daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #1381
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

The ICE Frankfurt - Wien will be 25 (not 30) minutes faster in 2018.
Following reasons for the acceleration between on the section Nürnberg - Wien.

- The trains don't stop anymore in Wels
- There have been many improvements between Linz and Vienna in the last years. Unfortunatly the schedule of the ICE from Germany usually stayed the same.
From 2018, all improvements will be available for the ICE to/from Germany.
- There is much traffic between Wien and Linz (4-6 trains per hour!). Until 2018 it wasn't possible to find a path that allowed a higher speed.
- Between Nürnberg and Passau, the ICE will use it's tilting technology again. It had been shut off for the last 10 years.

All in all those effects will lead to a better timetable for the international trains Frankfurt - Wien. With this new timetable Deutsche Bahn needs one ICE train less for it's services to Vienna. In 2018 all ICE will arrive in Vianna at XX:45 and leave again at XX:15 back to Germany.
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:11 PM   #1382
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

Starting next sunday Westbahn will be running every 30 minutes between Vienna and Salzburg on two lines.

Klausenburg, Wilhem275 liked this post
KingNick está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:22 PM   #1383
touya

Likes (Received): 15

Interesting! So they are using the SBahn tunnel? I assumed from all the news I read so far about Westbahn adding a service to Hbf that they'd stop at surface Hbf.
touya está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #1384
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Unfortunately they do use the S-Bahn tunnel...
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #1385
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

By going this way, WESTbahn is accessible to far more resident of Vienna as they connect with all subway lines and have good connections with the S-Bahn.
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #1386
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Seems a reasonable approach.

I'm surprised mainline services are allowed in the S-Bahn corridor, but as long as there are free paths and they don't slow down S traffic, it seems a good option.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; December 4th, 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #1387
touya

IIRC as recently as some months ago the city government had asked OEBB to start designing a 15' headway service for S lines in the city tunnel, and the consensus was that it was hard due to lack of train paths to do that. Now with LP services in, it will be even harder I guess.
Old December 5th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #1388
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1170

What is the "city tunnel"?

The only thing that comes to mind when you mention the 15' interval is that the S7 (which connects Vienna to the airport) has recently (since September) doubled their number of trains per hour in peak times, from 2 (30' interval; though there were already in the afternoon sometimes 3 trains per hour) to 4, but not in a 15' interval, and with the additional trains not stopping in all stations either. See e.g. http://derstandart.at/2000063155920/...ptember-oefter (in German)

About Westbahn, I think the move is not very good for the S-Bahn. The trains are not part of the integrated traffic operators (VOR, Verkergsverbung Ost Region), so you can't use them for inner-city travels with your tickets for Vienna, and I'm also sceptic about the trains holding up traffic on the S-Bahn when they merge in...

rheintram liked this post
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #1389
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
New timetable Dec. 2017- Dec. 2018
Some of the changes in international rail services

Regiojet Vienna-Prague
This is crazy. I might have missed the news here, but it was new to me that Regiojet is launching a Praha-Wien rail service in a month. Their Student Agency buses are known for their highly competitive pricing while offering top notch modern couches. Now they extended their rail based operations to Vienna as well.

I don't know if those prices are just a launch gimmick but a train ride Praha-Vienna, one way, for 15 €, for a leather seat, with screen, onboard entertainment system, free newspapers and one free hot drink. Travel time is 4:12 h instead of 3:57-4:04 h with the Railjet.

Interesting aspect about this: the operator of RegioJet is cooperating with Keolis, which is owned by SNCF, the french national operator. SNCF is also a share-holder of the "Westbahn", which operates trains from Vienna to Salzburg and is competing with ÖBB on that service.

Now another interesting twist is that RegioJet is cooperating with the GKB (Graz-Köflacher Bahn) to offer the service from Prague to Vienna (see e.g. http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...an-market.html).
GKB is owned by the Austrian state, but treated like a private railway. Still, in some form the state is competing with the GKB against itself in the form of the ÖBB..
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #1390
touya

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post

What is the "city tunnel"?
The Stammstrecke. Sorry, "city tunnel" is an anglicism I guess.

For the 15' headway for all the S network: I remember reading of a request to OEBB by some local politician, if not something even more committing along the lines of "OEBB will study the opportunity to run the S lines every 15'". However, from your question I gather it may have been just a stunt due to the elections...?

