daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2016, 12:21 AM   #1321
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Does RZD risk a suspension of rights to use the segment?
That depends on how RZD handles the situation, and on how frequently it occurs. If this is the first time that it has happened and RZD can come up with a list of measures they will take to prevent this from happening again, they'll be fine.

Robi_damian liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #1322
o0ink
Alpen-Hschen der Zukunft

Likes (Received): 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Crazy for a low population village like Bad Vigaun...
Right! It's really crazy - also Kuchl Garnei or Puch Urstein (okay, at least there is the FH) got such stations in the past. Millions of € for just a few passengers a day. I passed by Bad Vigaun during my daily route to my office - in the morning / afternoon rush hour mostly there where only 0-5 people getting in or off the train. The station is just too far away from the village - that's why nobody uses it.

I hope they also will find some € for a whole new Hallein train station. The city would absolutely deserve it as the government of Hallein does a good job in attracting the cities image more and more. But then there is this really dirty and old, dark train station.

rheintram liked this post
o0ink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #1323
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Hallein is hideous indeed. Must be the the only station of 10,000+ inhabitants town that hasn't been renovated thus far. At least I couldn't think of another one right now.
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #1324
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 927

I could tell you several... Hard for one.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #1325
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

I Hard-ly ever make it past Salzburg, so that area is kind of a blind spot for me.
Old October 6th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #1326
o0ink
Alpen-Hschen der Zukunft

Likes (Received): 1302

I can count the ones for Salzburg: Zell am See, Saalfelden and Hallein are cities with more than 10K inhabitants and a train station looking like an alien.
And then there are some bigger villages like Golling, Werfen or Schwarzach with an old fashioned strain station - but they did some modern updates as well as fresh paintings within the last few years. And the style and - let's say vintage architecture - of Werfen and Gollings train stations feel pretty charming sometimes tbh.
Old October 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #1327
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
I could tell you several... Hard for one.
To be fair, that's going to happen within the next three years, together with the two-track extension of Lauterach West -> Hard-Fuach.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #1328
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 927

Rescue services in Tyrol conducted an exercise in the Brenner Base Tunnel's recue tunnel near Ampass and Tulfes.

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2802020/

About 100 fire fighters and medics and two emergency rescue trains were involved.

dimlys1994 liked this post
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #1329
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research into Vienna-Bratislava trains, and I have some questions. I'd appreciate any and all answers, even if it's just a small anecdote.

1) Why did trains go via Bratislava-Petrzalka if there was already an existing connection via Marchegg to Bratislava hl.st.?

I know the line to Bratislava-Petrzalka opened in 1998, but I haven't found any reference to the line via Marchegg - if it was open all along, why was the route via Petrzalka opened?

2) Does anyone know if passport controls were carried out in Bratislava-Petrzalka and in Bratislava hl.st. - or were they carried out on-board?

3) Is there a long term plan to consolidate Vienna-Bratislava trains into one line, or will they continue to run via both Marchegg and Kittsee?

Thank you very much in advance
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #1330
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm doing some research into Vienna-Bratislava trains, and I have some questions. I'd appreciate any and all answers, even if it's just a small anecdote.

1) Why did trains go via Bratislava-Petrzalka if there was already an existing connection via Marchegg to Bratislava hl.st.?

I know the line to Bratislava-Petrzalka opened in 1998, but I haven't found any reference to the line via Marchegg - if it was open all along, why was the route via Petrzalka opened?
It is not a totally new line, it was just not continous after WW2; the last part has been reconnected (quite some time...) after the the opening of the borders.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostbah...0.93Bratislava

Also, the railway serves a regional purpose for both Austrians and Slowaks commuting to Bratislava or Vienna from the villages the track passes through (quite some Slovaks now live in Kittsee and other places, but work in Bratislava)

Also the local train (kind-of tram) from Vienna to Bratislava via Hainburg ended in Petrzalka: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressburger_Bahn

Quote:
Hi everyone,
2) Does anyone know if passport controls were carried out in Bratislava-Petrzalka and in Bratislava hl.st. - or were they carried out on-board?

