daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:59 PM   #1281
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Few pics from recently upgraded Gdansk train station:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiewior View Post
Parę komórkowych fotek z Gdańska Głównego z wczorajszego wieczora

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #1282
DualMana

Likes (Received): 44

^Nice
DualMana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #1283
DualMana

Likes (Received): 44

Dart in progress...

http://www.rynek-kolejowy.pl/56556/p...ty_zdjecia.htm

SRC_100, dimlys1994, uunxx liked this post
DualMana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #1284
rakcancer

In the meantime: rare white deer captured while crossing tracks on Hel Peninsula - north of Gdansk:

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #1285
Max Mar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat View Post
Railway investments are often with around 80% of fundings coming from EU and only a small portion coming from the polish railway company, which funds it from debt mostly. This state-owned company also receives some money from fuel tax, so the polish government takes very little expenses here. The polish government hates railways, they already made it clear and only invest because the European Union insists.

The government is building a lot of roads and is issuing endless amounts of debt to build them. To solve the problem, they decided to steal the private pension funds, which I calculated will be enough to cover 2 years of their rackless spending. They also increase taxes every month already, increased VAT, decreased tax bonus for people with 1 child, decreased tax bonus for artists/programmers, increased trash tax, increase heating prices 15% every year, never update the income tax table according to inflation, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, when the money from pension funds ends, they will probably steal us again.
Bla, bla, bla, trololol... If Polish government was so interested with building roads, than every major town will be connected with an expressway right now, which is far from being the case as there is only 1200 km of expressways. Even the capital Warsaw is not connected till now to such big cities as Krakow, Katowice, Wroclaw, Bialystock or even Gdansk, in fact the capital is only connected to Poznan . I don't see why in the current situation motorists should pay for railway development as it is already very well and extensive since communist times - unlike expressways, which were neglected all the time till 5 years ago. Furthermore, they will open only 50 km of new expressways this years, so it's surely not a priority for the government, unlike the pendolinos or new rolling material they bought massively. Respectfully, motorists are paying much more than what is spent for road infrastucture, as you said, a lot is spent elsewhere, but the railways indeed need huge subventions and taxpayers money to get run .
Max Mar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #1286
paf1

Likes (Received): 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
In the meantime: rare white deer captured while crossing tracks on Hel Peninsula - north of Gdansk:
It is fallow deer actually
paf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #1287
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 172

The new Gdańsk train station looks fantastic. Has an extra platform been added for the airport train or is that my imagination?
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #1288
rakcancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paf1 View Post
It is fallow deer actually
Thx for explaining that. I am not an expert in this area
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #1289
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

Dworzec PKP Koscian-3 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-2 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-13 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-5 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-4 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-12 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-11 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-9 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-8 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-10 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-7 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

Dworzec PKP Koscian-6 by tomasz_hejna, on Flickr

By T. Hejna
Old March 26th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #1290
xkk
Buja mnie Łódź ;-)

Likes (Received): 3051

Refurbished small Łęczyca railway station in Łęczyca, Lodzkie (Central Poland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dratgyver View Post
Ponadto, wyremontowany dworzec w Łęczycy:

Former condition:

Old March 26th, 2015, 04:13 AM   #1291
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

Likes (Received): 974

Wonderful pictures. I am so fascinated by Poland railways. (travelled between Wroclaw glowny to Praha hl. on 26th March 2013, a coincidence)

I however can't help myself but notice that most of the pictures seem to be of electrified routes? Are all major routes electrified in Poland or still some trunk routes are there which are still remanining?
abhijeetm29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 07:30 AM   #1292
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

The electrification almost stopped in late 1980's. There were plans to continue, never realized. These not-yet electrified routes usually deteriorated. Nowadays they want to put a wire over some important missing sections of otherwise electrified lines, like Piła - Krzyz fragment between Bydgoszcz and Szczecin (Bydgoszcz - Piła and Krzyż - Szczecin sections completed some 40 years ago).

abhijeetm29 liked this post
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #1293
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

Many thanks for the reply . That means that there had been aggressive electrification pre-80s in Poland. That's quite impressive.
I guess that PKP aren't going for full fledged electrification for the entire country. There would always be some less traffic unprofitable route and electrifying them might not make sense.

