daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1081
thompsongda

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_07 View Post
First Pendolino train in Poland:

Let's be honest. 350km in +3hours, after some modernizations...That's kinda embarrassing, really. Also why the hell they decided that train has to stop on those small stations? What's the point?
thompsongda no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #1082
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Why embarrassing? It's not on a purpose built HS line. Significantly faster than driving and that's the most important point.

Urbanista1 liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #1083
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but why did PKP order non-tilting Pendolino trains? Couldn't they have increased operating speeds if they'd opted for tilting trains or is there an issue why that's not possbile or practical (loading gauge limitations, for example)?

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; December 16th, 2014 at 09:16 AM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1084
Rombi

Likes (Received): 305

I was wondering too about this issue but I read somewhere that decision was motivated by the fact there is too little curves on a track to make tilt system profitable.
Bo właśnie w podróży, rano, w obcym mieście, zanim druga kawa zacznie działać, doświadcza się najmocniej dziwności własnego, pozornie banalnego bytu. Podróż jest po prostu stosunkowo zdrowym rodzajem narkotyku.
Andrzej Stasiuk
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #1085
Sponsor

That is right. On Warszawa - Gdańsk route there would be only 5 minutes saved, on Warszawa - Kraków 2 minutes, on Warszawa - Katowice 0 minutes. Don't know about Warszawa - Wrocław, there are many tight curves.

Last edited by Sponsor; December 16th, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #1086
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but why did PKP order non-tilting Pendolino trains? Couldn't they have increased operating speeds if they'd opted for tilting trains or is there an issue why that's not possbile or practical (loading gauge limitations, for example)?
It would've been a PLN 200M extra investment per train for a maximum 15-minute saving on KRK-GDY or GDN-WRO. Not worth it. For the extra costs involved in getting tilting pendolinos PKP IC can buy three complete PESA DART sets, which is currently certified for 160 km/h, and in the future for 200 or even 250. Very reasonable move if you ask me, I'd rather see all Polish cities >200.000 inhabitants connected with good train service, than just five of them with excellent train service and no improvement for the rest.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #1087
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
It would've been a PLN 200M extra investment per train for a maximum 15-minute saving on KRK-GDY or GDN-WRO. Not worth it. For the extra costs involved in getting tilting pendolinos PKP IC can buy three complete PESA DART sets, which is currently certified for 160 km/h, and in the future for 200 or even 250. Very reasonable move if you ask me, I'd rather see all Polish cities >200.000 inhabitants connected with good train service, than just five of them with excellent train service and no improvement for the rest.
The interesting point is whether some other unit would have not been then better and cheaper. E.g. RailJet?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #1088
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The interesting point is whether some other unit would have not been then better and cheaper. E.g. RailJet?
Probably. As far as I know, PESA actually started developing the DART simply because there isn't that much good, cheap and versatile "low-" HSR material on the market. It's either like 300-330 km/h, ridiculously expensive sets by Siemens or Alstom, or equally expensive tilting pendolinos or X2000s with a relatively low top speed. The Danish and Dutch wanted something decent, capable of "moderate" high speed and they ended up contracting an Italian tram producer for that, which didn't end well. We got rather expensive non-tilting pendolinos. I think PESA made a really smart move "jumping" into the market for 200-250 km/h HSRs, as outside Germany and France, few countries can afford building the infrastructure for a 300-330 km/h network, and the ones that can, are so small that these speeds don't make sense.
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #1089
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Price per unit for the Pendolino is 20m Euros compared to ~15m Euros the last option of Railjets cost ÖBB without locos. You ain't off that much cheaper.

Surel liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1090
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Price per unit for the Pendolino is 20m Euros compared to ~15m Euros the last option of Railjets cost ÖBB without locos. You ain't off that much cheaper.
They have similar capacity, but RailJet is more comfortable.

Pendolino: 402 passengers
RailJet: 408 passengers

Pendolino is lighter. Does it also have a smaller axel load?

Pendolino: 387 t
RailJet: 409 t

I am not competent enough to compare the maintenance and usage costs. Could you?

It won't be so easy to use those Pendolinos for international tracks. But I don't think that this was ever the plan though. And maybe Poland will have 250+ tracks within 10 years.
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1091
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
They have similar capacity, but RailJet is more comfortable.

Pendolino: 402 passengers
RailJet: 408 passengers

Pendolino is lighter. Does it also have a smaller axel load?

Pendolino: 387 t
RailJet: 409 t

I am not competent enough to compare the maintenance and usage costs. Could you?

It won't be so easy to use those Pendolinos for international tracks. But I don't think that this was ever the plan though. And maybe Poland will have 250+ tracks within 10 years.
Well the locos for the RJ have to be rather heavy (88t) to bring all that power to the tracks. For that reason the RJ does quite some more damage to the them than comparable HS trains with distributed traction or power cars on both ends of the train. It is said that internally the RJ is also called track grinder. Can't say to whether this is true or not though.
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #1092
thompsongda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Why embarrassing? It's not on a purpose built HS line. Significantly faster than driving and that's the most important point.
Actually, you're wrong. It took me like 2,5h from Gdansk to Warsaw (A1, A2). In my opinion, the key to success for PKP is 1,5h for 20-30euros from Gdansk to Warsaw. And I'm pretty sure many people would choose train instead of car.
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #1093
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

PKP Intercity couldnt buy Railjet because they didnt participate in the tender process. They didnt make any offers so its a moot point now.

Railjet can do max 230km/h which would be ideal since CMK will be upgraded to 230 km/h. Pendolino will actually achieve such speed by 2017/2018.

Still since Poland has at least two very capable manufacturers (PESA and Newag) my opinion is that PKP Intercity should be buying Polish products whenever possible. Of course they need to first call a tender and then Polish firms need to make good offers and win first.

I am really looking forward to PESA's DART line of trains. The 20 they will deliver next year is just the first type in their porfolio.

Urbanista1 liked this post

Last edited by ufonut; December 16th, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #1094
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufonut View Post
PKP Intercity couldnt buy Railjet because they didnt participate in the tender process. They didnt make any offers so its a moot point now.

Railjet can do max 230km/h which would be ideal since CMK will be upgrade to 230 km/h. Pendolino will actually achieve such speed by 2017/2018.

Still since Poland has at least two very capable manufacturers (PESA and Newag) my opinion is that PKP Intercity should be buying Polish products whenever possible. Of course they need to first call a tender and then Polish firms need to make good offers and win first.

I am really looking forward to PESA's DART line of trains. The 20 they will deliver next year is just the first type in their porfolio.
Hehe, I hope that Škoda will be in the tender as well, although I don't expect them to enter the HS EMUs.
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #1095
Balsen
:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:

Likes (Received): 2073

Railjet is not EMU, so couldn't enter the tender.
Also polish regulations put speed limitation on pushed trains.
Balsen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #1096
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsen View Post
Railjet is not EMU, so couldn't enter the tender.
Also polish regulations put speed limitation on pushed trains.
Well, you are right about the EMU part, but Germany operates the push-pull ICE 2 at 280 km/h so there can't really be an argument regarding safety. Further the RJ is designed for speeds up to 250 km/h and not just the certified 230 km/h.
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1097
Balsen
:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:.:::.:

Likes (Received): 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Well, you are right about the EMU part, but Germany operates the push-pull ICE 2 at 280 km/h so there can't really be an argument regarding safety. Further the RJ is designed for speeds up to 250 km/h and not just the certified 230 km/h.
well, I'm not saying there's, it's just polish regulations.
Balsen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1098
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsongda View Post
Actually, you're wrong. It took me like 2,5h from Gdansk to Warsaw (A1, A2).
That's 425 km. Route planners give a driving time of ~4 hrs for that (from city centre to city centre).
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1099
thompsongda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachalnik View Post
That's 425 km. Route planners give a driving time of ~4 hrs for that (from city centre to city centre).
That's not the point. Trip from Gdansk to Warsaw should take ~1,5h by train. And that would be optimal, and I bet every single train would be full. Also, it's from city centre to city centre, without any problems like @ airport, no traffic jams like when you're driving a car. Also costs are lower...
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #1100
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2010 View Post
1. Jastrzębie-Zdrój - 92.000 inhabitants
2. Lubin - 75.000 inhabitants
3. Siemianowice Śląskie - 70.000 inhabitants
4. Łomża - 63.000 inhabitants
5. Mielec - 61.000 inhabitants
6. Bełchatów - 60.000 inhabitants
7. Piekary Śląskie - 58.000 inhabitants.
Amstelveen (85,000 inhabitants) or Spijkennise (73,000) also don't have a railway service, but they're perfectly connected to respectively Amsterdam and Rotterdam by either bus, or tram, or even subway. And I think that's exactly the case for Jastrzebie and Siemanowice (and Piekary?) that are both part of the GOP. Also, I'm pretty sure Lubin has a railway station where regular train service was going to be restored? At least that's what Google Translate said.
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
railway, trains