Towards hl.st., you were controlled on the train. Towards Petrzlaka, there was a border control in the station, for both arrival and departure, with no further controls. So an area where you kind-of left the country, but were still in there - like in an airport :-)
Also there was no change of conductors etc in the border stations, anyhow, the train travels just a couple of minutes in Slovakia.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

3) Is there a long term plan to consolidate Vienna-Bratislava trains into one line, or will they continue to run via both Marchegg and Kittsee?

Thank you very much in advance

I don't think see, both lines do serve not only as direct Vienna-Bratislava line, but rather regional commuters. In fact, there are very few to almost no Intercity/Eurocity style trains, but mostly regional and "regional epress" (ReX) trains.

Current efforts (started just recently, for some parts in/close to Vienna) are in electrifying the Marchegg branch, and partially doubling the line. Full duplication is decades away, though.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #1331
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Indeed. those two lines are not redundant at all. They serve two totally different commuter corridors. "Consolidating" them would be a massive reduction in service quality.

What we may see however is that finally some real intercity or express service is going to be launched in the years to come. Once the Marchegger Ast is completely electric, RJ, EC or IC trains could be easily continued from Wien Hbf to Bratislava hl. St., where travellers have direct connections to a multiute of Slovak trains.

Petrzalka, as it is today, isn't really a good option for such an intercity destination as it lacks the connections of hl. St.

Qwert liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 03:27 PM   #1332
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Austria’s rail system ‘like a heart that pumps heat around Europe’

Operator BB’s grand claim reflects network’s central role, influence but high cost

by: Andrew Byrne

FT.com. 3rd November 2016

Austria’s state-owned rail operator BB can seem omnipresent. Its fingerprints appear to be everywhere, from valuable real estate developments at historic Vienna train stations to the halls of the federal government, where BB’s former chief executive Christian Kern has been chancellor since May.

That a state railway company is so prominent underlines the importance of transport infrastructure for Austrian business. The World Economic Forum ranked Austria 14th in the world for infrastructure in its 2016 competitiveness index. That places it just behind neighbouring Germany (eighth) and Switzerland (sixth) — but Austria would rank even higher if the analysis were limited to road and rail, says Michael Peneder, a researcher at the Austrian Institute of Economic Research, which compiled the local data for the study.

This state of the art transport infrastructure and Austria’s economic wellbeing are inextricably linked, says Andreas Matth, BB chief executive.

“You need a modern, good infrastructure — in rail, roads and broadband — to support business,” he says. “Austria lies along four out of Europe's nine major goods transport corridors, so we’re in a remarkably good economic and geographical position. You can think of it like a heart that pumps heat around the European system.”

Austria’s public investment of €258 per capita in railways in 2012 was second only in Europe to Switzerland’s, at €349. The UK spent €110 per head.

Analysts say the price is worth it for the country’s outsized tourism and logistics sectors. Herbert Kasser, secretary-general at the Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology, says the benefits are even broader, citing greater labour mobility, access to commodities, tourism and opening up new markets for Austrian firms.

“This all results in long-term productivity gains and economic growth,” he says, citing a study suggesting that for every €68,000 spent on railway capital stock, an extra job is created.

Mr Peneder adds: “Business generally seeks locations that are well connected, easily accessible and attractive for people to work in.”

VC, a transport lobby group, points to improvements in rail frequency, connections and upgrades to rolling stock and stations over the past 10 years. “Austrians speak with ‘modest pride’ about the progress of the rail industry,” says Ulla Rasmussen, VC’s international transport policy co-ordinator.

The development of medium-term, six-year public investment programmes has been important to rail improvements, which involve risk analysis methods to prevent cost and time overruns.