I also luckily noticed a narrow gauge railway tracks near Rogow ( before Koluzski) while I was tracking the Warsaw-Vienna route on google maps. But seems that it is no longer used.
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #1294
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Mar View Post
Bla, bla, bla, trololol...
Sums up pretty much whatever is following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Mar View Post
If Polish government was so interested with building roads, than every major town will be connected with an expressway right now, which is far from being the case as there is only 1200 km of expressways. Even the capital Warsaw is not connected till now to such big cities as Krakow, Katowice, Wroclaw, Bialystock or even Gdansk, in fact the capital is only connected to Poznan . I don't see why in the current situation motorists should pay for railway development as it is already very well and extensive since communist times - unlike expressways, which were neglected all the time till 5 years ago. Furthermore, they will open only 50 km of new expressways this years, so it's surely not a priority for the government, unlike the pendolinos or new rolling material they bought massively. Respectfully, motorists are paying much more than what is spent for road infrastucture, as you said, a lot is spent elsewhere, but the railways indeed need huge subventions and taxpayers money to get run .
Let's try to make a serious reply to this.

Over the last 4 or 5 years, Poland opened nearly 400 kilometres of high-quality dual carriageway (may it be class GP, S or A) per year. This is more than any other country on the planet save for China.

During the same time, the only achievement on the rail network has been an upgrade of the Warszawa-Gdańsk, -Kraków and -Wrocław lines. Katowice-Kraków-Rzeszów is getting sorted years behind schedule, maybe even not before 2017. Warszawa-Białystok doesn't even have service at the moment.

In my situation, I live in Nowy Targ and work near Balice Airport, a 100 kilometre commute one-way. By car, this takes between 50 and 90 minutes depending on traffic. By public transport, it'll take me anywhere between three and four hours. Nowy Targ is on the main road/rail from Kraków to Zakopane. Ten years ago, the same commute would've taken up to three hours by car as well, and in ten years from now, it'll most likely be 45-50 minutes with the S7 to Chabówka and DK47 built out to GP standards down to Szaflary. In the same time, with the Sucha Beskidzka and Płaszów rail bypasses built, rail time might be down to 2 hours 30 minutes Nowy Targ - Kraków Główny - Zabierzów.

Please explain to me how the Polish Government is neglecting roads in favour of rails? With my car, nowadays, I can get from my house near the Slovak border to anywhere within Poland in less than seven hours without risking speeding fines, whereas if I want to take a train, I can barely get to Wrocław, Warszawa, Łódź or Rzeszów in that time.
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #1295
xkk
Buja mnie Łódź ;-)

Likes (Received): 3051

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetm29 View Post
Many thanks for the reply . That means that there had been aggressive electrification pre-80s in Poland. That's quite impressive
Almost all major lines are electrified before 1989

Quote:
I also luckily noticed a narrow gauge railway tracks near Rogow ( before Koluzski) while I was tracking the Warsaw-Vienna route on google maps. But seems that it is no longer used.
It is Rogowska Kolej Wąskotorowa, still used as a tourist attraction. Here you have the official website with summer timetable, unfortunately only in Polish

http://kolejrogowska.pl

abhijeetm29 liked this post
xkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #1296
rakcancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
The new Gdańsk train station looks fantastic. Has an extra platform been added for the airport train or is that my imagination?
No, that is not your imagination Platforms have been rebuilt recently and new tracks has been added for extension of SKM (Commuter train) leading to newly built train station Gdansk Srodmiescie (Midtown). However don't mix it up with entirely new line (PKM) that is under construction at the present. It will connect Gdansk Wrzeszcz with airport in Rebiechowo. That is entirely new project.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #1297
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2586

Quote:
Many thanks for the reply . That means that there had been aggressive electrification pre-80s in Poland. That's quite impressive.
For country which almost doesn't have any source of crude oil but instead has coal or lignite under 60% of country the choice of electrification was the only reasonable way.
Richard_P está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #1298
Max Mar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
Sums up pretty much whatever is following:
Fore sure, it summarize well for whatever is following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
Let's try to make a serious reply to this.

Over the last 4 or 5 years, Poland opened nearly 400 kilometres of high-quality dual carriageway (may it be class GP, S or A) per year. This is more than any other country on the planet save for China.

During the same time, the only achievement on the rail network has been an upgrade of the Warszawa-Gdańsk, -Kraków and -Wrocław lines. Katowice-Kraków-Rzeszów is getting sorted years behind schedule, maybe even not before 2017. Warszawa-Białystok doesn't even have service at the moment.

