daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #1721
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareCar View Post
Longer means exactly nothing, if you travel faster. That's why we use the 40km ring-roads where you can drive 120 instead of going straight through a city, which is only 15km's long, but will take you over an hour because the average travelling speed is 30-40km/h. So it takes you three times longer. The same could apply/happen here. You guys are saying the "but that way is longer" line like it would automatically mean that it will also take him longer, which is not true. I'd rather spend the same amount of time driving on a highway than on bumpy backroads, even if the km's travelled are more, I don't feel them if my travelling time is the same or even quicker. The percentage of time he will spend on highways is probably a lot higher if he goes through Greece. In the end, that's just my opinion.
don't be silly. you are right if we are talking about differences up to some 50 km, maybe even 100 in rare cases. but man, for 250 km longer route through Macedonia you should have 500 km of poor road where you would have average speed of some 60 km/h if you would come to zero. and that means nothing because of fuel expenses.

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #1722
MareCar
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Every route planning software I checked tells me that the route through Greece takes just as long as the other one.
It's his call..I, for myself, would take the route that is more comfortable, easier to drive and takes just as long. Why anyone would want to take the shorter, but equally long-lasting, route is beyond me, all you safe is a few € in gas.

But as I said, it's his decision. Would be good if he told us which one he took and how long it took him from Nis to Istanbul.
MareCar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #1723
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The route via Macedonia is also not entirely a motorway, there is still one carriageway from Leskovac to Kumanovo and through central Macedonia (Demir Kapija - Smokvica).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #1724
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Every route planning software I checked tells me that the route through Greece takes just as long as the other one.
It's his call..I, for myself, would take the route that is more comfortable, easier to drive and takes just as long. Why anyone would want to take the shorter, but equally long-lasting, route is beyond me, all you safe is a few € in gas.

But as I said, it's his decision. Would be good if he told us which one he took and how long it took him from Nis to Istanbul.
I still agree with you. Once you arrive in Nis, you can look up the traffic info on your gps. If you can hook it up to the Wi-Fi connection you would know right away what route to take. On top of that, I am sure there must be the time when MK/GRE route makes more sense. (That's If you are going with a truck). I have heard some crazy stories from some Turkish truck drivers. I am not going to go into the details, but lets just say that they are very comfy with the Serbian rest stops.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Speaking of rest areas, are there some pictures from them? (I mean rest areas along motorways).
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1726
autobahnracer

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Longer means exactly nothing, if you travel faster. That's why we use the 40km ring-roads where you can drive 120 instead of going straight through a city, which is only 15km's long, but will take you over an hour because the average travelling speed is 30-40km/h. So it takes you three times longer. The same could apply/happen here. You guys are saying the "but that way is longer" line like it would automatically mean that it will also take him longer, which is not true. I'd rather spend the same amount of time driving on a highway than on bumpy backroads, even if the km's travelled are more, I don't feel them if my travelling time is the same or even quicker. The percentage of time he will spend on highways is probably a lot higher if he goes through Greece. In the end, that's just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
don't be silly. you are right if we are talking about differences up to some 50 km, maybe even 100 in rare cases. but man, for 250 km longer route through Macedonia you should have 500 km of poor road where you would have average speed of some 60 km/h if you would come to zero. and that means nothing because of fuel expenses.

I woudn't be amaized if through Macedonia and Greece it takes you up to some 10 hours more, than through Bulgaria. You have more borders to pass: in the summer season this means you are stuck minimum 1-2 hours on every border (route calculation software doesn't take this in account!).
The route is some 250km longer and you have some 200-250km non-motorway distance + more kms on motorways and more borders as mentioned.
To compensate all this and come to zero time difference, you should drive like crazy on those motorways, which is impossible, because greek policemen really don't joke (nor do macedonian, serbian or bulgarian)!

I bet an amount of your wish that it'll take you much MUCH longer (more than 5-6 hours).
Have a nice trip!

Last edited by autobahnracer; March 16th, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
autobahnracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #1727
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The route via Macedonia is also not entirely a motorway, there is still one carriageway from Leskovac to Kumanovo and through central Macedonia (Demir Kapija - Smokvica).
Also in Greece the route to Thessaloniki is not entirely motorway either. And if you want to go via Istanbul you have also Ipsala-Tekirdag non-motorway stretch.
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1728
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

Section Polykastro - Agios Athanasios (A1/E75) is not a dual carriageway motorway, but the route is comfortable enough for speeds of motorway standards. Section Agios Athanasios - Thessaloniki (NR2/E86) is not motorway either, but is a dual carriageway and OK for high speeds.

Also the whole section between FYROM border and the Turkish border is (still) toll-free. However, fuel is f*** expensive.
Old March 17th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #1729
MareCar
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnracer View Post
I woudn't be amaized if through Macedonia and Greece it takes you up to some 10 hours more, than through Bulgaria. You have more borders to pass: in the summer season this means you are stuck minimum 1-2 hours on every border (route calculation software doesn't take this in account!).
The route is some 250km longer and you have some 200-250km non-motorway distance + more kms on motorways and more borders as mentioned.
To compensate all this and come to zero time difference, you should drive like crazy on those motorways, which is impossible, because greek policemen really don't joke (nor do macedonian, serbian or bulgarian)!

I bet an amount of your wish that it'll take you much MUCH longer (more than 5-6 hours).
Have a nice trip!
Well I think he is driving in March, so I took bad, rainy weather into account, which is more of a problem at this time than border crossings. And bad weather is a bigger problem on bad countryside roads with heavy traffic that also cross through villages and towns than on motorways or even single-carriage "motorways" which don't go through towns and allow higher speeds than on regular roads. It would be interesting to hear from him.
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1730
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7686

As the construction of Belgrade's new Sava river bridge draws closer to completion later this year, work will heat up on the new Danube (Zemun-Borca) bridge and its network of access roads...

Quote:
Construction of Northern Tangent starts in spring 2011

Market News & Opportunities
Friday, 18 February 2011 17:09

Construction of Northern Tangent, the road that will connect the new Novi Sad road with the Pancevo road, via Borca and Ovca, is one of the most important projects in Belgrade. Once built, it will enable moving of the freight and transit traffic away from the city center and create conditions for development of the city on the left bank of the Danube.

Concrete implementation of the project will start in spring, at the same time as the construction of Zemun-Borca bridge. Institute of Transportation CIP and Chinese CRBC work as partners on preparation of the preliminary and main Northern Tangent project, which also includes construction of a bridge. The author of the 3D animation of the future road is Goblen studio.

Northern Tangent goes from the road to Novi Sad, near Nova Galenika housing project, and it will intersect with Cara Dusana street in Zemun before reaching the future bridge across the Danube.

The road will have the full profile of a highway and six traffic lanes. The total length of the road is 21.3 km, while the allowed maximum speed will be 80 km/h.

- Practical importance is huge. Better traffic link for more than half million people living in Zemun, Palilula and New Belgrade. Also, all those coming from the direction of Novi Sad and heading to Vrsac will not have to go through the center of Belgrade any more - says Milutin Ignjatovic, the Director of CIP. The whole project should be finished in few years.

In addition to the bridge across the Danube, construction of another eight bridge and four flyovers is also in the pipeline, the biggest of which are overpasses above Belgrade-Pancevo railway and Kolovit canal, about 610 meters long, and above the Zrenjanin road (about 210 meters long)

Source Ekapija.com

3D animation video:

CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #1731
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 159

same level crossing?
http://www.goblenstudio.rs/3d/images...a-ka-mostu.jpg
why?
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:43 AM   #1732
takini

Likes (Received): 89

More pictures from Beska:

takini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #1733
MareCar
BANNED

Beska Bridge

Ada Bridge

Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1734
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

This bridge looks great! Gratz

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1735
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

when was Beška bridge built and is there some reason why haven't they used cable-stayed construction, which is very popular at large rivers where there is large ship traffic.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM   #1736
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
when was Beška bridge built and is there some reason why haven't they used cable-stayed construction, which is very popular at large rivers where there is large ship traffic.
The Beška bridge is from 1975. Maybe the bridge is typical for the 1970s. I think the old Beška bridge from 1975 is quite similar to the Öland bridge in Sweden and that bridge is from 1972. So that's the same era in 1970s.

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1737
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

could someone explain me how they make the crane higher and higher?
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1738
takini

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
The bridge was designed by Branko Zezelj and the prestressed concrete was his speciality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisMD View Post
could someone explain me how they make the crane higher and higher?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hueC5G3QSkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMwZvP7I8h4
takini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1739
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I would say that where the river is sufficiently shallow and with a bed suitable for building multiple supports, this sort of bridge is cheaper to build than a cable-stayed bridge.

The main reasons for building a cable-stayed or suspension bridge is if it is not possible or very difficult and expensive to found intermediate supports, or if an unusually large navigation space is needed.
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:59 PM   #1740
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
The Beška bridge is from 1975. Maybe the bridge is typical for the 1970s. I think the old Beška bridge from 1975 is quite similar to the Öland bridge in Sweden and that bridge is from 1972. So that's the same era in 1970s.
Yep, typical bridge construction in the 1970's, the Netherlands is also full of box girder bridges. Very cost-efficient. Cable-stayed bridges are more appealing in terms of aesthetics but often more expensive.

Tags
путеви, motorways, putevi, serbia, srbija