daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #541
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

Are there any plans to build high speed lines in Poland? By which I mean TGV/ICE style systems.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #542
TranslatorPS

Likes (Received): 37

There were plans for the so-called "Y" hsl, from Warsaw via Łódź to Wrocław or Poznań. Planned max speed was to be 350km/h with the completion planned by 2020, but personally, in all honesty, the way the network is right now, I'd rather eat my own shoe than let them build that The Bureau in charge of the whole thing was dismantled anyway, so I don't see much chance for it. Right know it's all revitalisation/modernisation boom, both in the infrastructure and the fleet.
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #543
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I thinK that short of some major crisis this idea will come back in 15-20 years after the current modernisation programm is finished and the main motorway network is complete as well. Poland is well suited for HSR, but perhaps a bit early right now.

Last edited by Sunfuns; December 24th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #544
Sponsor

Only Wrocław - Łódź section seems reasonable to be taken (+ Warsaw perhaps) since there are no good connections between them. As for now trains from Wrocław to Warsaw go via Poznań or Katowice.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #545
Fallout
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Likes (Received): 1350

Which is ridiculous IMO. 1st 3rd and 4th city of Poland lie almost in one line and there's no rail connection between them.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.
― Hermann Göring

The monster never dies, no matter how many times you kill it. It just sheds its skin and changes form.
― William J. Blazkowicz
Fallout está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #546
phantom23

Likes (Received): 2694

There is no direct connection between Łódź and Wrocław. Spending 30 billion zl for one line where most of other lines are in terrible condition doesn't make sense.
phantom23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #547
TranslatorPS

Likes (Received): 37

And before anybody jumps out, I suggest that one crosses OLT out at instant from that picture two posts above...

I can think of at least two or three rail lines in Poland which require instant works upon to either bring them back to use (OK, I won't mention the mentality of Little Poland Vo.'s Marshal Office regarding their beloved minibuses) or bring their standard up in order to not get abandoned (this everlasting paper pushing 'round here drives me nuts). I can also safely say that the cost of this would stay withing the 30b PLN above mentioned.

Regarding Warsaw - Wrocław, the Koniecpol line seems to be a quite valid option regarding that at a relatively humane cost the Vmax can be brought up to 160km/h, with a connection to the CMK and the already-modernised E-30 corridor (I believe the western sections are modernised, rrrright?) and cutting the journey time reasonably. This would mean 120-160km/h from Wrocław to Opole (forgive me, I am not exactly aware of the Vmax there), up to or, hopefully, 160km/h between Opole and Włoszczowa (via Fosowskie, Lubliniec, Częstochowa and Koniecpol, therefore the name) and 200km/h on the CMK. Inforail.pl claim that this would mean the journey time would be down to a humane 3:30, whereas the 2011/12 schedule claimed that the fastest route via Poznań took ca. 5:30. Possible? Yes. Relatively low cost? Probably. Do we need to spend billions upon billions on a line that would mean slow but effective degradation of the whole network? No. That's my POV at least.
Now, I did take part in a couple of debates in school before, so...
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #548
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

That's kind of like what I said, only in more detail

Once some of this is done and if Poland continues to become wealthier, the idea for a brand new line will come back. I'd be willing to bet on it New HSR lines aren' built only for higher speed, but also for increase in capacity (passenger + freight on the old slower lines)
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #549
phantom23

Thing is - slower lines are quite degraded and even though we're still not even close to their full capacity. We must restore them to attract people for railways - right now we don't have enough traffic and HSR trains with expensive tickets would be empty. More - new Interregio trains (operated by Przewozy Regionalne) are very popular, they don't offer any comfort but tickets are 10€ instead of 12€ in classic economy train (TLK, operated by PKP Intercity). I just don't think that there would be a few million passengers ready to pay 30-40€ for the cheapest HSR tickets. I'm not totally against HSR in Poland, just not now. We have to fix our stadnard railways to think about next step.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #550
phantom23

Newag 31WE speed test (200km/h):

Last edited by phantom23; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM   #551
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

From International Railway Journal, 20th February 2013

PKP Cargo to acquire ZSSK Cargo?

POLISH State Railways (PKP) subsidiary PKP Cargo has become the latest potential buyer to be linked with ZSSK Cargo as the Slovak government continues its search for a strategic partner for the ailing Slovakian state-owned railfreight operator.

Last month the prime ministers of the Czech Republic and Slovakia said the two countries were considering a merger between CD Cargo and ZSSK Cargo. However, CD Cargo is grappling with financial problems of its own, having made a loss of around €9m last year.

With doubts growing over the merger, PKP Cargo has started talks with ZSSK Cargo. PKP Cargo currently competes with ZSSK Cargo, operating freight trains through Slovakia into Hungary and it also holds a license in Austria. Cooperation would ease the situation between the two.

Furthermore, there is a real risk that ZSSK Cargo might lose significant coal and ore traffic in eastern Slovakia. US Steel's Kosice steelworks is currently for sale and if Russian or Ukrainian investors take over, as is widely anticipated, steel production is likely to move further east.

ZSSK Cargo has accumulated debts of €600m and the workforce is to be cut by 600 this year.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:07 PM   #552
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12647

2 films from Wolsztyn in Poland (Locomotive Parade) 2013

Rusonaldo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:14 PM   #553
gnesener

Likes (Received): 329

Wonderful view...
gnesener no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 06:12 PM   #554
phantom23

So it's time for something more modern. Newag Griffin locomotive started homologation process at the Żmigród test center.

[IMG]http://oi42.************/2dmgho5.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.rynek-kolejowy.pl/44928/_...migrodzie_.htm
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:19 PM   #555
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

PESA 630M-004

Newag Griffin

rakcancer liked this post

Last edited by Nowax; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Nowax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:04 PM   #556
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Regular cargo train links China, Poland

WARSAW, May 21 (Xinhua) -- A regular cargo train connection between Poland and China was officially inaugurated on Tuesday.

Local media reported that the train with 41 containers from China arrived at the Lodz train station in central Poland in May, having travelled nearly 10 thousand kilometers in 15 days.

The train from China to Poland crosses Kazakhstan, Russia and Belarus. A train is scheduled to leave China for Poland every week.

The rail transport is organized by China's Chengdu Hatrans YHF Intermodal Logistics, while the Lodz-based logistics firm Hatrans is the train operator in Poland.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/xinhua/...t_9097929.html

rakcancer liked this post
lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #557
phantom23

Polish Pendolino is almost ready:

eicpremium.intercity.pl

twitter.com/SlawomirNowak

Final livery:

twitter.com/SlawomirNowak

SAS 16, asahi, KingNick, Deo, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post

Last edited by phantom23; May 28th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #558
panthiocodin

Likes (Received): 574

epic stuff! fab just cant wait to see them in use
panthiocodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #559
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

Nice livery! I was really worried they chose something hideous, as always.
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #560
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Polish Pendolino in PKP Intercity colors:

rakcancer, Deadeye Reloaded, loloo liked this post
Bart_LCY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
railway, trains