see such a project for a priority in the infrastructure efforts of the Czech government. It is ideal railway infrastructure project that would be utilizing the EU money in the East Europe.

It would also work in a nice tact of half hour. With Wien - Berlin taking 3 hours, Wien - Praha taking 1,5 hour. Wien - Brno taking 0,5 hour. Wien - Warsawa taking 2,5 - 3 hours. Budapest - Wien taking 1 - 1,5 hour. Budapest - Bratislava taking 1 hour.

It would connect 6 capitals of 6 CEE countries with HSR.
It would require construction of some 1300 HSR kms. That meas € BLN 15,6 - 39 for the whole project.

That this kind of project is not going on is for me a clear failure of the Czech government as it would have the biggest interests and responsibility to put something like this in live. It should be constantly busy with lobbying this project with the other governments and the EU simultaneously. If it got the funds from the EU, it should be easier to persuade other countries. And if it had the cooperation from the other countries, it should be easy to persuade the EU as this is what the EU should be about...

Last edited by Surel; October 8th, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #1076
Slartibartfas

Would be cool [/dreaming]
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #1077
danvic

Likes (Received): 14

According to RailwayGazette Wien Hauptbahnhof was inaugurated yesterday!

Quote:
Wien Hauptbahnhof officially inaugurated
10 Oct 2014

AUSTRIA: Wien Hauptbahnhof was formally inaugurated by President Heinz Fischer when he launched two days of celebrations at the capital's new main station at 10.00 on October 10.

The through station integrates north–south and east–west routes including three TEN corridors by replacing the former Südbahnhof and Ostbahnhof termini which were situated at right angles to each other. It is expected to handle 145 000 passengers and 1 000 trains a day once fully operational.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...augurated.html
danvic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1078
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 773

Today and yesterday are/was the openening ceremony of the new station.

For rail/timetable-related people like me this is not that a big issue. Now the station building, the shopping mall and the direct connection between the station and underground and suburban platforms are open.
But train services will only change in december with the timetable change. Then also many long distance trains (basically all trains to the south/east/north, as well as ICE- and overnight-trains to the west) will serve the new station, currently it is just used for local trains.
And the station will become fully operational only in dec 2015 (after all track works are finished), when all ÖBB-long distance trains will use the new station (instead of Wien Westbahnhof).

Nevertheless, the opening event is a nice thing to introduce the new station to Vienna citizen and guests - some pictures from yesterday:

Level -2:

Level -1; view towards platform 1/2 (suburban trains):

Level -1; view up to the station hall:

Level 0; station hall:

The destinations are not yet very interesting. From december, when many long-distance trains will stop here, the following destinations will appear here:

Linz Hbf
Frankfurt(M) Hbf
Düsseldorf Hbf
Dortmund Hbf
Hamburg-Altona
Warszawa Wschodnia/Berlin Hbf/Krakow Gl.
Warszawa Wschodnia
Gdynia Gl.
Moskva Belorusskaja/St. Peterburg Vitebskij
Flughafen Wien (VIE)
Debrecen
Bucuresti Nord
Beograd
Budapest Keleti pu.
Graz Hbf
Zagreb gl. kol.
Ljubljana
Villach Hbf
Lienz
Venezia Santa Lucia
Livorno Cle.
Roma Termini/Milano Cle.
Nice-Ville
Zürich HB/Venezia Santa Lucia
Bregenz
München Hbf
München Hbf/Zürich HB
Salzburg Hbf

Looks better, doesn't it?

Who recognizes these 3 infrastrcuture projects shown in that modell:

Small photo exhibition:

Underground car park:

Southern station square with taxi places:

North-eastern entrance:

Platforms:

Part of the opening event - free Milow concert:

Aslo part of the opening event lasershow:

Northern station square:

Nachalnik
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:11 PM   #1079
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Looks really nice.

Why will some services (which ones?) stay in Wien Westbanhof until Dec 2015?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #1080
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 773

Because tracklaying at the new station will last untill dec 2015. So the capacity is limited and it is not yet possible to operate all trains.

During timetable 2015 the following train services will remain at the Westbahnhof:
IC-trains Vienna-Salzburg and beyond
RJ-trains Vienna-Salzburg and beyond (Munich/Zurich)
RJ/EC-trains Vienna-Budapest and beyond (but they will make stops at Meidling+Hauptbahnhof)
EC/EN-trains Vienna-Warsaw/Berlin (but they will make stops at Meidling+Hauptbahnhof)

Last edited by nachalnik; October 11th, 2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: nix reason
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb