daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #761
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1040

I'm so jealous, as an American, of all the investment going into the Polish rail system: beautiful new and refurbished stations, smooth, straight, fast tracks, and lovely modern trains. Makes me want to move to Poland .

igorlan, Johnny Blade liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #762
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 19097

Trust me, rail system in Poland is ridiculusly bad, and will be bad for long time...

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #763
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4625

It might be better than in America though.

SAS 16 liked this post
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 02:05 PM   #764
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Small photo intermezzo

Old January 31st, 2014, 06:39 PM   #765
Hoff
O-P-E

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm so jealous, as an American, of all the investment going into the Polish rail system: beautiful new and refurbished stations, smooth, straight, fast tracks, and lovely modern trains. Makes me want to move to Poland .
The government started investing decent money into the railway system only recently, after more than 20 years of hiatus. What you see here is only a small percentage - on vast majority of the Polish railway system time stopped somewhere in mid-80s.

Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post
Hoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:46 PM   #766
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

It's a start at least and pretty impressive one too. Passenger rail in the US is still stuck in mid 20th century and there are countries that don't have any!
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:49 PM   #767
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Lines on which PKP Intercity will offer its passengers wifi, games and TV-programs, starting this year.

Urbanista1, Klausenburg liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:03 PM   #768
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

Is there a map of railway quality in Poland, similar to the one with the roads and motorways?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:22 PM   #769
Hoff
O-P-E

Likes (Received): 524

http://www.plk-sa.pl/fileadmin/PDF/m...nie_ILK_HC.pdf

Here's a map with top speeds allowed by our network administrator (PLK).
Hoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:22 PM   #770
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Trust me, rail system in Poland is ridiculusly bad, and will be bad for long time...
it never ceases to amaze me how much bad PR Polish people give their own country whether they live inside Poland or have emigrated. Seriously folks if you want Poland to become better, don't crap all over it at least try to boost morale with some positive comments, the country has been through a horrible 60 year ordeal of oppression, neglect and destruction, followed by the single worst act of destruction of any nation in history, give optimism a chance, nie?

I have travelled throughout Poland in the last few years and must say rail travel was excellent something Canada and Us would envy, but this last year was not good due to heat wave and construction on Warsaw-Gdansk line which slowed things down.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

JanVL, Bart_LCY, Rombi, McKowski, igorlan and 2 others liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:45 PM   #771
arct
Inżynier Beton

Likes (Received): 2061

http://t.co/rWf3afMfV4 Oh really should we be sooo exited that 'the ATMs' (for those who don't know, 'ATM' ("bankomat" in polish) is rail slang who never worked in PKP but is part of head management of the company) from PKP Intercity are destructing whole passenger railway system? Railway, in which (in communist era!) was built SECOND in the WORLD High Speed Rail line??
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:49 PM   #772
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

East Europeans are not into optimism

loloo liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:24 AM   #773
arct
Inżynier Beton

Likes (Received): 2061

How can you be an optimist, when somone spends 2 500 000 000 EUR for modernization of E65 corridor to allow trains to go PARTLY 200 km/h?? Modernization, which ongoes for 9 years, and it's fairly possible that it will end in Q2/Q3 of 2015? In this time, with the same money (or even less, 1 km of HSR in Poland would cost similarly as in Portugal, 6-7 mln €) we would be able to build over 300 km extension ofCentral Rail Line (the HSR which I was talking about in previous post)?? About 1/3 of these extension is almost ready to for construction! (ofc. we don't have environmental documents and construction project) How can you enjoy the fact, that for higways and expressways goes 35 000 000 000 EUR, but our minister of infrastructure says that HSR is "extremely expensive project" (which is bulshit, because cost of HSR is 70% of highway cost- cost of whole HSR line called Ygrek (about 450 km long) was 4-5 bilion €)?? That's the reasons, for which we should rejoice and be glad to our government, that they are RUINING our rail system??
Is it sustainable transport?? Because I don't think so.
Old February 1st, 2014, 12:30 AM   #774
aquaticko

It sounds to me as if your problem with rail being upgraded in Poland is less over that there's not enough of it or too much, but how it's being done. That's a fair discussion to be had, but again, as a person living in a country wherein rail is only now being given intermittent, insufficient, halting attention after half a century of total neglect, the fact that Poland's rail system is going through such dramatic changes at all is enviable, even if maybe investment should be expended in different ways from how it currently is.
Old February 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM   #775
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 19097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
it never ceases to amaze me how much bad PR Polish people give their own country whether they live inside Poland or have emigrated. Seriously folks if you want Poland to become better, don't crap all over it at least try to boost morale with some positive comments, the country has been through a horrible 60 year ordeal of oppression, neglect and destruction, followed by the single worst act of destruction of any nation in history, give optimism a chance, nie?

I have travelled throughout Poland in the last few years and must say rail travel was excellent something Canada and Us would envy, but this last year was not good due to heat wave and construction on Warsaw-Gdansk line which slowed things down.
I'm sorry, but I don't care how bad rail system in US or Canada is. I can see polish is worse than ukrainian tho. And much worse than czech, german, austrian. Don't know how about Slovakia but considering It used to be Czechoslovakia - propably worse too.
And hold your tongue about 'giving crap' all over Poland when you don't understand how our transport system works (or doesn't). It's pretty small country and yet you still can't get from central Łódź to some parts of it in less than 8 hours. No matter what transport option you will choose - tran, car or plane.

So you can spread your wise words form Canada, but It will not change the fact that it is still bad. Of course - improving, but my comment was about present state, not tendency.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Scizoid.Trans.Prog. liked this post
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 01:56 PM   #776
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Poland is larger than Italy so by no means a small country. Not in European context anyway (9th biggest on the continent).
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 03:23 PM   #777
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

A significant share of these "red" lines (max. speed 5 - 35 km/h) is electrified, with the construction speed up to 120km/h or even more. There are also thousands of temporary speed limits, not visible on the map. The black lines (0 km/h) shown there are existent and unused, but on top of that there are thousands of kilometres of lines already dismantled. There's nothing to brag about.
When you travel on main lines, like (Berlin) - Poznan - Warsaw or Warsaw - Katowice/ Kraków, there's not so much to complain about. If you try to go elsewhere, it's tough.

Last edited by eu01; February 1st, 2014 at 03:30 PM.
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 04:49 PM   #778
aquaticko

But that's true of probably every country except Japan. Rail, high speed or otherwise, is only typically used to connect population centers, not all cities. I'll put it to you this way. America's largest set of cities, those in the Northeast Corridor, are the only ones connected by a rail line that has speeds in excess of 200km/h, and those speeds are only achieved for a small portion of the line (maybe 1/3rd). For the rest of the trip, there is a huge variability in speed, such that over the entire line, the average speed is ~110km/h. Any city which isn't within the Northeast Corridor has rail connections that have speeds along their whole length averaging closer to 90km/h. It sounds as though you already have at least a few rail connections that are about as good as our best.

The point here to remember is that, even if Poland's passenger railway system isn't yet as good as America's, it's very close behind, and there's lots of investment going into it, which the U.S. railway system doesn't have (and remember, Poland's GDP PPP per capita is a little less than half of the U.S.'). Poland is investing in its infrastructure future, even if it has to make up for how bad it is now to catch up with other developed countries. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about Poland's modern politics, but the fact that your leaders can agree on action like this is something to be thankful for.

SAS 16, Trafny liked this post
Old February 1st, 2014, 06:29 PM   #779
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4625

Yea but from what I heard American infrastructure is in the worst condition among developed countries, not to mention it's a car nation since decades so the fact that public transportation in Poland is more developed (excluding subway perhaps) and we can compare our railway networks isn't such a great achievment. GDP PPP doesn't seem to be an issue here, China have pretty impressive infrastructure with less than half of Polish wage. Actually cheap labor probably makes it easier.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:52 PM   #780
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
It might be better than in America though.
Hard to compare. Americans don't rely on inter-city rail as much as Europeans, most people just use the extensive interstate network and drive (or fly, considering the size of the place). I think Poland might finally be getting more new, high-quality and comfort locomotives and wagons, but then there's the other side of it, where there are still trains that are in such awful shape that it seems unbelievable. There is more uniformity and a more consistent standard in the US, but Poland seems to have more of a swing when it comes to really nice or really disgusting and old trains. I went to use the washroom in a Polish Intercity train (from Gdansk to Warsaw, so not exactly a minor line) and I almost puked when I went in there. It looked and smelled like something you'd find in Bangladesh. Also, there seems to be less organization in Poland. Here in North America, trains have assigned seats or at least they sell only enough tickets so that everyone can sit. In Poland, I saw people all over the corridors or standing in the aisle between seats, it was crazy, especially since they were long-distance trains. Either way, Poland is improving its rail infrastructure and trains, but it will be a little while until they get everything sorted out.

Tags
railway, trains