daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #1361
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
Some airlines now have more comfortable seating than trains, which is outrageous.
I beg to differ.. in sardine can unless its first/business class
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #1362
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9978

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
I beg to differ.. in sardine can unless its first/business class
Increasingly less of a difference with many rail carriers, with their upright seats, lack of any compartimentation, etc.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #1363
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

Riding the ÖBB Nightjet train Hamburg - Zürich.
The sleeper train is operated by ÖBB, though, the train doesn't touch Austria.

KingNick, rheintram, Zaz965 liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1364
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Semmering

Qwert, rudiwien, rheintram, baldojak1, Zaz965 liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #1365
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5952

Finally, Vienna-Venice is added to the Railjet network in December. Travel time won't change compard to the EC but there will be 2 direct trains, instead of one per day, additionally to the night train connection.

Robi_damian, rheintram liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #1366
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

When will Railjet reach Slovenia where it's actually manufactured?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1367
vitacit

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
i took a trip bratislava - ljubljana - bratislava two weeks ago and considering rather large rail reconstructions around maribor and celje i guess railjet might reach slovenia soon. however, as a problematic i see track around sava river. too curvy, rocks... some tunnels could be bult there.

dysharmonica, Verso liked this post
vitacit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #1368
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1153

I'm not sure why you are eager to get rail jet, the comfort level is in my opinion not great, some of the older carriages have much better seats..

Regarding the track, for some stupid (marketing) reason, the rail jet is crawling also over the Semmering. It's not very worth, but if it can travel there, I'm sure it could go in Slovenia as well already now

But as long as you can't actually go more than 160km/h, there isn't really a purpose for it...

Verso liked this post
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #1369
Slartibartfas

I do think the ICE is nicer than the Raijet in terms of interior but I also don't get the hate some show against the Railjet. Especially since they stopped the travesty of the "buffet" cars and installed at least half a proper dining car. The economy seating is fine by my standards and in the higher classes it is actually very nice.

Regarding the Semmering, well it's an old story. They are finally working on that, for real. Once Semmering and Koralmbahn will be finished, a fast train will make perfectly sense on the Vienna-Graz-Klagenfurt corridor and also as a continuation to Venice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I thought the Railjet is mainly manufactured in Graz and Vienna, did they change something or what are you referring to?

Last edited by Slartibartfas; November 9th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #1370
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I thought the Railjet is mainly manufactured in Graz and Vienna, did they change something or what are you referring to?
Parts used to be manufactured in Maribor, but that is no longer the case, IIRC.

Verso, Slartibartfas liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #1371
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1153

Quote:
I do think the ICE is nicer than the Raijet in terms of interior but I also don't get the hate some show against the Railjet. Especially since they stopped the travesty of the "buffet" cars and installed at least half a proper dining car. The economy seating is fine by my standards and in the higher classes it is actually very nice.

Regarding the Semmering, well it's an old story. They are finally working on that, for real. Once Semmering and Koralmbahn will be finished, a fast train will make perfectly sense on the Vienna-Graz-Klagenfurt corridor and also as a continuation to Venice.

I don't hate the Railjet - I just think they are less nice in design (colours, window transparency!) than the older IC/EC of ÖBB, and yes, also ICE trains. Plus, the seats are a bit less comfy (less cushion), and the armrest is very small, and hard, that was better in the IC/EC trains.

But what I mostly dislike is going over the Semmering and having a display that tells me, yes, indeed, we just go 55km/h....
Yes, they are working on the tunnels, but this will still take 6-10 years, and having the RailJet in use then, when they can actually go a bit faster on some of the track, would be totally sufficient...

Verso liked this post
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #1372
Slartibartfas

Well, I suppose seating is also a matter of taste. I like the head support of Railjet seating and could not say I felt any significant reduction in cusion or comfort. I haven't done a proper investigation into that matter however.

Yes, the Semmering tunnel is a long story but it is cetainly not the ÖBB's fault. What you seem to mind is that the Railjet is being used on main corridors which are still regular speed (or below). I don't see the big issue there however. The beauty of the Ralijet concept is their universal applicability for any IC/EC or moderate high speed connection. I don't mind its use for any of that, what I do mind however is that everything is called "Railjet" nowadays. There must be some idiots in the marketing department who think that calling everything "Railjet" will make everything look fast. But instead they are merely making the term "Railjet" meaningless and nondescriptive. Previously it was clear that a Railjet won't stop in Amstetten and other smaller regional hubs. Now you can't say anything anymore and you have to study the timetable in detail.
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #1373
Slartibartfas

New timetable Dec. 2017- Dec. 2018
Some of the changes in international rail services

Regiojet Vienna-Prague
This is crazy. I might have missed the news here, but it was new to me that Regiojet is launching a Praha-Wien rail service in a month. Their Student Agency buses are known for their highly competitive pricing while offering top notch modern couches. Now they extended their rail based operations to Vienna as well.

I don't know if those prices are just a launch gimmick but a train ride Praha-Vienna, one way, for 15 €, for a leather seat, with screen, onboard entertainment system, free newspapers and one free hot drink. Travel time is 4:12 h instead of 3:57-4:04 h with the Railjet.

The price for a railjet ride Vienna-Praha is 43,90 €, standard price with Vorteilscard. Even the train bound discount tickets one has to book in advance and are limited in number did not go below 19 € until now (even though when I had a quick look I could only finde 29€ tickets). With the new competition, miraculously there will be 14 € tickets available by ÖBB.

Additional trains/connections to Prague, Brno and Katowice

REX Vienna - Bratislava - Kosice (1 daily connection, travel time Vienna-Kosice: 6:15 h)
What another pleasant surprise. Finally there is at least any direct connection beyond Bratislava. This connection isn't faster than previous ones with one transfer but direct connections are always more relaxed as one does not need to catch another train. It is a bit disappointing however that the train needs to stop for a whopping 23 min in Bratislava, which is why the direct connection isn't faster than the best transfer connection. Maybe they can streamline that as well eventually.