In my situation, I live in Nowy Targ and work near Balice Airport, a 100 kilometre commute one-way. By car, this takes between 50 and 90 minutes depending on traffic. By public transport, it'll take me anywhere between three and four hours. Nowy Targ is on the main road/rail from Kraków to Zakopane. Ten years ago, the same commute would've taken up to three hours by car as well, and in ten years from now, it'll most likely be 45-50 minutes with the S7 to Chabówka and DK47 built out to GP standards down to Szaflary. In the same time, with the Sucha Beskidzka and Płaszów rail bypasses built, rail time might be down to 2 hours 30 minutes Nowy Targ - Kraków Główny - Zabierzów.
Please explain to me how the Polish Government is neglecting roads in favour of rails? With my car, nowadays, I can get from my house near the Slovak border to anywhere within Poland in less than seven hours without risking speeding fines, whereas if I want to take a train, I can barely get to Wrocław, Warszawa, Łódź or Rzeszów in that time.
Hahaha, we see that you are not used to drive in Poland: 7 hours it's what took me to go to Zakopane from Warsaw last week by car, and it's far from being crossing the whole country .

Warszawa-Białystok doesn't have rail service at the moment (though, they is a bus service instead) because the line is being improved and modernized for fast traffic, just like Warsaw-Gdansk, Katowice, Krakow, Lodz, Wroclaw so there are huge investments and building in the rail sector for high-speed, unlike for roads - still not a single expressway for all these destinations!

Plus, it's faster to reach almost any major city in Poland by train than by car: 3 hours to Gdansk vs. 4h30-5h by car, 2h30 to krakow vs. 5h by car, 2h30 to Katowice vs. 3h30-4h by car, 3h40 to Wroclaw vs. 4h30-5h by car, so you see expressways are for trains and still not for road users .
Smaller destinations like Nowy Targ are a bit longer in fact, but due to this high speed lanes it's still faster to reach than by car, even when you're traveling from Warsaw or Gdansk.
You should also know that DK7-DK47 "Zakopianka" is a very dangerous road actually - with many crossroads and pedestrians crossings on middle of sharp blind turns, which would need, inexisting for the moment, investments to improve and to become far safer expressway.

And what you said is untrue: new roads opening in Poland were closer to 300 km per year for the last 4-5 years, than what you claimed, plus only about 1/3rd of these roads were motorway-expressway standards (except for 2012 - EURO2012), so it's basically 1-lane per direction or improvement/reconstruction of existing main roads that were on very pity condition (potholes, ruts, bumps) and extremely dangerous to drive on.
That's very bad when considering that Poland has one of the shortest expressway network in whole European Union. It's may be a lot now, but let's not forget that many countries built their expressway network mostly in the 1960's-1970's and much faster and more kilometers per year than Poland does today . In fact, Poland never started seriously to build an expressway network till 5 years ago! But, it's now dangerously slowing down, and there will still be none of them finished between many major cities for at least 2020-2030! Also, many developing countries are building far more expressways right now, and it's not just China.
Even Germany opened an impressive 1'000 kilometers of high-quality Autobahns a year during the 1930's.

Last edited by Max Mar; March 26th, 2015 at 07:00 PM.
Max Mar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #1299
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkk View Post
It is Rogowska Kolej Wąskotorowa, still used as a tourist attraction. Here you have the official website with summer timetable, unfortunately only in Polish

http://kolejrogowska.pl

Wow!, that's wonderful . Though I must say that by the looks of it, the tracks near level crossings seem to give an impression that they have been abandoned with dust and debris coating the tracks and guard rails (As seen through google street view).
I will make a note to ride on these trains when I travel to Poland.
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #1300
abhijeetm29
abhijeetm29

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkk View Post
Almost all major lines are electrified before 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P View Post
For country which almost doesn't have any source of crude oil but instead has coal or lignite under 60% of country the choice of electrification was the only reasonable way.
I agree. Besides steam locomotives had been loosing steam (pun intended) post 50s and so electrification made sense for the mainline traffic (with steam locos relagated to handle less traffic routes)
In India we had the similar situation w.r.t. energy sources but the government continued with steam locomotives as late as 2000 (Which was when the last steam locomotive ran).
Between 70s and 90s, all three forms of traction (Diesel, electric and steam) were heavily used and in one instance a train (Kalka Mail) was hauled with all three modes of traction along the course of it's journey!
More information on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalka_Mail

skuzz85 liked this post

Tags
railway, trains