daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old November 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM   #101
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 161

I think Lynnwood have a several proposed high rise developments. I am not sure what happened to this development.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 1st, 2008, 10:36 PM   #102
blackc5

Likes (Received): 8

And for interest, dont forget the very nice bonsai collection and rhody/azalea garden on the Weyerhauser campus as well. Both are worth a drive to when the season is right (around Mother's Day +/- 3 weeks).
blackc5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #103
Fedwayer

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think Lynnwood is in King County. Do they have a proposed development or just zoning changes planned to allow for hi-rises?

I think Lynnwood, like Federal Way, has a pretty progressive city government. But I know Federal Way has completed zoning changes, completed a programmatic EIS already so that hi-rise developers can skip that part, passed a 10-year multi-family housing property tax exemption and has a proposed development (although delayed due to the economy).

I may be biased because I live here, but I think the city has a lot going for it long term.
Fedwayer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:38 AM   #104
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwayer View Post
Yes, Federal Way definitely has its share of suburban sprawl. But there are some areas of interest (at least of as much interest as any other suburban city).

Federal Way was largely built by Weyerhauser with a lot of campus style office building. There are office buildings in West Campus (the area near City Hall, between Hwy 99 and 1st Ave). There's a fairly tall office building at 1st & 336th.

It also has office buildings built more recently by Weyerhauser in the East Campus area (on the east side of I-5 near Weyerhauser's headquarters). Then, of course, their's Weyerhauser's headquarters itself, which is a very cool building.

Sound Transit's new transit center in the downtown area is interesting (not including the stupid clock). Most of the city, however, is dedicated to houses.

I think its the plans for the future that are most interesting. I don't know of any other area in King County outside of Seattle and Bellevue that is planning (and actually has a proposal) for 20+ story buildings.

About how tall, or stories do you think the "fairly" tall office building is?

If you describe a little of downtown to me, and some good hotspots to visit, I will go down there and take pictures.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:40 AM   #105
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwayer View Post
I don't think Lynnwood is in King County. Do they have a proposed development or just zoning changes planned to allow for hi-rises?

I think Lynnwood, like Federal Way, has a pretty progressive city government. But I know Federal Way has completed zoning changes, completed a programmatic EIS already so that hi-rise developers can skip that part, passed a 10-year multi-family housing property tax exemption and has a proposed development (although delayed due to the economy).

I may be biased because I live here, but I think the city has a lot going for it long term.
Some members on my site have been posting articles from Lynnwood, from within the city council... it is pretty grim sounding. I live in Lynnwood, and they are a very bad city council, not getting anything with a downtown done. They have done very little, and many are disappionted, like me. I used to know the mayor, but have not seen them in a bit.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:28 AM   #106
Fedwayer

Likes (Received): 0

The building at 1st & 336th is about 7 stories. Unfortunately it's not in a "little downtown" like area. The whole area is filled with office buildings (some pretty big) in a campus style environment. When Weyerhauser designed a lot of the city, it left trees along the streets and hid the residential and office developments behind them. So when you get beyond the commercial stuff near I-5 and Hwy 99, most of the density of the city is hidden.

We're pretty lucky because, after all of these years of being anti-growth, we have a city council that is pretty much universally in favor of developing a real downtown.

In addition to the things that I mentioned, the city also received a $25 million state grant (to be matched by $25 million in city money) to partner with a private sector developer. So they not only have the right regulations in place, their willing to put up $50 million to partner with someone. I think when the market comes back, the city will be positioned pretty well for substantial growth in its downtown. :-)
Fedwayer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM   #107
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Thank you. I will most likely be headed down there sometime, but when the weather is nicer. I will probably stop at many South Sound Cities... maybe even Steilicom... or Des Moines... if there is anything at them. Burien a good palce to take pictures? Does Tukwila have any form of downtown? Yeah, so if anyone can help, much oblidged.

I will certainly look for all that office space in Federal Way, and that old white building that I know really nothing about. Thank you Fedwayer.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #108
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Please move the discussion on Auburn in the other thread to this one. This thread's been dead for a while so it could use a bit of life anyway.
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #109
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

I put on nearly 200 miles today taking photos from the south sound and even farther south! Over 8 new cities, plus some updates on cities I've taken before for the NWPJ.

I got soon to be released pictures from Federal Way, Des Moines, Tukwila, new Tacoma, Renton, and much much more, including Kent's new downtown core,and Auburn's new "mid-rise" towers. I also did many towns deep past Spanaway, like Roy, Bucoda, Rainier, and many more.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #110
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

2 Mini Stories below.

The city of Auburn is seeking general contractors to build a community center and an activity center in the Les Gove Park. The two buildings are being bid separately.

March 24, 2009

Eatonville gets stimulus funds for a town center
By JON SILVER
Journal Staff Reporter
The town of Eatonville is looking for a project manager to oversee construction of a $900,000 town center project. Statements of qualifications are due on Friday, April 3.

Eatonville, with a population of around 2,400, is situated on state Route 161 in south Pierce County. Many drivers pass through the town on the way to Mount Rainier National Park, which has an entrance about 15 miles away. Town boosters hope the new center, situated at the north end of its commercial district, will encourage drivers to stop and stay awhile.
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #111
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

^
Hmm, I guess that one shoulda really gone in the Tacoma thead.
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #112
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Again, I think we should have full county threads, not just towns.

Like of course, a thread for Tacoma, but then a Pierce County Thread for everything outside of Tacoma for example. Same with other counties.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #113
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Refresher on some older news.

High-rise development in downtown Federal Way one step closer to reality

PDF Source
Federal Way Graffiti
The City of Federal Way stepped closer to the reality of a high-rise mixed use development in its downtown core last week. On Dec. 7, the Federal Way City Council unanimously approved an agreement with United Properties of Vancouver, BC, for $6.2 million to purchase and develop the former AMC Theaters property at the southeast corner of 20th Avenue South and South 316th Street.

The City purchased the property in January of this year for $4.1 million and has been in negotiations with United Properties since selecting its development proposal in July. Since the selection, the council has worked with United Properties to enhance the original proposal.

The development, called "Symphony," spans a four-acre site and calls for four towers ranging from 16 to 24 stories in height -- the tallest towers of any city between southern Seattle and Portland. The development features approximately 60,000 square-feet of retail, office and commercial space on the lower levels with about 900 condos and apartments taking the upper floors. Responding to council
concerns in July about the large number of apartments, United Properties intends to provide at least three quarters of the units as condos as dictated by the marketplace.

Another key concern of the City’s was to include space for Highline Community College’s Federal Way facilities, negotiations for which are currently underway. Lastly, the project includes an approximately one-acre public park that will most likely include a water feature, outdoor fireplace, areas for outdoor cafés and casual seating, a small band shell, and areas for both active and passive activities. In 2008, there will be opportunities for the public to participate in shaping the park’s development.

Federal Way Economic Development Director Patrick Doherty calls the development a "transformational project" that will become a landmark in Federal Way’s city center and serve as "a catalyst to additional investment in the area."

The total cost of the project is estimated at about $225 to $250 million, with construction likely to span four phases. United Properties intends to break ground on the first 16-story building in late spring 2008 and finish by the end of 2009. United Properties also will be establishing a sales center near the development in early 2008. Residential units will range in cost from under $200,000 for a junior suite to
approximately $800,000 for a top-floor penthouse. A large majority of the upper floors will boast commanding views of Mt. Rainier, and the Olympic and Cascade mountains.

Learn more at www.symphonyliving.com.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #114
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Press Release: City of Federal Way earns WellCity honor

Federal Way Graffiti
April 16, 2009

Kimberly Shelton

City of Federal Way earns WellCity honor

Federal Way was one of 34 cities that will receive the Association of Washington Cities’ WellCity Award of Achievement for its outstanding worksite wellness program.

Kimberly Shelton, the City’s wellness coordinator, and her wellness committee received recognition at the association’s 24th annual AWC Employee Health Academy in Richland, Wash.

The AWC WellCity award will be presented to Federal Way delegates at AWC’s 76th Annual Conference in Spokane in June.

The AWC WellCity Award recognizes cities and towns that demonstrate best practices in employee health promotion. An AWC WellCity must meet minimum criteria in each of nine WellCity standards including policies and procedures, leadership support, wellness committee, internal and external resources, needs assessment, worksite environment, operating plan, mix of program activities and evaluation.

"Well-designed worksite wellness programs help reduce employee health risks and health care costs," says Gayla Gjertsen, AWC’s Director of Insurance Services. "In Washington State, city employees with strong wellness programs average $300 per year less in health care claims than those without wellness programs."

"Other benefits of employee wellness programs include improved morale, increased productivity, reduced use of sick leave, reduced workers’ compensation claims, and reduced health care utilization and costs," says Gjertsen. "Wellness programs such as Federal Way’s help the city operate more efficiently and contribute to maintaining affordable health care coverage for all AWC Trust-insured cities and employees."

Cities and towns also receiving the award include: Anacortes, Arlington, Battle Ground, Bonney Lake, Bothell, Bremerton, Burien, Cheney, Colville, Concrete, Enumclaw, Fife, Issaquah, Kirkland, Lacey, Lake Stevens, Lakewood, Longview, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Oak Harbor, Olympia, Pullman, SeaTac, Tacoma, Toppenish, Tukwila, Vancouver, Washougal, Wenatchee, Woodland and Yakima.

AWC is a private, non-profit corporation serving Washington’s 281 cities. AWC’s Employee Benefit Trust provides health benefits to over 16,000 city employees in Washington.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #115
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

City considers terminating Federal Way Municipal Court
By JACINDA HOWARD
Federal Way Mirror Reporter
AJM STUDIOS.NET Northwest Development News Center

image hosted on flickr

May 26, 2009, 9:35 AM
Federal Way is evaluating its options for providing court services, and has shown interest in terminating its municipal court.

On May 19, during a city council special session, deputy mayor Eric Faison proposed looking into the city's options for providing court services. Personnel issues have plagued the municipal court since its beginning. The city is obligated to offer court services, but has the ultimate authority in deciding how those services are presented. Staff is now researching the legality and costs associated with discontinuing the court in its current form.

Contracting with King County District Court is one option. But there are still many unknowns at the moment, Faison said.

"How we provide those services is our responsibility," he said.

Federal Way Municipal Court was established in 2000. It is a court of limited jurisdiction, seeing cases concerning civil and traffic infractions, criminal and gross misdemeanors, and civil vehicle impound hearings. The court staff continues to be innovative when it comes to providing justice. Staff recently requested a grant to begin a DUI court, and last year installed new safety equipment, among other things. But since its beginning, the court has faced personnel issues.

"I'm concerned with the ability of Federal Way to have its own court," Faison said.

Weighing the options

The city will look at several options for offering court services. Contracting with King County is one possible avenue. Who provides the services, and where those are provided from, are just some questions that need answers, Faison said.

Municipalities are required, by law, to prosecute misdemeanor offenses that take place within the city's limits, said Michael Morgan, Federal Way Municipal Court presiding judge. When the legislation was enacted, Federal Way weighed providing its own services against contracting with the county and found establishing a municipal court more cost-effective, Morgan said.

"Almost every city, if not every city, in King County that has examined this issue has each reached the same conclusion: That it is substantially less expensive to have your own municipal court than contract out for municipal court services with King County District Court," Morgan said.

The benefits of a district court contract vs. operating a municipal court vary for each city, said Diane Carlson, Bellevue government relations director.

Bellevue, with a population of 118,100, has evaluated the benefits of operating a municipal court, but found a contract with the county more appealing, she said. Service levels as well as cost should be considered when deciding how to offer court services, Carlson said. A facility to house the services impacts how expensive it is for a city to provide is own court services, Carlson said.

"If you have your own facility, it makes it possibly more cost-effective to go to a municipal court (structure)," she said.

Bellevue is part of an inter-local agreement with King County jurisdictions that do not operate their own municipal court. Service charges are based on the number and types of cases tried, Carlson said. Annually, the county looks at how much revenue each city's caseload produced vs. how much it costs to handle the cases when determining how much each municipality will pay for the county service, Carlson said. Bellevue generally breaks even, she said.

"Through our evaluations, the service level has continued to be good," Carlson said.

Criminal cases are typically more expensive to try than misdemeanor cases, Carlson said. In 2008, the King County District Court tried 27,052 cases for Bellevue, according to information found on the Washington State Courts Web page. Most of these cases were traffic related, according to the information. The same year, Federal Way Municipal Court tried 18,602 cases. Most the cases were traffic related. Ten were civil cases, according to the court information.

Troubled past

Faison's concerns originate from a nine-year history of managerial blemishes. The first mark on the Federal Way Municipal Court's record came in 2003. Judge David Tracy was put on paid administrative leave by then-city manager David Moseley. Moseley later changed the judge's leave status to "vacation." Emotional stress was cited.

The state's Commission on Judicial Conduct (CJC) evaluates complaints against judges and determines if a judge's actions violate the Code of Judicial Conduct. The commission also reprimands judges for their inappropriate actions. It does not reveal complaints unless it concludes the judge in question defied the code of conduct. The commission has no record of investigating Tracy.

In December 2007, the court again took a blow. Its newest authority, Judge Colleen Hartl, suddenly resigned. Hartl began her work in Federal Way in May 2007. In January 2008, it surfaced that Hartl engaged in sexual conduct with a public defender that tried cases before her. The revelation incited turmoil that has yet to cease. In August, the CJC censured Hartl, prohibiting her from serving as a judge without first gaining the CJC's approval.

While awaiting her punishment, Hartl claimed the court's presiding judge, Michael Morgan, managed the court with a harassing and intimidating nature. The city hired an outside investigator to research the claim. Morgan agreed the action was necessary.

Before the investigation known as the "Stephson report" was completed, Morgan demanded the investigation to halt. When the city continued the investigation, Morgan entered into a lawsuit with the city to keep the results of the report out of the public eye. He claims the city violated attorney-client privileges, and that the court does not fall under the city's jurisdiction and was out of line in continuing the investigation.

The CJC reprimanded Morgan this past December for making threatening remarks to court employees, discussing matters of a sexual nature with court staff and swearing at the police chief. In February, a court supervisor who had worked with Morgan during the time proceeding the CJC's ruling filed a $500,000 lawsuit against the city for unlawful termination. The city is legally obligated to represent its judges, though it does not have the power to remove them from office. The mess has left the city's management frustrated.

Public discussion

Faison said he did make his request because of the lawsuits the city faces. The court's history of struggles and the city's need to re-evaluate its budget prompted his actions, Faison said.

"I look forward to a review of court operations to further demonstrate the excellent value the Federal Way Municipal Court provides to the taxpayers," Morgan said.

The city council will hold a public study session on the topic June 16. It will not take public comment. If the court is to be disembodied, it is likely to take place prior to 2010, Faison said. Both Judge Morgan, who was elected to his position beginning 2006, and Judge David Larson, who was appointed to fill Hartl's position through this year, are up for election this year. Neither judge has publicly announced whether he will run for office.

Federal Way Mirror Reporter Jacinda Howard can be reached at jhoward@fedwaymirror.com or (253) 925-5565.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #116
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Des Moines seeks ideas on downtown, marina

Friday, June 19, 2009

Federal Way News.net

image hosted on flickr

(Current Des Moines Marina.)

Des Moines City Council is holding a public forum to gather the community's thoughts and ideas on what the Downtown/Marina District could look like in the future, what kinds of businesses are needed, and transportation and infrastructure options.

Interested parties are asked to attend a council meeting on Saturday, June 27, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Des Moines council chambers, 21630 11th Avenue S.

"Des Moines Council is reaching out to the community in an effort to find out what is needed to make the Downtown/Marina District the best it can be," said Mayor Bob Sheckler. "We want to hear from residents and businesses in and around the Downtown area, and those who shop or travel through there. Everyone has something to contribute when it comes to thinking about the future. No dreams are too big. We want to hear all the ideas.

"This is a very exciting opportunity. The Marina District is the jewel of Des Moines and we want to make sure that we are headed in the right direction," said Sheckler. "The way to ensure that is by listening to those who live and do business in the area."

More information about the planning work can be found at www.desmoineswa.gov, or by contacting City Manager Tony Piasecki at 206-870-6541.
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #117
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

I was down there just this morning. It doesn't look to me like their "jewel" is heading in any particular direction. Maybe they could use a few more nail shops, but beyond that I don't know what they could do.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #118
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Jun. 27, 2009 at 9:29am
Kent Station adds tenants

The South Sound Business Examiner
http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles29296.jpg
(Kent Station.)

KENT- Tarragon has announced that new retailers, restaurateurs and an office tenant have recently signed leases in Kent Station, bringing the south King County shopping center to a total of 95 percent leased.

Kent Station's newest building houses 43,000 square feet of classroom space for Green River Community College and, at four stories, has been pre-certified for LEED Silver certification. The mixed-use building features an additional 16,200 square feet of Class A office space and 16,500 square feet of ground-floor retail.

Executed leases for the new building include General Services Administration for a 14,200-square-foot Social Security Administration office on the fourth floor, as well as Kent Station's first sushi restaurant on the first floor.

South Sound restaurateur Roger Stilson, along with Culinary Institute of America-trained Chef John Spearman, opened Mama Stortini's Ristorante at Kent Station earlier this month to showcase Southern Italian cuisine.
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #119
USAPatriot
Northwest Photo King

Federal Way to study potential for turning city into medical device hub

Jul 08 2009, 12:05 PM · Federal Way Mirror

The city council, Tuesday, approved $75,000 for a market feasibility study that is designed to measure whether Federal Way could serve as an incubator for the innovation and commercialization of medical devices.

The study is slated to take six months and will be completed by enterpriseSeattle, an economic development company serving King County. The money for the study is being shifted from the city center redevelopment fund.

The organization is proposing a three-phase process, to begin with the market feasibility study. If that is favorable, development of an incubator program and business plan would proceed implementation of the idea. In total, the project is expected to cost around $2 million for all three phases. The city would likely look for financial partners for phases two and three.

To learn more about the incubator idea, read the May 9 Mirror article titled "Federal Way sees potential as a regional health care hub" at www.federalwaymirror.com or read the July 7 city council meeting agenda on the city's Web site at www.cityoffederalway.com.
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #120
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPatriot View Post
.. three-phase process, to begin with the market feasibility study. If that is favorable, development of an incubator program and business plan would proceed implementation ..
Utterly fracking unbelievable the ways local government can come up with to waste money.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote