daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #221
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Nice wrap up, and hopefully the full promise of the Victorian Transport Plan is realised and further improvements are conducted!

Will there be a new timetable introduced with the opening of the enlarged Laverton?
I suppose there isn't the rollingstock available at present for the full benefits... perhaps once more of the new trains are deployed on the Burnley lines, Comengs will be cascaded.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #222
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

the guy I spoke to "on the job" (with a clipboard and a wad of paperwork) at Laverton Station gave me dates for the switch-over to the north track (next weekend); the switchover for the 2nd track (Easter), and commented that the third track (effectively separating the Altona service from the Werribee service) was anyone's guess: "that'll involve changing the timetable".

My guess is that this will also involve cutting back Werribee's current 6 trains per hour off-peak: a bit of a luxury compared with any other Melbourne train line! But then, there's an election ... and there was an "Altona" By-election (Laverton is in the electorate).

I'm sure there's enough rolling stock ...
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #223
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
So this is actually an underground extension of the existing commuter rail system, or is it a new metro? By the look of the vehicle it appears as the latter, but by the description it sounds like the former.

Same trains, before the repaint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible View Post
X'Trapolis train at Flinders St station
That's what at least some of our "none metro" trains look like: now. (some are in the Metro colours)

Last edited by Yardmaster; March 4th, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #224
metro_minotaur
Registered Noob.

Likes (Received): 3

To be honest i prefer the Connex colours, just looked a bit more professional than the very casual "trying to be a metro" metro

It's a shame how they waste all this money every 5-8 years on re-branding the trains and everything. I'd like to see the victorian government just get some graphic designers and make a name, a logo and something that looks like it says "rail" and make it stick, like Sydney has CityRail and it's been like that for a long time now, same with London's Rail system, the Paris RER and the German S-bahn, but whenever i look at it, the logo always screams to me "rail", if that makes any sense.

Would certainly save some money for much more important things like track improvements.
metro_minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #225
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

But they're the same colours...

Connex

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6...lilydales8.jpg

And the MTM

image hosted on flickr

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/...3b3c015e3f.jpg

I found this when I was looking on Google for a picture of the new Metro livery - interesting.

DanielFA liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #226
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Altona line is missing from the map above.

Just to show I don't always pinch Invincible's pictures: Footscray, March 6th: a Siemens set departing.

Last edited by Yardmaster; March 6th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #227
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

South-East Australia- across a distance of a couple of thousand kilometres- was submitted to wild weather in the last couple of days.

Melbourne was perhaps worst hit: by hailstones up to the size of a "lemon" or 100mm in diameter.

Several large roofs were seriously damaged including that of Southern Cross station:

Most of the clear roofing was destroyed by the hail-storm, and subsequent efforts to bridge the holes with with flexible plastic were failing: see photo.

An interesting feature of this is that this heavy downpour of ice and water came more or less across the Australian Desert: due to climate change, the water from the Timor Sea had reached the south of the continent: last year, around this time, we were burning in our beds.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #228
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

An update on Metro Melbourne, specifically on the projects referred to previously:

Footscray Station:

The footbridge is open now: my take on it:

And someone else's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
Laverton:

both main tracks from Melbourne to Geelong have been realigned now; the story goes that on what we call "The Queen's Birthday" (in June), the final trackwork will be completed.

Coolaroo:

Not sure if I mentioned this previously, but the new station is almost complete, from the photos I've seen.

There's an election November this year, and both the inter-city or regional services to Albury (on the NSW border) and Maryborough were anticipated to re-open this year. Maybe not strictly metro transport, but then one man's metro is another's commuter network.

Trains stabled outside North Melbourne: the nearest (excluding the freight train) in the new Metro livery: there was some disputation here that they were just the same colours, but I can see a difference.

DanielFA liked this post
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #229
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Interesting stats on Metro Rail usage here:

Old April 13th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #230
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6465

Rail moves 586,000+ people per day? That's quite impressive.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #231
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

my figure was 650,000 (which is an average across every day of the year). I see that I've stuck 219 into my calculations, when Iit should have been 213 ...

The trams carry quite a few people too, and it's been speculated that this has been under-stated:

Old April 15th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #232
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6465

Wow it's good to see public transport on the rise again! Hopefully such numbers will outline the future necessity for a subway in Melbourne!

Also, with the trams, I take it they're calculated based on validation of your ticket? I don't think a lot of people do this which might also give an inaccurate number, though still high nonetheless.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #233
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

No one really validates as everyone uses weekly tickets (which only need to be validated once) so I dare say Yarra Tram's statistics are WAY off. Every now and again you see Indian students and backpackers sitting around with clipboards doing a 'tram census' but I doubt they're 100% accurate.

Here's a nice picture of Armadale Station in Melbourne. This style is typical of stations in the middle-ring suburbs when the railways were being built around the early 1900's.

Chris&Steve on Flickr.

image hosted on flickr

Chris&Steve on Flickr.

image hosted on flickr

Chris&Steve on Flickr.

Parliament Station on the CityLoop.

image hosted on flickr

AdamSelwood on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Thingo on Flickr.

DanielFA liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:54 AM   #234
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

A break-down of the trains out of Melbourne each weekday (except on Friday when there are more late night services).

First, the suburban lines:

An overall view of outwards ordinary weekday passenger traffic (disregarding the tram/light rail system):

Train graph of forty minutes off-peak on the Werribee line:

Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #235
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

where are the graphs coming from?

I havent seen time-tracking graphs designed in that colourful way - most of the ones Ive seen are excel spreadsheets.

Any good resources on how to read the graphs? Im pretty sure Ive learned the basics of the tracking but it's always nice to have a reference.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #236
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

They're coming from V/Line & Metro Melbourne timetable data, entered into Excel!

Must say Windows Vista & MS Office 2007 was a step backwards as far as I am concerned (all the menus were rejiggled so I couldn't find anything anymore), but they do do nice graphics.

A "Melbourne Metro" train en route to the city yesterday at Middle Footscray: the tracks on the left are dual gauge freight & interstate lines (1435 (standard) & 1600 mm); the tracks on the right are the 1600 mm broad-gauge passenger lines. $A4.3bn has been allocated to provide an extra set of tracks here to seperate regional passenger from Metro traffic; they're also looking at tunnelling from somewhere near here to the city in the background: first to the University on the far left, then along the main thoroughfare to the far right.

Last edited by Yardmaster; April 23rd, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #237
get400
XPT - the current train

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Yardmaster;54893531]An update on Metro Melbourne, specifically on the projects referred to previously:

Footscray Station:

The footbridge is open now: my take on it:

looks waterproof...this is how Roxburgh Park's pedestrian overbridge should be like!!! and what about the new one at Coolaroo?
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #238
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Southern Cross Station has platforms 1, 2A & B, 3A & B, etc. through 8A& B & 8 South; 9-14 (& 15 & 16 under construction).

Regional/commuter V/Line "Velocity" trains at platforms 3A through 7A today: first time I've found 5 there at once.

Old July 17th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #239
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Just happened to see these on youtube

Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #240
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

I guess this may only make sense if you're a Melbourne native.

Tags
melbourne, train