daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #61
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1639

what are all the different clocks supposed to represent? when the next train leaves for that line or what? because the altona one doesn't seem to frequent
image hosted on flickr

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #62
BleakCity
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̙̟̜̌ͫ́̒Hwhateͧ ̃̌va

Likes (Received): 564

When the next train leaves.

The Altona clock is out of use as this line was joined with the Werribee line - hence services that run to Altona use the Werribee clock. If you look at the route map, in the south-west corner you can see a station called Newport. Previously the main line went from here to Werribee (and beyond to Geelong and Warrnambool), with a branch off leading to Altona (which was the end of that line). Eventually a new link was created between Altona and Laverton stations, and Werribee services were then re-routed so as to serve Altona.

This meant the closure of two lesser used stations in an industrial area (the northern section of that triangle arrangement west of Newport on the route map. The section is still used by express suburban Werribee services, regional services, and freight, but all stations suburban services all run via Altona now. The reason was basically one of efficiency - the two closed stations, Paisley and Galvin, had low patronage owing to their industrial locations while Altona, being a residential area, had much greater patronage. The link eliminated the need to run a separate shuttle service from Newport station to Altona.

Little sign remains of Galvin station. Pictures of what remains of Paisley station can be found here:

Victorian Railway Stations - Paisley

This great website has pictures for almost all stations in Victoria, both suburban and regional, but I'll leave the fun of determining which line they fall under to you.

Victorian Railway Stations

The above site was created by Ross Thomson

DanielFA liked this post
BleakCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #63
BleakCity
̙͈̩ͫ̎Ż̙̟̜̌ͫ́̒Hwhateͧ ̃̌va

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcmetro
I also see a very 'original' name of Reservoir, what's the reasoning behind that?
And it's not just the station too - it's an entire suburb named Reservoir
BleakCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #64
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1639

thanks for that

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #65
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Not really "urban" transport except in the middle background, but here's Melbourne's other main city terminal, Southern Cross: the 'VLocity" units in the foreground travel 80-160 km to regional centres.

An earlier shot, before the station was finished & the new V/Locity units went into service:

Older diesel electric locos & carriage stock waiting in the yards for peak-hour the train on the right is a "push-pull" unit used for short runs to outer suburbs beyond the electrified network:

More diesel-electric rail motors: the station in the background.

DanielFA liked this post

Last edited by Yardmaster; July 23rd, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM   #66
^Angry Bob^
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

my experience with Connex trains since starting uni last Monday:

The train ofcourse was 5 minutes late. Surprise Surprise. Last Monday morning it was cancelled, then that evening it was late, then last Thursday and Friday all trians were cancelled so I couldnt get to uni (although I had day off on thurs). And this morning both the citybound and outbound trains were late. Seriously f**k Connex and also f**k Steve Bracks.

btw, FYI, those new silver and purple v/lines will save 4 minutes max on your travel time over the locomotive stock thanks to Steve bracks ******* up the entire project. The "regional fast rail project" now lives on in infamy for unbelievable amount of **** ups Steve bracks managed: lets take a look: only half of the originally promised track upgrades actually happened i.e. on dual lines, only 1 was upgraded, the trains had pieces flying off them during testing, the project was approx $750 million over budget, it was delivered several years late and for a total travel time saving of about 4 minutes compared to the original rolling stock.

Last edited by ^Angry Bob^; July 23rd, 2007 at 11:04 AM.
^Angry Bob^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM   #67
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Angry Bob^ View Post

The train ofcourse was 5 minutes late. Surprise Surprise. Last Monday morning it was cancelled, then that evening it was late, then last Thursday and Friday all trians were cancelled so I couldnt get to uni (although I had day off on thurs). And this morning both the citybound and outbound trains were late. Seriously f**k Connex and also f**k Steve Bracks.

btw, FYI, those new silver and purple v/lines will save 4 minutes max on your travel time over the locomotive stock thanks to Steve bracks ******* up the entire project. The "regional fast rail project" now lives on in infamy for unbelievable amount of **** ups Steve bracks managed: lets take a look: only half of the originally promised track upgrades actually happened i.e. on dual lines, only 1 was upgraded, the trains had pieces flying off them during testing, the project was approx $750 million over budget, it was delivered several years late and for a total travel time saving of about 4 minutes compared to the original rolling stock.
Your first post! I'll confine my response to your last assertion.

This is not true: the fastest service to Ballarat at the moment takes 64 minutes; the 2000 timetable shows the fastest trains to the same destination taking 94 minutes.

To Bendigo: 84 minutes; in 2000, 114 minutes. Dare I point out the changes have to do not only with new rolling stock, but with reconstructed track: in the case of Ballarat in particular, there were quite significant realignments in several places.

I know there are slower trains, but there were slower trains in 2000 as well. I'm not aware of any significant speed increases prior to the VFR project being implemented. I do have timetables extending back to 1960 ...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM   #68
^Angry Bob^
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

but only one side of duplicated tracks was upgraded
^Angry Bob^ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM   #69
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Where are you talking about, Bob? And can I assume that you accept my timetable data (I can accept that your train might have been 5 minutes late).

Isn't this "4 minute" figure actually about the Gordon/Warrenheip deviation? That's the context where I saw it before ... but what you have to recognize is, it provided about 8km of double track that never existed before.

Last edited by Yardmaster; July 23rd, 2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM   #70
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Angry Bob^ View Post

Your previous banned accounts have told us that you live in Berwick, and therefore travel along the Pakenham line, which was closed beyond Dandenong for part of last week because some tool threw a bike over a bridge onto the a passing train, which damaged the train and the overhead power lines.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #71
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

I was kinda invited to post in this thread, but my posting led to altercations which I'm sure mean nothing to most of the people perusing these threads. I'll post again :

Not really "urban" transport except in the middle background, but here's Melbourne's other main city terminal, Southern Cross: the 'VLocity" units in the foreground travel 80-160 km to regional centres.

An earlier shot, before the station was finished & the new V/Locity units went into service:

Older diesel electric locos & carriage stock waiting in the yards for peak-hour the train on the right is a "push-pull" unit used for short runs to outer suburbs beyond the electrified network:

More diesel-electric rail motors: the station in the background.

Old July 24th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #72
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Thanks Yarddy! I must say that I totally love our new train shed. I especially love sitting in that new bar there waiting for my train - I feel like Humphrey Bogart or some such. I know, I'm crazy.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #73
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
Thanks Yarddy! I must say that I totally love our new train shed. I especially love sitting in that new bar there waiting for my train - I feel like Humphrey Bogart or some such. I know, I'm crazy.
And that's when you take the sparks to Camberwell?
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #74
gappa
Registered Abuser

And one of my own of SCS:

image hosted on flickr
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #75
gappa
Registered Abuser

Here's an old MET sign still hanging about in Flagstaff Station:

image hosted on flickr

The city loop stations have a wonderful eighties look to them. A good contrast to the ultra modern SCS and 1906 era FSS.
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #76
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

hmmm ... prior to the Altona-Laverton connection.
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #77
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
hmmm ... prior to the Altona-Laverton connection.
If you look closely you can also see that they've covered over the old Sandhurst line. So this sign haas been there for quite awhile.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #78
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
If you look closely you can also see that they've covered over the old Sandhurst line. So this sign haas been there for quite awhile.
Where did the Sandhurst line run to? I've never heard of it. The St Kilda and Port Melbourne lines have been removed too, except for short stubs leaving Flinders Street.
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #79
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc View Post
Where did the Sandhurst line run to? I've never heard of it. The St Kilda and Port Melbourne lines have been removed too, except for short stubs leaving Flinders Street.
Gappa meant "Sandridge", aka "Port Melbourne".

"Sandhurst" is now "Bendigo";
"Castle Donnington" = "Swan Hill".
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #80
gappa
Registered Abuser

I realized that a couple of hours after I posted and have been too lazy to fix it up! Yarddy's correct I meant the Sandridge aka Port Melbourne line.

Tags
melbourne, train