This level of expertise has allowed Austrian engineers and planners to expand their horizons to international transport mega-projects such as the multibillion-euro Brenner Base Tunnel. Scheduled for completion in 2026, the world’s longest underground railway connection will burrow 55km through the eastern Alps to connect Innsbruck in Austria with Fortezza in Italy.

“There is a long-term strategy behind all of this,” says Konrad Bergmeister, chief executive of BBT SE, the Austrian-Italian company behind the Brenner tunnel. “Austria is a country where tourism is a governing factor. To go from Italy to Germany or from east Europe to west, you need to cross the country. This might explain why transport technology and investment is so well developed here.”

Companies such as BB are also innovating in response to changing customer demand. BB has announced it will experiment with reviving some of Europe’s night-train services, which have been slowly disappearing.

Mr Matth says BB will also launch a pilot scheme offering customers access to a fleet of cars to drive from train stations to their destination, initially partnering with Flinkster, a car-sharing company.

Little of this would be possible without large-scale public investment. BB staff members speak with pride about their rail services that are publicly owned and operated, in contrast with the UK’s semi-privatised rail system.

“The railways and roads are an important backbone for our economy. So it is right to have state influence,” says Mr Matth. “What we also notice is that integrating the railway company into the country’s infrastructure produces clearly better performance.”

VC, the lobby group, argues Austria should aim to match Switzerland’s per capita train usage by 2025. It says the average Swiss resident travels 2,429km by train per year — the highest in Europe — compared with 1,426km for Austrians, who rank second.

Rail enthusiasts believe investment in trains is good for the planet and will help cut carbon emissions. Austria, with its large logistics sector, has not met reduction targets under the EU’s 2020 programme.

“Investment in a more environmentally friendly transport system is inevitable if we want to reach our common climate goals,” Mr Kasser says.

Last edited by TedStriker; November 3rd, 2016 at 04:08 PM.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:31 PM   #1333
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 774

Austrian Federal Railways are planning to buy new rolling stock for overnight trains.
Now they built a mock-up for a 2-bed-compartment (with private bathroom) and a 4-bed-compartment to get feedback from the public.
See also https://www.facebook.com/unsereOEBB/...64219583607467. The mock-up can be visited till 15th december (mon-fri except 8th december, from 10 am tio 6 pm) at the OeBB headquarter next to Vienna main station.

2-bed-compartment:

Lower bed:

Power sockets (22V + USB):

Small table:

Monitor:

Door:

Upper bed:

Bathroom:

4-bed compartment:

Upper beds:

Lower beds:

Nachalnik
Old December 2nd, 2016, 08:08 AM   #1334
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Not bad. I find the idea to make the sleeper look more like a lounge and the beds in daytime mode like a sofa a good and overdue innovation. As with the previous mock-up couchette cars, the question pops up: where's the luggage? People these days travel with enormous suitcases, they need space, but most transport companies, no matter whether train or plane or ferry, find these a waste of space. Was there some space for them, perhaps more profound space beneath the beds, or so?

Kievlyanin liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #1335
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Austria Fast trains 160 km/h - 200 km/h - 230 km/h - Westbahn - Wienerwaldtunnel Westportal [4K]

Visit the New Jersey Section

xalexey, rheintram, pai nosso liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #1336
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

BB needs to work on the design of the RJ locos. I absolutely hate it when they are coupled the wrong way (yes, I am aware of the reason why they do it). Make it bi-directional already.
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #1337
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
BB needs to work on the design of the RJ locos. I absolutely hate it when they are coupled the wrong way (yes, I am aware of the reason why they do it). Make it bi-directional already.
Would you like to pay for all that extra costs?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #1338
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Would you like to pay for all that extra costs?
At some point they have to be repainted anyway.
Old December 6th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #1339
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

I'm surprised that a 200+ km/h line isn't fenced off or do these guys have a special permission?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #1340
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

No fences.

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, bb