daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2014, 10:29 PM   #1121
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
But this is a case like Leipzig, Bologna, or Antwerp: the majority of the station remains a terminus, but a tunnel is added for a minority of through trains. What has happened in Vienna is more radical than this: the terminuses have been replaced by a through station.
Larger examples of termini turned into through stations are both Berlin's main connectors: first the Stadtbahn and then the North-South Tunnel.

In general, there are three ways to do it:
- with a new aligment, skipping the old main terminus (happened in Braunschweig, Kassel, Porto, is being built in Torino and Firenze)
- rebuilding the terminus as a complete through structure (Berlin Ostbahnhof, Wien Hbf, Genova Principe, Stuttgart 21)
- with a tunnel under the terminus, which serves only part of the traffic (Antwerpen, Leipzig, Zurich)

We see these conversions were built on surface in older times, with cities not yet fully developed, and in tunnel in recent years.
Wien was very lucky to have the space for a complete through connection in the same spot as the old main termini.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #1122
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

I wouldn't say that the Süd- und Ostbahnhof were the "old main termini". The Westbahnhof was at least as important if not more so because the west corridor has higher ridership because it is better developed (thanks to our Lower Austrian Governor Pröll who dedicated his life to preventing the Semmering base tunnel from becoming reality and if so at least in the least attractive way).

The Westbahnhof is loosing most of its long distance trains and is being replaced by the station Meidling, which is the tandem station to the new Hauptbahnhof. This is a pretty radical change in the Viennese rail network.

But it is true of course, Vienna has been lucky that it could realize on the area of two major terminal stations. It took a new tunnel, the Lainzer Tunnel, however to connect this new station to the west corridor in an efficient manner.

Wilhem275, augmentedreality liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #1123
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yes, you are right. I just simplified a bit some concepts, but I agree with you.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slartibartfas liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2015, 02:32 AM   #1124
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Nice video catching the daily traffic at the new Hauptbahnhof

Robi_damian, Verso, augmentedreality liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:54 PM   #1125
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, SRC_100, augmentedreality liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:15 PM   #1126
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Mea culpa! And I've even taken the diretissima to Oerlikon. But this is a case like Leipzig, Bologna, or Antwerp: the majority of the station remains a terminus, but a tunnel is added for a minority of through trains.
Sorry if I quote an old post (to which I already gave an answer!), but I realized it now: Bologna is not part of that group, it was and still is an important through station with only some terminal tracks for local lines. The tunnel was added (as will happen in Firenze) only to give independence to HS traffic, which in turn liberated a lot of capacity. The plan is to use the overground capacity for through S-Bahn services.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:49 PM   #1127
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
A little further down the line trains are passing by even faster. Must be really pleasant on rainy or snowy days.

Old January 7th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #1128
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

ÖBB's new regional train called Cityjet has set foot on Austrian soil for the first time now. It is expected to enter service by the end of this year.

Source: http://www.bahnforum.info/smf/index....564#msg1647564
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1129
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Looks gud hiw many of them have they on order is it only for intercity trips or s bahn as well?
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #1130
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

ÖBB placed a firm order for 101 Desiro ML where 30 are meant so serve Vienna's S-Bahn (244 seats) and 70 are regional trains (259 seats) for the rest of the country. I suppose the 101st train also goes to Vienna as one S-Bahn Talents was lost in an accident not too long ago.
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #1131
thun

Didn't they have a completely different when they were presented to the public?

Anyway, I quite like what they went with. Looks completely different from what's on rails anywhere in Europe, I think. Still, the normal ÖBB livery for regional trains is quite good, too.
Old January 9th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #1132
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Nah, they always looked like this:

dimlys1994, thun liked this post
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #1133
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The seats in those trains are really good, they're quite comfortable to sit in. They're among the best I've seen in a regional train so far.
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #1134
Trupman

Likes (Received): 408

Czech made

Surel, PRB liked this post
Trupman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #1135
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Yes, they are. I've given a few compliments to the Borcad representative I was talking to, he was quite pleased to hear how much I liked their seats
Old January 22nd, 2015, 12:07 AM   #1136
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Amazing shot of the Mariazeller Railway from 2010. The narrow gauge class 1099 have been operational from 1910 up until October 2013:

Source: http://www.bahnforum.info/smf/index....793#msg1646793

Broccolli, thun, Qwert, pai nosso, imaginas liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:24 PM   #1137
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Have they stopped running now? If so what did they do with the locos do they still runf for sonderzug? Im going there this august wanted to see them
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2015, 05:00 PM   #1138
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Well there is a train for tourists called Ötscherbär where a 1099 is used next to a steam loco. Sadly it has an ugly brown paintjob. Days of operation (every saturday and sunday from 25.04.2015 until 01.11.2015) can be found here under the section "Ötscherbär mit Elektrolokomotive":

http://www.noevog.at/de/default.asp?...OG_R8&id=86979
Old January 23rd, 2015, 07:45 PM   #1139
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

They are gone? I didn't realize that. What a pity, that they didn't keep a few more and in the original colour scheme.

Did they also stop using the 4090? They were only 20 yars old, weren't they? What happened to them?

Except for that Ötscherbär they have only these things now, do they? Well, for the use as commuter train it certainly makes sense. And also on the touristy mountain section it has its advantages, especially the panorma cars. If I were to ride again I'd have preferred the old stuff however.

kyah117 liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; January 23rd, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #1140
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
Anyway the topic is Vienna. And I like what I see. Not spectacular but a smooth and modern design. The chosen materials are indeed similar to the modern Swiss station. Maybe that is what it makes it looks clean and sterile. Lot's of natural stones and glass for ground, floors and walls.
I don't think it's so much the materials as it is the colours. What I don't like about the new Vienna Hbf it's the dull color scale of greys that make it depressing. Otherwise it's a great station.

Referring to new Swiss train stations, Geneva for example chose warmer natural materials that make it feel way better

Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb