daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 16th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #41
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 52

I must have a look-see next time I am in that neck of the woods...

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #42
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 13

I like it
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #43
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybling View Post
thought I was the only one DG
Quote:
Originally Posted by golddigga18 View Post
its ok, nothing amazing
I think its one notch above rubbish (and not a very big notch at that).
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #44
Farsight

Likes (Received): 106

FFS, first decent bit of curve in ages, and I hear whining?

Come on guys, she's gorgeous. Spit out them lemons.

Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #45
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 272

I'm glad it's not a box, but I don't know... will have to wait, those white edgings on some windows just look... wrong.
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #46
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I think they're my favourite bit. I would like to see them in more detail though.

Will they really be able to fit 300 flats in there or does it include the block behind?

One problem with all buildings with floor-to-ceiling glazing (especially apartments) is how will it look when people have curtains/blinds/voile up?
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #47
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
FFS, first decent bit of curve in ages, and I hear whining?
Curves on a women is a good thing.
Curves on a very mediocre building doesnt make it a good building.
Just cos its curvy doesnt hide the fact it isn't any good.
Its Lisa Riley as apposed to Charlotte Church.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #48
Architecty
Still Lurking

Likes (Received): 0

I rather like it; yes it very much depends on what those white boxes are made of as to whether they end up looking right- but presuming that they will I’d say this could turn out to be quite striking. I like that fact that they are solid panels, not back coloured and insulated glass pretending to be wall; I think I would prefer it if a little more of this solidity was evident at the bottom. The low rise block seems to work well along side the tower, with its materials ‘in negative’ as it were.

I also think that the effect of closely neighbouring towers of quite distinct style should not be underestimated; I think the contrasts will amplify their individual effect. Taken as a whole the entire area which currently feels just ‘behind Piccadilly’ will take on a unique character as a distinct modern district; and not just peripheral waste ground as it feels now. The walk to City is going to be amazing in a couple of years!

I think the most important thing that needs to happen now is the council must change the layout/landscaping of Great Ancoats St to make it feel substantially more pedestrian friendly; a leafy boulevard and not a dual carriageway. With pinch points at both ends and several sets of traffic lights along its course, there really is no justification for it being such a fast running section of road.
Architecty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #49
dirtyred619
In The Ghetto

It won't win any awards but I like it. Curvey and the cladding is a bit different, quite like the white pertruding element. The cladding reminds me of a building in Leeds, forget its name, a boxy midrise.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #50
Architecty
Still Lurking

Incidentally I’m generally not that enamoured with curvy buildings for curvy buildings sake; but I think it can (and in this case does) point to an aspiration of architectural distinctiveness by the developer, and also evidence of not being tight with construction costs. Even the slightest curve in glass exponentially increases its cost, and increases the rigour by which its construction must be considered; which is of course a good thing.

I accept that if the boxes just look like they have been knocked up out of MDF, it will drag they whole thing down; the way this render makes the windows in them look like holes rather than solid panes flush with the box spoils the effect. The perspective also looks a bit heavy, making the whole building look a bit ‘pinched’ in a way that it wouldn’t really appear.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #51
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

I usually 'pal up' with tecty on most things but i have looked hard at it and still not convinced.
I dont understand the triple (quadruple?) height ground level element. Whats the score with the sticky on bits? Is it something to do with solar gain? They look like wristbands off an 80's Swatch watch. Are the bathrooms behind them perhaps? The low rise bit behind looks alright but the tower aint no good.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #52
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
think I would prefer it if a little more of this solidity was evident at the bottom
Yup, thats probably my only beef with the ting...
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #53
Architecty
Still Lurking

I agree about the bottom, really doesn’t look or sit right; but I am a big fan of the ‘heavy mass floating above street’ metaphor they are going for, even if it is overused at the moment. Poddy things just look aesthetic to me (although may well reference bathroom/kitchen on plan); its nice to see a different look to a scheme, is quite reserved with its materials but some variation in glassy façades has been missing from proposals in recent times.

Never mind Longadobelicence, lets dig out the Television House thread and have a good rant about how they cocked up a reserved classic big style!
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #54
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
I usually 'pal up' with tecty on most things but i have looked hard at it and still not convinced.
I dont understand the triple (quadruple?) height ground level element. Whats the score with the sticky on bits? Is it something to do with solar gain? They look like wristbands off an 80's Swatch watch. Are the bathrooms behind them perhaps? The low rise bit behind looks alright but the tower aint no good.
I was just thinking that, or the bedrooms?

Glass is becoming less favourable is it not, due to the tightening of Building Regs and energy efficiency?
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #55
Architecty
Still Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
Glass is becoming less favourable is it not, due to the tightening of Building Regs and energy efficiency?
I would think with that much glass a double skin/sun space affair might be being used (at least on part of the building) to deal with the gain. Doesn’t appear from the smaller south facing render that the solid pods become more abundant on the south face.

There are lots of ways to get round the new regs, partially because of the ways the environmental modelling is calculated; it really hasn’t had as much of an effect as was expected.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #56
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
Was talking about this with an architect chum of mine just t'other day and the belief is that technology is moving roughly at the same pace as the regs.
I dont think you will see vast expanses of glass but more and more of this sort of thing, glass broken up with various elements be it Simpson-esque patterning or, as in this case, Swatch wristbands.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #57
Architecty
Still Lurking

Or my personal favourite, Arca/Greengate style perforated over-cladding; sexy.
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #58
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Or of course you could use the new patented technology of Homer in a mumu which is taking the construction industry by storm!

Old November 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #59
macc

Likes (Received): 19

If we get too much more glass every apartment will look start to look like this:

Old November 17th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #60
Biosonic
Second Citizen