daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #821
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26196

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...done-deal.html

Coach order a done deal
27 Mar 2014

POLAND: PKP Intercity is expected to confirm a contract shortly for FPS to supply 20 long distance passenger coaches for Warszawa – Pozna – Szczecin services. Valued at 148 million złoty, the deal covers eight first class, 10 second-class and two restaurant cars, specifying air-conditioned vehicles suitable for 200 km/h operation.

Several manufacturers had expressed interest in the tender, but when the bids were opened last month the railway only received one offer. This was submitted by FPS and PTS, which are both subsidiaries of the government’s industrial development agency ARP.

Industry insiders suggest that the prospective bidders soon spotted that FPS had already built 20 coaches to the exact specifications during 2012, as a job creation project. Funded by PTS, the vehicles had even been painted in PKP Intercity livery. So although the railway was obliged to go out to tender under EU procurement rules, the other suppliers felt that the outcome was likely to be a foregone conclusion, and decided it was not worth bidding
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #822
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

That is a shame.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #823
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

(c)gigabit

http://rail.phototrans.eu/14,88131,0...E6ACT_008.html

kyah117, Klausenburg, Baxon79, oxyuranus liked this post
Nowax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #824
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

I would like to ask if the intercity trains arrive on time in Poland. Next month I am going to travel between Gdansk and Warsawa and have to arrive on time at the Warsaw airport. Could you give me an advice: May I relay on the train punctuality?
intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #825
Gokufan

Likes (Received): 2331

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligentBG View Post
I would like to ask if the intercity trains arrive on time in Poland. Next month I am going to travel between Gdansk and Warsawa and have to arrive on time at the Warsaw airport. Could you give me an advice: May I relay on the train punctuality?
I travel by PKP Intercity a lot, and they're usually on time. Rarely delayed for about 15 minutes. Well, I had some problems in winter when everything was frozen one day, or when there was an accident and trains were blocked, but it's completely random so it's hard to blame PKP for it.
Gokufan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #826
arct
Inżynier Beton

Likes (Received): 2061

Well, depends which train will you choose. If you'll go through Iława, you can get quite big delay due to modernisation of E65 Corridor (Gdańsk- Warsaw). When finished, there will be Pendolino trains traveling between Gdańsk and Warsaw up to 2,5 hours, and then definitely I would recommend choosing train. But for now, if you need to arrive to Warsaw airport I would recomend choosing an airplane. But don't choose Ryanair- they fly from GDN to Modlin (it's polish London Luton- to get to the Warsaw Airport you will have to travel 44 km by train or car). Best choose IMO is Eurolot.
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #827
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Today the first Pendolino entered the newly built service center near Warsaw

http://forsal.pl/artykuly/789891,oto...e-zdjecia.html
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #828
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

PKP has announced estimated travel time for Pendolino trains in December 2014 and December 2015 on routes from Warsaw to Gdansk, Krakow, Katowice and Wroclaw.

SAS 16, Deo liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #829
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Looks promising, but why the difference between 2014 and 2015? How many trains a day are likely to run those routes? The route to Wroclaw seems to be significantly slower than the other three...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #830
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Looks promising, but why the difference between 2014 and 2015? How many trains a day are likely to run those routes? The route to Wroclaw seems to be significantly slower than the other three...
Wroclaw is completely in the South-West of Poland, closer to Germany and the Czech Republic, so further from Warsaw than f.e. Krakow.
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #831
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
Wroclaw is completely in the South-West of Poland, closer to Germany and the Czech Republic, so further from Warsaw than f.e. Krakow.
Wroclaw is 50 km further by road (google maps), 1 h 10 min more by train. It must be that the train line to Wroclaw has a significantly lower average speed.
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #832
Deo
You know...

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:
Red - under modernization:

Quote:
Originally Posted by re-drum View Post
Mapa modernizacji linii kolejowych w Polsce v.3
stan na 22 sierpnia 2013

Deo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #833
dual-core power

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Wroclaw is 50 km further by road (google maps), 1 h 10 min more by train. It must be that the train line to Wroclaw has a significantly lower average speed.
There is just no direct connection between Warsaw and Wroclaw, the trains have to go through Poznan or Katowice (or nearby).
dual-core power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #834
kolejorz.
let's trains!

Likes (Received): 1090

Quote:
Some sections of the lines will be still in modernization, that's why.

Concention Wroclaw - Warsaw will be realized partly on the line with max speed 120 km/h (proteza Koniecpolska, through Koniecpol and Czestochowa).
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #835
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 774

An overview about the planned travel times and the average speeds achieved show that the route to Wroclaw isn't really much slower than the other routes:

Code:
                               2015           2016
Warszawa - Gdansk (329 km):    2h58 111 km/h  2h37 126 km/h 
Warszawa - Krakow (292 km):    2h28 118 km/h  2h12 133 km/h
Warszawa - Katowice (297 km):  2h34 116 km/h  2h19 128 km/h
Warszawa - Wroclaw (420 km):   3h42 114 km/h  3h26 122 km/h

The distance to Wroclaw was calculated using GoogleEarth via CMK - Koniecpol - Czestochowa Stradom - Opole.
The other distances are from the European Rail Timetable book.

Nachalnik
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #836
Sunfuns

Basically what I didn't know is that the rail route to Wroclaw is much less direct than the one to Gdansk, Krakow or Katovice.
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #837
arct
Inżynier Beton

Likes (Received): 2061

It would be direct and realy fast (300 km in 1,5 h) if we would have bulit High Speed Rail Line. There was economicomical and enviromental study on HSL called Ygrek, but in 2011 government suspended that project to... 2030 despite the fact that study has said that that HSL is realy good idea and should be bulit NOW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Poland
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #838
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

In the 19th century, after a series of partitions, the Polish state didn't in fact exist. Warsaw has been on the territory of Russia, Wroclaw (Breslau) was a town in Germany. The Russian tsars just didn't want any links with West (an exception being Vienna), no permissions for direct lines were granted. Even between Warsaw and Poznań the direct rail link has been constructed as late as 1922, after Poland regained its independence.

Even after WW2 you were able to guess the former border between Eastern Poland (former Russian territory) and its Western part (Germany) looking at the density of the rail network there. Extremely well developed local lines in former Germany versus just a two or three main lines inherited from Russia in the entire East (a part with the different gauge btw.).
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #839
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9122

Wrocław (Breslau), as all Silesian region, belonged to Germany many years before series of partitions.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #840
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

The railway network in the "German" part of nowadays Poland did develop almost equally well regardless of how many Poles lived there. Very few lived in Breslau, over 90% majority in Poznań or Bydgoszcz - but the post-war railway map of Poland shows almost equal density.
In fact the significant part of the former rail network on Polish territory doesn't show on the above map any more. The entire rail infrastructure on some (Polish) lines became dismantled and "exported" to Soviet Union by Eastern "friends" already in 1945, partially never re-built.

Tags
railway, trains