What is the official headway for S services in the Stammstrecke? From that news I assumed the lines were exercised at 30' headway, with more trains maybe just during rush time.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #1391
rudiwien

Ok, now I understand what you mean :-) I would never associate the Stammstrecke with a "city tunnel", as on the one hand, it doesn't really go through the city (of course, that depends on what you call the city, but it is never inside the ring-road at least), and it is not that much of a tunnel either, a few stations are underground, and there is a short tunnel piece around the Hauptbahnhof.

But anyhow - what I referred to was the S7, which partially goes along the Stammstrecke, but branches off at "Rennweg":

(Also the infamous (as heavily overpriced for a ~5 minute gain) "CAT" (City-Airport train) uses that track, but stops only in Landstraße/Wien Mitte as its terminus, and then the airport.)

Other than that, on the Stammstrecke, intervals are from 3 minutes to ~9 minutes (when the CAT is running), and maybe ~16-18 trains per hour.
Old December 5th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #1392
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Why isn't CAT sent to Hbf? It makes no sense to cover the very same route of S7.

Also: is this map up to date?

https://viennamap360.com/carte/image...s-bahn-map.jpg

(large jpg)

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #1393
touya

"Premium" airport service from Hbf is covered by Railjets.

The CAT train is the usual "businessman" premium service from the city center to the airport. Kinda like the Malpensa Express from Milan Cadorna.
Old December 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #1394
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

I guess the real reason is that they invested quite a lot of money for the CAT check-in and dedicated platform at Wien Mitte.
Old December 12th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #1395
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2360

One of the issues with Westbahn using the S-Bahn tunnel in Vienna is that if a train misses its slot, due to mild delays (e.g. 2-3 mins), then it can grow into much larger delays, due to low capacity of the S-Bahn tunnel.

I was on a WestBlue service from Salzburg to Rennweg on Monday and that's precisely what happened. A 3-4 minutes delay coming into Meidling turned into a 9-10 mins delay by Rennweg. Still, Westbahn is now much easier to use for access to VIE, having in mind the easy change at Rennweg. The lack of ticket machines on the Rennweg platform is quite annoying though.
TrueBulgarian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #1396
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Ticket machines are never on platforms, but the entrances.
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #1397
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBulgarian View Post
One of the issues with Westbahn using the S-Bahn tunnel in Vienna is that if a train misses its slot, due to mild delays (e.g. 2-3 mins), then it can grow into much larger delays, due to low capacity of the S-Bahn tunnel.

I was on a WestBlue service from Salzburg to Rennweg on Monday and that's precisely what happened. A 3-4 minutes delay coming into Meidling turned into a 9-10 mins delay by Rennweg. Still, Westbahn is now much easier to use for access to VIE, having in mind the easy change at Rennweg. The lack of ticket machines on the Rennweg platform is quite annoying though.

I really do not want to make the usage of this, from a regional transit point of view, very stupid service by WestBahn, but if you need a way to quickly get a ticket @ Rennweg, just install the ÖBB ticket app, and buy it online. Works really well, and is very convenient to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Ticket machines are never on platforms, but the entrances.

Most of the times, yes, - but there are machines on the platform at least in the Vienna Airport station
As not many people know about them: if there is a queue at the machines in the entrance level, it is normally best to just buy them downstairs at the platform. Or as above, use the app
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:41 AM   #1398
bench_mark_2

Likes (Received): 1306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josp64 View Post
Come on!

In Austria the whole route from Passau to Vienna is on work, since more than 20 years, so it is actually possible to offer shorter travel times!
Is Vienna ever going to be connected to the European high speed network? I suppose the most logical line is Vienna - Frankfurt, from where there are trains to Paris and Brussels, potentially London too. The travel time should be less than 3 hours.
bench_mark_2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #1399
touya

Vienna-Frankfurt will never be significantly less than 5:30 hours, unfortunately.

This is because the travel time target for Munich - Frankfurt via Stuttgart, when all the missing HSLs are complete, will be 2:30. Via Nurnberg it's 3 hours now and again may be 2:30 in the foreseeable future. The section Munich - Salzburg - Vienna is designed with a target of 3 hours.

As per the Nurnberg - Passau way (the current route), no HSL is projected between Nurnberg and Passau AFAIK (and I'd be surprised otherwise), so don't expect any improvement...
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:52 PM   #1400
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bench_mark_2 View Post
Is Vienna ever going to be connected to the European high speed network? I suppose the most logical line is Vienna - Frankfurt, from where there are trains to Paris and Brussels, potentially London too. The travel time should be less than 3 hours.
I don't see Germany building such a connection in the next 30 years. Neither from Munich nor from Nuremberg.

Tags
austria, rail infrastructure, railways, öbb