daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #1261
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
There's the RZD operated Moscow - Berlin - Paris - Nice service, but this does not run daily.
This service has been suspended at the moment!
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #1262
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
This service has been suspended at the moment!
What are you talking about?

Nothing has been suspended, the train from Moscow to Nice today passed Vienna punctually as every friday.
Tickets are also available untill the end of the 60-day booking period.

augmentedreality, Klausenburg liked this post
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:04 PM   #1263
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

ÖBB Annual Report

ÖBB's annual report for 2015 just came out. Unfortunately there is no english version yet.

http://blog.oebb.at/backend/wp-conte...BB_GB_2015.pdf

Below is the 37min presentation of these figures by CEO Christian Kern and CFO Josef Halbmayr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTszX-K4hyw

A standard article about future investment
- 1.3bln EUR invested into rolling stock through 2021
- newly ordered Railjets
- about 100 CityJet-trainsets to be delivered for mass transit (I've already been able to ride one in Vienna)
- new rolling stock for IC trains for the Brenner
- new locomotives for freight services (does anyone knows if this will be Taurus or a new train?)
- heavy investment into night trains as DB retreats from the market

Robi_damian liked this post
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #1264
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

4k Führerstandsmitfahrt Mittenwaldbahn / Karwendelbahn Innsbruck - Mittenwald - Garmisch

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, augmentedreality liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #1265
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
Amazing news! Will they intend to expand into the German market as well?
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #1266
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Amazing news! Will they intend to expand into the German market as well?
That's kind of the point, isn't it?

ÖBB's supervisory board has just given its consent to fund the whole expansion. 20 existing IC wagons will be remodelled into couchette wagons. Additionally ÖBB will call for offers for up to 60 used couchette/sleeper wagons and another 15 car-carrying wagons.

No concrete plans have been released by ÖBB so far, but by the way it looks atm, they will operate Zürich - Berlin - Hamburg, Hamburg - Wien/Innsbruck (train to be split in half at Nürnberg) and most likely the existing connections from Munich to Italy (Milano, Roma and Venezia).

Robi_damian, augmentedreality liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #1267
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Well, I am a bit worried about the behaviour of the DB, but on the other side it is positive that a company is taking over, which actually tries to succeed with night train services instead of actively trying to destroy, not even stopping short from doing so under false pretenses.

The big question will be if ÖBB can succeed, I seriously hope so as I personally do think that night trains offer a unique quality which neither high-speed trains nor planes (and certainly no bus or car) can replace.

Robi_damian liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #1268
Robi_damian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Well, I am a bit worried about the behaviour of the DB, but on the other side it is positive that a company is taking over, which actually tries to succeed with night train services instead of actively trying to destroy, not even stopping short from doing so under false pretenses.

The big question will be if ÖBB can succeed, I seriously hope so as I personally do think that night trains offer a unique quality which neither high-speed trains nor planes (and certainly no bus or car) can replace.
+1 The current effort to close down night trains are driven to a large extent by considerations such as cutting down costs, reducing fleet diversification, etc. Night trains themselves have not really had a "collapse" in ridership in most cases. I have used night trains extensively across Europe and I have yet to see occupancy rates below 50%.
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #1269
nachalnik

Some photos from the end april at the construction site of the Koralm highspeed line Graz - Klagenfurt (section between eastern portal of the 34 km long Koralmtunnel and the station Wettmannstätten):

Koralmtunnel eastern portal:

Future station Weststeiermark:

Future GKB line from Westeiermark station towards Deutschlandsberg as well as the new access road:

Futur GKB line from Weststeiermark station towards Gross St. Florian:

Koralm line between Weststeiermark and Wettmannstätten:

GKB train stop Gussendorf:

Nachalnik
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #1270
nachalnik

Regarding night trains: http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

THE supervisory board of Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) has approved plans to significantly increase the number of overnight trains it operates and the railway has been negotiating with German Rail (DB) to take over some of its overnight services, which are due to be withdrawn in December.

Within the next few weeks ÖBB will launch a tender for up to 60 second-hand sleeping cars and couchettes together with 15 car-transporter wagons. The vehicles are likely to be purchased from DB and ÖBB estimates the deal will have a total value of around €31m.

In addition, ÖBB has decided to rebuild 20 intercity coaches as couchettes with interiors based on a concept design unveiled earlier this year. The rebuilt couchettes are expected to enter service by mid-2019.

