daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #661
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

So it's starting again, great.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #662
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #663
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Difficult to see, but it seems pilling is completed
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #664
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Thx for the pix...no need to say that future tenants of that room will loose out on the view since Damac will literally block the fantastic view on infinity....
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #665
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhksb View Post
Can you propose a way to improve this?
Yes I can.
1. the total area of corridors can be reduced (the core should be revised for that matter)
2. making polygonal sides of the floor plan (instead of the arched ones) would still give nice vertical curves lengthwise on the building when looking from outside. And it would give a great advantage while planning each apartment. It would be so much easier to furnish and decorate the interiors. Just replacing the arcs with 2 straight lines at an angle would give many advantages and more rectangular corners inside of the apartments. It would also allow to cut glass panels at a much lower cost and make fewer errors.
3. sharp outer corners are conductive to a greater heat transfer, which is far from cost effective solutions. It also implies an excessive materials overuse. Rectangular corners instead of sharpest ones would give nearly the same look, but would allow for a much better interior and operational economy.
4. non-rectanglular core imposes lots of potential problems for building the infrastructure and maintenance of the building.

In other words, that's quite a mess, and a big headache for engineers, supervisors etc. You may say you don't care how much time they are going to spend dealing with problems, but you don't wanna face the mistakes they can make.
HoneyDaddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #666
UjaiDidida
Ruzaini Roosfa

Location: Kuala Lumpur Currently in: Johor Bahru From: Bandar Baru Bangi Favourite Food: Nasi Lemak
Likes (Received): 1813

so.. this is the final render?

UjaiDidida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #667
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNAL ELF View Post
woot!

its an amazing tower, but i still thinks it dont fit that well with the other`s tho
I like the tower by itself, but not with the others. To me it seems that all the towers are nice by themselves, but together they don't fit. I still don't know how to describe why they don't. I think the reason has something a long the lines of being so different, they aren't special. To me it's like a battle for which one is the most beautiful. As if they were fighting and there's too much going on in the picture. So much, you can't notice one's uniqueness. Again though, that's just my opinion.
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #668
pelemiller5

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
I like the tower by itself, but not with the others. To me it seems that all the towers are nice by themselves, but together they don't fit. I still don't know how to describe why they don't. I think the reason has something a long the lines of being so different, they aren't special. To me it's like a battle for which one is the most beautiful. As if they were fighting and there's too much going on in the picture. So much, you can't notice one's uniqueness. Again though, that's just my opinion.
Hi, could your opinion be influenced by the fact you have lego pieces in your profile picture lol
pelemiller5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #669
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Quote:
Take a look at Z.Hadid's creations. Could they possibly fit to anything existing? It would match to a pile of construction scrap, but does this give any more value to a lop-sided cripple? Being a developer, of course anyone would wish his tower to be exclusive, not matching to anything. But this one is the same headache for designers as their previous one with similar design, Ocean Heights. It was quite difficult for me to make an interior design for its apartment, and the next time I do something with skewed walls, I'm gonna charge twice as usual

Last edited by HoneyDaddy; August 17th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #670
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelemiller5 View Post
Hi, could your opinion be influenced by the fact you have lego pieces in your profile picture lol
Definitively not. I think you misunderstood my comment. To put it in Lego standards, it's like if i built various buildings with random legos. The colors would just disappear among each other.

Note: that i have over 20k lego pieces. When i was little i build my buildings by colors, not just a fruitloop structure lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDaddy View Post
Take a look at Z.Hadid's creations. Could they possibly fit to anything existing? It would match to a pile of construction scrap, but does this give any more value to a lop-sided cripple? Being a developer, of course anyone would wish his tower to be exclusive, not matching to anything. But this one is the same headache for designers as their previous one with similar design, Ocean Heights. It was quite difficult for me to make an interior design for its apartment, and the next time I do something with skewed walls, I'm gonna charge twice as usual
Yes, Zaha Hadid does indeed make interesting cripple buildings, but her advantage is always the benefit of contrast. I live in Las Vegas, so I'm used to this sort of buildings. What i don't like about them is that they are always competing with each other to captivate your attention. They're so individually planned, that they actually isolate themselves. All it seems is like a battle for which can be build the tallest. I liked the way Dubai was being build long ago, but not anymore. I'm actually willing to say that most of them (not all!) have designs that aren't suitable for skyscrapers.

If you wan't to continue this conversation by the way, I more than welcome you to private message me.

Cheers
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #671
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I think the issue here is that people are not used to residential supertalls, let alone of the types with balconies, both facts that can restrict the architectural design options available.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #672
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, Zaha Hadid does indeed make interesting cripple buildings, but her advantage is always the benefit of contrast. I live in Las Vegas, so I'm used to this sort of buildings. What i don't like about them is that they are always competing with each other to captivate your attention. They're so individually planned, that they actually isolate themselves. All it seems is like a battle for which can be build the tallest. I liked the way Dubai was being build long ago, but not anymore. I'm actually willing to say that most of them (not all!) have designs that aren't suitable for skyscrapers.

If you wan't to continue this conversation by the way, I more than welcome you to private message me.
Cheers
Sure, why not Totally agree with all you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I think the issue here is that people are not used to residential supertalls, let alone of the types with balconies, both facts that can restrict the architectural design options available.
There's always a solution. And if the right question is put, the solution could be amazing!
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #673
Kakashka

Likes (Received): 2

Really luv this tower!
Kakashka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #674
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

The composition of the buildings in that cluster don't work for me. IMO it looks like a workshop of a modelbuilder, were he lines up all his previous works. It eihter has a privileged point like in Pudong, where the skyline is in a pyramidal shape. Nor single buildings can stand out. In Chicago e.g. the really tall buildings stand in great distance from each other, so everyone of them can dominate their area around. The buildings here form together a wall, very close at the sides, but totally free at the front. I would like it better when smaller buildings "covers" them a bit. Like in NY where the WFC covers the WTC. Like others before me mentioned: All buildings themself are very rich detailed, there are no fillers. The eye don't come to rest.
I have nothing against the design of DAMAC, but its position and hight will deminish infinity tower. The infinity tower today functions as a landmark to the entrance of the marina. After completation of DAMAC, the Infinity tower will be just one building in a row. I'm not an architect or a city planner, but this is what comes to my mind, when looking at this cluster and compare it with other skylines I like. I'm not saying dubai should imitate those mentioned cities, but one of the features could have improved the cluster.
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:08 PM   #675
rolandkeys

Likes (Received): 1

Amazing building "DAMAC Heights". Is it posible to make a replication in other country?
rolandkeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:13 AM   #676
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
it looks like a workshop of a modelbuilder, where he lines up all his previous works
It does, indeed. But what choice did the decision makers have, having set up the only big goal for it, i.e. to name the whole thing as "The Tallest Block"
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:42 AM   #677
PrincessTower
Tallest Block Resident

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
The composition of the buildings in that cluster don't work for me. IMO it looks like a workshop of a modelbuilder, were he lines up all his previous works. It eihter has a privileged point like in Pudong, where the skyline is in a pyramidal shape. Nor single buildings can stand out. In Chicago e.g. the really tall buildings stand in great distance from each other, so everyone of them can dominate their area around. The buildings here form together a wall, very close at the sides, but totally free at the front. I would like it better when smaller buildings "covers" them a bit. Like in NY where the WFC covers the WTC. Like others before me mentioned: All buildings themself are very rich detailed, there are no fillers. The eye don't come to rest.
I have nothing against the design of DAMAC, but its position and hight will deminish infinity tower. The infinity tower today functions as a landmark to the entrance of the marina. After completation of DAMAC, the Infinity tower will be just one building in a row. I'm not an architect or a city planner, but this is what comes to my mind, when looking at this cluster and compare it with other skylines I like. I'm not saying dubai should imitate those mentioned cities, but one of the features could have improved the cluster.

it's like an organically grown group of supertalls.

there was not a lot of centralized planning behind it i don't think. the plots only said "height limitation: unlimited". that's it. but since the plots were particularly expensive the developers tried to get the most out of it and kept on increasing the floor number.

maybe dubai is different. they only start to compose buildings above 600 meters apparently. lol
PrincessTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM   #678
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDaddy View Post
It does, indeed. But what choice did the decision makers have, having set up the only big goal for it, i.e. to name the whole thing as "The Tallest Block"
'The Tallest Block' was the name we here in SSC came up with!
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #679
HoneyDaddy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
'The Tallest Block' was the name we here in SSC came up with!
Even though! There was somebody to decide something like "Here we put the majority of the tallest towers in the whole region". And sold the plots to different developers, not restricting them with the design. That's where the variety comes from. But it's fun to have a place like that! It's eye-catching!
Please enlighten as to what SSC stands for.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #680
AltinD
The Modecator

SkyScraperCity ... the forum you're posting at
I can cheat you blind.

Tags
dubai