daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #81
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Coming to the ground beneath your feet soon?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezza(heart)melbourne View Post

About time this awesome new project got its own foum as all the other cities seem to have threads for their proposed tunnels.

Article from The Age
Article(s) from the Herald Sun
This is one of many proposals for Melbourne's train system. Others include covering/sinking the Glen Waverly line and using the reclaimed land for high/medium density apartments, a rail tunnel under Alexandra Avenue then down through the city, opening a new line to Doncaster (this is what they should do first), plus many more.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #82
gappa
Registered Abuser

This was a proposal that thankfully never eventuated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
Scary huh.

DanielFA liked this post
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #83
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

A lot has happened in 14 years - night services have gone from being unviable, then single-carriage operation, and now it's standing room only on a six-carriage train on some services.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #84
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Some renderıngs of statıon redevelopments for the Western lınes...

North Melbourne (6 platforms on 5 Metlınk lınes..+ ıntercıty V/lıne)

Footscray (4 platforms on 3 metlınk lınes.. plus V/lıne)
Mesh22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM   #85
gappa
Registered Abuser

Thanks Mesh! In news just in Connex have been awarded the operating licence until the end of 2009. The licence will be put up to tender and the winner will continue services after then.
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #86
gappa
Registered Abuser

The state govenment has just announced that from the beginning of next month 200 new services will be run on Melbourne's train system per week. This will go some way to alleviating the massive strain on the system caused by huge patronage growth (up 20% from a couple of years ago) until new trains come online in 2009; or so the state government says....
Old September 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #87
invincible
Lurker

Of course, 200 services a week is about 65 services a day, and if they were spread evenly over the sixteen lines, that's just about four services per line per day. And some of those have to be counter-peak movements to get trains back into place.

That said, the extra services aren't evenly spread because some lines have enough services (and weekends are fine), or have no capacity for more, and an extra few services each day would be really helpful.

It also coincides with the opening of the newly electrified Craigieburn line, which extends the wires about 10km beyond the current terminus, taking load off country trains which previously had to service the station.
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #88
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Neat. I'm doubly jealous: (a) Lots of trains, tracks and routes; (b) nary a passenger around.

How do you do this, Melbourne?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #89
invincible
Lurker

The last line built from scratch was the Glen Waverley line which was completed in the early 1930s. With the exception of various line extensions and electrifications, the majority of the network has been around for most of the past century and that's been plenty of time to build up a patronage base.

Previous posts have shown how the network was struggling from the 60s to the 90s when the system would have been bleeding money but rail travel has become more attractive and we are quite lucky to have most areas served by rail. It's only now when we're returning to 1960s levels of patronage, but today the population is much more spread out and more people are working in the CBD - some commuters and lobby groups seem to forget that the way Melburnians travel has changed a lot and it's just not that easy to chuck in a 1960 (or 1930) timetable which obviously favoured inner suburbs since the sprawly outer suburbs didn't exist yet.

The system as a whole does have a few relics from the past, which is why cities like Perth have comparatively better services, since the railways there reached such a low point it was possible to essentially start over from scratch.

Southern Cross station concourse:
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #90
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Great photo, Invincible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Neat. I'm doubly jealous: (a) Lots of trains, tracks and routes; (b) nary a passenger around.

How do you do this, Melbourne?
If "nary" means "hardly any" well this isn't so ..

A problem I find in discussing or comparing urban public transport systems here and overseas is that some people blur form & function. I got into a particularly vicious debate with Toronto patriots a few months back, and so far as I am concerned, I'll never speak to Toronto again.

Are you comparing like with like? I know Montreal has a "Metro" System, whereas, Melbourne does not.

Urbanrail.net has simply suspended all pages on Oceania (including Australia) because "we don't have any real metros", whereas (and without wishing to pick another Canadian/Australian fight) Vancouver, Calgary & Edmonton are out there with flags flying?
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #91
trainrover

(The type of system pegged to the last three cities you mention's just a snazzy tramway -- none of the three possesses any metro.)

No, I'm neither being accusatory nor looking to quarrel. Here on these boards I push the envelope for more just as much as I do at, say, work (the morning bus queue's turning out to be where I push this envelope the most -- lost, enguiring commuters are such instances when I find myself piping up). This one hilarious coworker agrees with me, having recently gone so far as to remark that you look real good as a passenger riding in your train. (You know, some years ago I rented a high-seated car and travelled in it for more than ten days. I'd swear that its still-a-bucket-seat-mind-you gave me a gut -- I could feel my gut forming by the third day, and it took only a few seasons' of time to rid myself of it -- something to do with bowels, I reckon. Queer, huh?!)

Looking at the shots of Melbourne last night, it seems your city's in a league well beyond mine here. It speaks practicality and open-for-business.

Tell me, is freight also granted utmost priority there? The extent to which other aspects over here of how people are secondary to goods/freight/business has been my own waking-up here lately. Plus your trains seem to call at all districts in and around town there, while Montreal -- thinking it's so cool and so open-minded -- is one of the most telling ones in N America at demonstrating just how exclusionary a place can become. Lots of 'hoods around town here miss out at being included. Anyhow and basically-speaking, this is why I keep thinking how come I see few passengers in and around your trains in the earlier pictures here.

Last edited by trainrover; September 16th, 2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old September 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #92
invincible
Lurker

Freight is what brings in the money and is separated to some extent.

Due to differences between the former colonies in the mid 19th century, every state picked different railway gauges. To fix this, a standard gauge network was built around the country, with some lines built new, some built dual gauge and some existing broad gauge lines converted. Most freight, except for localised freight within the state, travels via the interstate SG network which is generally separated from passenger rail and there are a few goods lines connecting with the ports and other loading facilities.

Only a handful of lines still share tracks with freight trains - they're scheduled to keep out of the way of peak hour trains since a freight train takes up too many train paths.

And the network is still very crowded - got a 9am commute today and all the trains around now are getting to the level where they're too full to board.
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #93
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

trainrover & anyone else, I really recommend these sites, which provide railmaps indicating not only routes, but frequencies and travel times:

Australia
City Maps
Long-Distance

Canada & France

Since this is a Melbourne transportation thread, I especially commend the Melbourne map from the first link, and that for Central Victoria (Map M2). The "sneak preview" map accessed at the bottom of the page shows bus-routes as well.

Re. freight, Australia has much more coastline per unit area than Canada (I'm not taking the "north-west passage" into account here), and hence there is much less long-haul transcontinental freight.

Although Melbourne offloads (from recollection) 38% of the nation's inbound containers, congestion on the mainlines between Melbourne in Sydney results in less than 20% of freight being carried by rail Sydney to/from Melbourne, and a similar situation exists between Sydney and Brisbane, as against over 60% being carried by rail between Perth & the Eastern States.

Upgrades are currently being constructed to alleviate this situation: specifically, 17 7 km long crossing loops in the 500 km or so section of single track between Melbourne and Junee New South Wales.

Ironically this single-track line runs in parallel with one or even two broad-gauge tracks for two-thirds of its length ...

Last edited by Yardmaster; September 18th, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #94
trainrover

Thank you, yardmaster, I've bookmarked your maps message for future reference -- cheers.
Old September 20th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #95
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7377

I've never been a fan of how Australian metro systems are combined with commuter rail. It should be separate.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #96
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I've never been a fan of how Australian metro systems are combined with commuter rail. It should be separate.
This is a result of large, low-density sprawling metropolitan areas ... dedicated metros would be nice, but the money would be much better spent upgrading capacity on the existing networks.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM   #97
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
This is a result of large, low-density sprawling metropolitan areas ...
Yes, and they became this way because of the train. Melbourne has had trains almost from it's very founding (20 years after), and therefore has developed in a sprawling fashion. Workers didn't need to live close to their factories or offices as they had a cheap, fast and effecient means of getting them there. This is unlike older European cities within which workers had to literally walk to work.

Australian workers were some of the most well off in the 19th century, all because of the train and the advantages it brought them (the opportunity to own their own home for example).

The car has continued this trend of sprawlingness, only more so.
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #98
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I love the new station's facade.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #99
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
I love the new station's facade.
Yeah it's a bueat! Designed by the British Grimshaw architecture firm as well.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #100
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Melbourne's Suburban Rail System expands by 9 km

As of today, 30th September, Melbourne has two more railway stations and 9 route-km more track on its electrified rail network.

The Broadmeadows line now extends to Craigieburn, 27 km from the city.

A totally new station is Roxburgh Park:

Yes, there are trains:

End of the line at Craigieburn:

Actually this line runs all the way to New South Wales, so its newly electrified rather than newly constructed track.
At least another intermediate station is planned.

For that guy with the bike at Roxburgh Park I gave the skyscrapercity website address to, there's lots more on Australian public transport in the Continental Forums/Ozscrapers/Transport Forum.

DanielFA liked this post

Last edited by Yardmaster; September 30th, 2007 at 11:48 AM.

Tags
melbourne, train