daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #301
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Here's a random question about intermodal services.

Can someone tell me why the only intermodal services connecting to Poland cater for either the maritime market (shipping containers) or the chemical market (tanks and/or containers)?

Is there not a strong enough market to run Continental intermodal trains, as in, those carrying semi-trailers and swap bodies, to places like Duisburg, or Rotterdam?

I'm sure Kombiverkehr would be running them if there were a market, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on this subject.

Thanks.
TedStriker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #302
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Can someone tell me why the only intermodal services connecting to Poland cater for either the maritime market (shipping containers) or the chemical market (tanks and/or containers)?
What do you mean with intermodal exactly? Probably everything coming by ship will be intermodal, because one needs to carry the container inland.

One big product of Poland is coal, so there is intermodal transport when people get coal from the trains and put into trucks to distribute to the houses. Or doesn't that count as intermodal? The largest part of coal wouldn't be intermodal, because it can just go from mines to the power plans the full way on rail.

Other products from Poland are made in relative small amounts, a lot of european heavy industry has moved to China, that should be obvious to anyone, and heavy industry is a big user of rail. You correctly pointed that Poland has a strong chemical and fertilizer industry, so I see how that heavy industry would like to use rail to export, and it will necessarely have to intermodal to reach end users in farms and also to go across the ocean.

Mining is declining in the entire Europe due to depletion, and mining is one of the most heavy users of rail.

What else is transported across Poland that you think would benefit from rail or intermodal transport?

Quote:
Is there not a strong enough market to run Continental intermodal trains, as in, those carrying semi-trailers and swap bodies, to places like Duisburg, or Rotterdam?
I've never seen this in Poland and I assume this kind of transport does not exist here. What kind of cargo is it used for? From what I've read, this style of transport is a niche market. How much can it save in freight costs?

I am no cargo industry owner, but I suppose that the road transport owners don't see a business case in doing that, otherwise they would do it.

There is a campaing in favor of that: http://www.tirynatory.pl/

But the campaign is very missguided, because it seams focused on getting rid of the trucks from roads and highways so that people can more easily drive their cars. It is also missguided in assuming that the government should implement that, while European Union guidelines are exactly the opposite: Rail freight ought to have more competition, that means that private companies should enter the market and figure for themselves how to run it.

Instead of asking the government to run freight companies they should ask the government to invest more in the maintenance and modernization of rail lines, so that they can be faster. I assume this could atract more cargo too.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #303
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

To gain an insight into what intermodal transport is all about, please browse through these two sites:

http://www.kombiverkehr.de

http://www.hupac.ch

So yes, while trains carrying deep sea shipping containers are an example of one type of intermodal service, they are not relevant to the domestic European market.

My question about piggyback semi-trailers is, on the other, focusing on this market.

The type of cargo that you'll find within intermodal trailers and swap bodies is exactly the same as that you'll find within trucks you only see being driven on roads. They can contain just about anything, in other words.

If you look at the network map of Kombiverkehr, for example, you'll see that it runs a service down to Lovosice in the Czech Republic. This carries semi-trailers.

I would have thought that there is enough traffic centering on Warsaw, for example, that would enable Kombiverkehr to begin a similar service to link with, say, Duisburg.

Back in 1995, in fact, there had been an experimental piggyback intermodal service between Rotterdam and Poznan. I can only imagine this came to an end due to traffic levels being too low.
TedStriker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #304
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

How long is the travel between Gdansk and Reszow ?

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #305
maślak86

Likes (Received): 0

if you're lucky and don't have to change your train - 12 hours
Otherwise something about 13-18 hours depending on the number of changes...
maślak86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #306
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:53 PM   #307
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
Your best bet is to fly
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #308
sekelsenmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
You can easily search for that kind of information yourself:

* http://rozklad-pkp.pl/
* DBahn website

Having said that, there is 1 direct train per day which takes 12 hours...

Gdańsk Główny 09:04 EX 5310
Rzeszów Główny 21:12

pociąg z rezerwacją miejsc, obowiązek dopłaty, przewóz rowerów, wagon barowy, przesyłki konduktorskie za opłatą, PKP Intercity, Wagon bezprzedziałowy

Old June 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #309
maxarch
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

del
maxarch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #310
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 172

I plan on going to Warsaw in Sept next year? Will the rail link between the airport and the city centre be open and fully operational by then?
It will be so much easier taking the train into the city rather than the bus.
How is construction of the station underneath the airport going?
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #311
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
Will the rail link between the airport and the city centre be open and fully operational by then?
No.
Quote:
How is construction of the station underneath the airport going?
Ongoing, delayed.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #312
sekelsenmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Your best bet is to fly
In something like 2 years, after the current set of improvements is finished, the time in this route will be around 9h. Unfortunatelly the only service is during the day, it could be quite attractive with a night train. Wroclaw-Gdansk would also be attractive at night. You loose even less day time then flying, because most of the trip is done sleeping.

With the current 12-hours travel rail still has at least 1 advantage: It is much cheaper then flying.

Old June 25th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #313
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

I'm amazed by Polish optimization of infrastructure.
Everything is very rational and thanks to Google Chrome automatic translation I deeply enjoy watching Polish threads with wonderful refurbishment of trams, permanent upgrades of existing rails, etc (and reconstructions and revitalization of commieblocks, heritage and historical centers)!

Amazing country, I can't wait to visit it! Congrats!
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #314
Chris80678

Apparently the rail link between Warsaw city centre and Warsaw Okecie airport is not ever going to be used because the train station underneath the airport terminal cannot be finished because of a lack of funds . This is disappointing as Euro 2012 would be the perfect chance for Warsaw to have a decent rail link to its airport rather than relying on the existing bus link.
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #315
ja_kubek2
User

Likes (Received): 13

How did you know that? I didn't find anything about it on polish forum.
ja_kubek2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #316
v_florin

Likes (Received): 474

Isn't it a bit silly to assume that the rail link will never be used, given that construction is advanced on all its facilities?? Sure, it might be late, might not be ready for Euro 2012, but it will eventually be finished...
v_florin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #317
Chris80678

So the railway spur connecting Okecie airport to the mainline between Warsaw and Kraków is complete? I wonder when the airport station and facilities will be finished then? There isn't a website to go to to find about how the building of the rail line and airport station is going
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #318
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
Apparently the rail link between Warsaw city centre and Warsaw Okecie airport is not ever going to be used because the train station underneath the airport terminal cannot be finished because of a lack of funds
What's the source of these news?
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #319
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

It is under construction, should be done in december 2011. It's the part of S2 line of Warsaw SKM.
Polish thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=238549
Map of SKM in Warsaw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Proba_4.svg
Trains:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocentX View Post
New trains for SMK :

And here it is thread about public transport in Warsaw:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=220086

Last edited by PiotrG; July 11th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #320
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2187

up

Tags
railway, trains