Extending daily Munich-Verona train to Bologna

Railjet Vienna-Venice
We had that one already, an additional daily train to Venice.3 trains per day are a substantial improvement over 2.

ICE Vienna - Frankfurt
Travel time is cut by half an hour (6:21 instead of 6:46)

Wilhem275, rudiwien, Qwert liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; November 13th, 2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #1374
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Railjets are better than Eurofima EC cars if you want to actually work on the train. The latter are rather comfortable and despite their age still in great shape. Yet many lack tables (for some reason, some of them only have these rounded ones near the windows) and the seats are not good for sitting upright either. Compartment cars are the worst and I used to avoid them at all cost (I do realize others really loved compartments...).

Last edited by rheintram; November 14th, 2017 at 09:49 AM.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #1375
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
New timetable Dec. 2017- Dec. 2018
Some of the changes in international rail services

Regiojet Vienna-Prague
This is crazy. I might have missed the news here, but it was new to me that Regiojet is launching a Praha-Wien rail service in a month. Their Student Agency buses are known for their highly competitive pricing while offering top notch modern couches. Now they extended their rail based operations to Vienna as well.

I don't know if those prices are just a launch gimmick but a train ride Praha-Vienna, one way, for 15 €, for a leather seat, with screen, onboard entertainment system, free newspapers and one free hot drink. Travel time is 4:12 h instead of 3:57-4:04 h with the Railjet.

The price for a railjet ride Vienna-Praha is 43,90 €, standard price with Vorteilscard. Even the train bound discount tickets one has to book in advance and are limited in number did not go below 19 € until now (even though when I had a quick look I could only finde 29€ tickets). With the new competition, miraculously there will be 14 € tickets available by ÖBB.

Additional trains/connections to Prague, Brno and Katowice
More details regarding that:

New departure from Vienna to Brno at 21h10 (existing Graz - Wien train will be extended to Brno)

New arrival from Prague at Vienna at 8h49 (4h49 from Prague, 7h23 from Brno, continues to Graz)

Existing train 100/101 Vienna - Bohumin - Vienna will be extended to/from Katowice (dep from Vienna at 18h10, arr at Vienna at 9h49).

Quote:
REX Vienna - Bratislava - Kosice (1 daily connection, travel time Vienna-Kosice: 6:15 h)
What another pleasant surprise. Finally there is at least any direct connection beyond Bratislava. This connection isn't faster than previous ones with one transfer but direct connections are always more relaxed as one does not need to catch another train. It is a bit disappointing however that the train needs to stop for a whopping 23 min in Bratislava, which is why the direct connection isn't faster than the best transfer connection. Maybe they can streamline that as well eventually.
On the one hand a loco-change at Bratislava is necessary (diesel-loco between Vienna and Bratislava), and on the other hand it's just a combination of two existing trains (REX Vienna - Bratislava, IC Bratislava - Kosice) which are both part of "takt"-patterns, which can't be modified so easily (especially if there is just one daily direct service).

It's IMO a 1st step for better connections to Slovakia, further steps will follow once an electrified line between Vienna and Bratislava via Marchegg is available...

BTW, there is already now a direct service Vienna - Kosice. Not during the day, but as a direct overnight service. A sleeping car of Slovak Railways connects Vienna and Kosice via Breclav - Bohumin - Zilina.

Also new:
A direct Vienna - Lviv - Kyiv sleeping car will be provided by Ukrainian Railways from dec 11th.
Vienna dep 16h42 - Lviv arr 10h10 - Kyiv arr 17h11
Kyiv dep 14h07 - Lviv dep 21h00 - Vienna arr 11h21

And unfortunately the Budapest/Vienna - Berlin overnight train will be cancelled by MAV (Hungarian Railways, they had commercial responisibility for that train), leaving Vienna - Berlin without any attractive, direct rail service.

Last edited by nachalnik; November 18th, 2017 at 01:50 AM.
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #1376
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
The price for a railjet ride Vienna-Praha is 43,90 €, standard price with Vorteilscard.
BTW, it's always cheaper to buy standard fares from www.cd.cz, as CD calculates a lower fare for the Czech section.
Standard price with VC is 867 CZK/34 EUR (without VC: 1074 CZK/42 EUR).

Also it's always worth checking both www.oebb.at and www.cd.cz for train bound tickets...

Ticket-splitting (at Brno or Breclav) can also sometimes reduce the price, as CD has - espeicially for Prague - Brno - often very cheap offers for domestic routes...

Slartibartfas, augmentedreality liked this post
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #1377
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Hi guys, greetings from neighbours. I just want to ask you what are your experiences with pedal draisines. Was it worth it? Did you sell the tracks or just let them?

Thanx

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:15 AM   #1378
touya

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
ICE Vienna - Frankfurt
Travel time is cut by half an hour (6:21 instead of 6:46)
What's the reason for the half an hour time saving? I don't remember of any important works on these trains' route?
touya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #1379
Josp64

Likes (Received): 5

Come on!

In Austria the whole route from Passau to Vienna is on work, since more than 20 years, so it is actually possible to offer shorter travel times!
Josp64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #1380
touya

Likes (Received): 15

All right, I seemed to remember the remaining works east of Linz to be completed in 2018/2019, not in 2017, but a quick check on OEBB Infrastrukur website confirms that at least the eastern approach to Linz and the St. Polten freight bypass are to be opened in December 2017.
Still, 30 min seems a lot. Have the ICE trains been routed on the slow line so far along with regio trains? Are there improvements in Germany perhaps? Maybe there a different route is taken?
touya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb