SkyscraperCity Forum banner

London skyline 2012 - all clusters in one view

279K views 363 replies 168 participants last post by  dreadathecontrols 
#1 · (Edited)
This is something I've been working on for the last few days, and which hopefully illustrates the sheer scale
of transformation occuring across London.

The pano itself was taken from a block of flats in Forest Hill. It was publicly accessible and I was able to reach
the 7th floor. Every cluster can be seen here - from Battersea to Lambeth, Westminster, Elephant & Castle,
Southwark, The City, right the way through to Greenwich, Canary Wharf and the Docklands.

I used Google Earth to get some of the heights and locations accurate. There are probably some midrises and
smaller towers I've left off, but the important ones are all there. More than 50% of what you see here either
has planning permission, or is undergoing demolition/construction work.

To be honest, it's more like 2015 than 2012... I've included things like the Broadgate Centre expansion,
Bishopsgate Goodsyard, Heron Quays West, Vauxhall Bondway, etc. which are longer term developments.
Anyway, this is the largest rendering I've ever done. Hope you like it. :)

Here's a "before and after" -

See less See more
#15 ·
This is excellent and proves that London is large enough to sustain several impressive clusters, whether they be high density such as the City or Canary Wharf, or smaller 'village' clusters such as Vauxhall and the South Bank.

There is also a distinct difference between each of the clusters, the City being more iconic buildings, Canary Wharf being an American box style cluster, and Vauxhall being tall soaring slim residential. I'd like to see this difference exploited further to keep each cluster separate and instantly recognisable.

#31 ·
I think this is the way forward for London, but would like to see more clusters

Based on current proposals, Canary Wharf should have more 150m+ skyscrapers. In terms of overall density though, I think the City will remain unbeaten. It already has a plethora of mid-range towers and enormous, bulky groundscrapers - these are surrounded by a sea of 5-10 storey buildings - and my rendering doesn't include the stuff going on around Aldgate.
Agreed. The City has more density, with more iconic buildings (just the way it should be) Canary Wharf should get the medal for being taller of the two.

I guess you could say it's a "best case scenario" rendering. A few schemes will no doubt fall by the wayside.
But I'm pretty sure the main City towers will be built, along with LBT; they've simply come too far now for them to pull out.
Most of the residential towers will almost certainly be built - the demand is enormous, with multi-million pound apartments being sold out everywhere. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a whole series of residential/hotel skyscrapers are proposed over the next few years. As I've said before, I think Colombus Tower will be resurrected at some point.
Wood Wharf will surely go ahead. It represents a huge opportunity for the area and forms a key part of Canary Wharf's growth. The Docklands are booming like never before and there's little sign of it slowing down.
When Land runs out, the only way to go is up, many smaller 5-15 storey buildings will be expanded when this fact is taken in.

I think many of the City and the Isle of Dogs building will be constructed, even if they are scaled down a little, the Isle of Dogs will become the new office centre but even then i reckon there will be more mixed developments as with LBT with combination retail/office space on lower floors, hotels at mid level and residential towards the top, especially if the City salaries continue to boom.

I am uncertain about the developments in Vauxhall, if purely residential then i believe they will succeed, even if height reductions are imposed, but don't feel office building would work in this area.

I feel more could be done about the 'West End cluster' eg Doon Street,Castle House and London Park hotel to give this area of London more of an impact. I couldn't see the Centrepoint Tower on the render but more should be done around this area, it's a bit of a no-mans land.

But this is a fantastic view of what London could be in a few years, as stated before London could have many famous skylines.

#48 · (Edited)
You creep, London looks small, eh? Is that all you can contribute... Yeah sure, maybe its small if your from NYC, or some Asian megacity, but London Ain't small -- and most of the real city is actually low rise, so your not really seeing the entire city in that photo, its deceptive

No I mean it looks smaller than it does because of the illusion the ridge of hills give (which look ruralish in alot of places) behind the north London skyline*,
But when you consider those hills are something like 30 miles away, it just shows that although in terms of built up area London is huge, you can can still see the countryside in that pic, Which is very nice.
but calling me a creep, that was uncalled for.

But yes very nice pano' and renders. :cheers:

#23 ·
will canary wharfs cluster be bigger than the city???
Based on current proposals, Canary Wharf should have more 150m+ skyscrapers. In terms of overall density though, I think the City will remain unbeaten. It already has a plethora of mid-range towers and enormous, bulky groundscrapers - these are surrounded by a sea of 5-10 storey buildings - and my rendering doesn't include the stuff going on around Aldgate.

#26 ·
Well done but this vision raises expectations to unrealistic levels for all those not familiar with the economics of the property market. Look at the yields for a start.

In the City, only BL has exchanged contracts to build the Leadenhall Building. Heron, Pinnacle, Shard, etc. have not yet concluded transactions to build the schemes. They will re-assess the market next year and take appropriate decisions in due time.

In Canary Wharf and amongst the big developments, I would add RS by 2012 if market conditions permit. North Quay will not start construction before 2015 and completion around 2020 if Crossrail is not further delayed and tenants are secured. Same for Wood Wharf, as you know British Waterways is likely to pull out.

#29 ·
I guess you could say it's a "best case scenario" rendering. A few schemes will no doubt fall by the wayside.

But I'm pretty sure the main City towers will be built, along with LBT; they've simply come too far now for them to pull out.

Most of the residential towers will almost certainly be built - the demand is enormous, with multi-million pound apartments being sold out everywhere. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a whole series of residential/hotel skyscrapers are proposed over the next few years. As I've said before, I think Colombus Tower will be resurrected at some point.

Wood Wharf will surely go ahead. It represents a huge opportunity for the area and forms a key part of Canary Wharf's growth. The Docklands are booming like never before and there's little sign of it slowing down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.