ÖBB says it will retain all of its existing overnight services and the network will be expanded significantly from December, with details of the additional services to be announced later this year.

In 2015 ÖBB carried around 1 million passengers on night trains which generated 17% of long-distance passenger revenues.

Already in april the plans to start tenders for a 230m EUR investment into NEW trainsets for overnight trains to Italy (as well as for a 160m EUR investment into new trainset for daytime trains via Brenner) were approved, according to http://derstandart.at/2000035560013/...-Gueterverkehr

Nachalnik
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #1271
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
+1 The current effort to close down night trains are driven to a large extent by considerations such as cutting down costs, reducing fleet diversification, etc. Night trains themselves have not really had a "collapse" in ridership in most cases. I have used night trains extensively across Europe and I have yet to see occupancy rates below 50%.
I fear there are even more destructive motivations at work. Most countries are constructing, expanding or maintaining large high speed rail networks. There is however considerable overlap between high speed rail and night trains in regards to the connections they offer. If you look at it from a positive perspective, companies are trying to reduce redundencies, from a negative view point, they are intentionally killing a service that could take customers away from high speed rail because it offers something that many would prefer over a high speed train. So they are actually killing something that many actually prefer. Does anyone have knowledge which service is more cost effective, a well run efficient night train service or a high speed service, (incl. infrastructure costs)?

I don't really have hard feelings if high speed rail replaces night trains on destinations it can do in direct journeys below 4-6 hours. But night trains can actually reach somewhat further than that and those connections are entirely lost as multiple transfer rides are tremendously less comfortable (especially with heavy luggage) and always carry delay and connection risks.

Could it be that eventually people will realize again, that there is a market for night services? Maybe the ÖBB is betting on it or why else would it take over those night train connections, some of them without a strong connection to Austria?

Robi_damian, 1+1=3 liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #1272
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Internal competition from HSR is certainly a reason why many operators got rid of night trains. I used to take the München - Paris night train when I was a kid and now for the Euros we have to take the TGV instead.

BTW: Is railjournal.com working for the rest? I cannot access the page for some reason.
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:05 PM   #1273
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
BTW: Is railjournal.com working for the rest?
Nope.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #1274
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Internal competition from HSR is certainly a reason why many operators got rid of night trains. I used to take the München - Paris night train when I was a kid and now for the Euros we have to take the TGV instead.
Last hope "external competition"?
ÖBB only has a modest high speed network and therefore less internal competition on numerous night trains corridors. ICE or Italian high speed trains might cover some of those but those aren't ÖBB services, are they? So there could be a greater motivation in taking night trains seriously as a different service category.

Question is if external competition can work. Especially in Italy they are pretty good in preventing any service they don't like, aren't they?
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #1275
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2657

Quote:
BTW: Is railjournal.com working for the rest? I cannot access the page for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nope.
[23:02:46] * Dns unable to resolve address www.railjournal.com
[23:02:59] * Dns unable to resolve address railjournal.com

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #1276
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I fear there are even more destructive motivations at work. Most countries are constructing, expanding or maintaining large high speed rail networks. There is however considerable overlap between high speed rail and night trains in regards to the connections they offer.
This is clearly the main reason behind the elimination of night trains in France
and Spain. For Germany, the necessity to renew the fleet of sleeping and
couchette cars is certainly also a factor. Investment in high speed equipment
is certainly more profitable than in night stock, because night stock can only do
one journey per night, while the high speed equipment travels many times the
same journey in a day, and carries much more people in a car.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:53 PM   #1277
danieltigo

Likes (Received): 4

Highly commendable
Old May 30th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #1278
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
For Germany, the necessity to renew the fleet of sleeping and
couchette cars is certainly also a factor. Investment in high speed equipment
is certainly more profitable than in night stock, because night stock can only do
one journey per night, while the high speed equipment travels many times the
same journey in a day, and carries much more people in a car.
Sure. But how do the full costs compare, incl. infrastructure costs and other questions regarding network capacity and usuage?
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #1279
Robi_damian

Quote:

But surely for routes such as Munich-Paris, sleepers are still an alternative. I definitely prefer 9 hours in a night train than 5 hours in a daytime HSR train. Similarly in Spain for the routes between the North (Barcelona, Bilbao, Galicia) and Costa del Sol.
Old June 1st, 2016, 07:05 PM   #1280
1+1=3

Likes (Received): 507

There is good article about this topic:
High Speed Trains are Killing the European Railway Network
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013/...y-network.html
1+1=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb