daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #141
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Here's a few randoms from the last week or so.

These two show a three car Xtraplois train on the Alamein line. The Alamein line is a short spur line and therefore has a greater percentage of it's tiemtable serviced by three car trains In the distance in the second photo you can see a second Xtrap on the Lilydale line:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This photo shows the interior of an Xtrap door. Note the push button for opening:

image hosted on flickr

And this one is at Flinders St Station at around midnight:

image hosted on flickr

DanielFA liked this post
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #142
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Your pictures make me happy Gappa
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #143
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Your pictures make me happy Gappa
Did you notice the button that you push to exit? It's a button!

Good to hear c_t. When are you moving here - March wasn't it?
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #144
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Which of the newer rolling stock do you actually prefer? The Siemens or the Xtrap? Sorry if this has already been asked earlier in the thread.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #145
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Which of the newer rolling stock do you actually prefer? The Siemens or the Xtrap? Sorry if this has already been asked earlier in the thread.
I prefer the design of the Siemens to that of the Xtrapolis. It's smoother lines and blunter nose have a much better aesthetic if you ask me. However they only have two (albeit wider) doors per carriage and are therefore less efficient, not too mention the hight difference between them and existing platforms and the breaking debacle. I guess that's why the government has decided on the Xtrap to fill it's order for twelve new trains (not that they're without issues).
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #146
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
Did you notice the button that you push to exit? It's a button!

Good to hear c_t. When are you moving here - March wasn't it?
I did notice the button! I remember using it when I was last in Melbs. I only used the trains there a few times actually. Once was from South Yarra station though, so the picture you posted was well appreciated.

I will officially be living in Melbourne as of the beginning of April (I had to change dates due to work contracts etc.) - I'll be in Fitzroy North.
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #147
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
I prefer the design of the Siemens to that of the Xtrapolis. It's smoother lines and blunter nose have a much better aesthetic if you ask me. However they only have two (albeit wider) doors per carriage and are therefore less efficient, not too mention the hight difference between them and existing platforms and the breaking debacle. I guess that's why the government has decided on the Xtrap to fill it's order for twelve new trains (not that they're without issues).
Thanks for that.

Someone said that the Xtrapolis feels "cheap" in contrast to the Siemens. It's funny that no other Siemens trains seem to be afflicted with the same braking troubles as Melbourne (at least not in the literature I can find). I wonder if it was possible to increase the number of doors on the train to 3 to allow for better flow.

I'll have to judge for myself when I'm in Melbs.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #148
Tyson

Likes (Received): 463

The Siemens also have wider aisles and 2+2 seating. The brake issue had something to do with the computer software IIRC.
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM   #149
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

The Xtrapolis is definitely the model that was built on the cheap - they have a very poor suspension system and are limited to something like 90km/h compared to the 115km/h of the other model, which is required to maintain the timetable on certain lines.

The Siemens trains are very good - apart from the braking issue which has been fixed and the lack of doors. 2+2 seating actually means that people stand in the aisle without having to be told, but there are fewer doors to make room for more seats in order to keep the same seating capacity across all train models. They're extremely quiet too, especially compared to the Xtrapolis. The stainless steel bodies aren't pretty but will probably last a lot longer - I could see the Siemens trains staying in service until the 2030s at least.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM   #150
gappa
Registered Abuser

Connex's figures show passengers made 187.4 million trips on Melbourne trains last year. That figure is up 30 million on the previous year - a huge increase of around 20%!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:19 AM   #151
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Connex's figures show passengers made 187.4 million trips on Melbourne trains last year. That figure is up 30 million on the previous year - a huge increase of around 20%!
That's a fairly respectable figure.

What absolutely amazes me is that Melbourne's trains are filled almost to capacity yet a city like Hannover which has a Stadtbahn system (and a population of 522,944) manages to transport 115 million on a network of 12 lines and not suffer undue overcrowding. They both run at a similar frequency (general rule of every 10 minutes).

Is there not much off-peak travel in Melbourne compared to peak to result in slightly skewed statistics with most of those passenger trips occuring at certain times of the day?
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #152
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Is there not much off-peak travel in Melbourne compared to peak to result in slightly skewed statistics with most of those passenger trips occuring at certain times of the day?
Compared to rush hour - no. Train frequencies drop but they are still generally a quater full by the time they reach the city/leave the city during non-rush hour times. During rush hour they are often so full that commuters are left standing on the platform as there's no room.
One exception in late night services, which may have frequencies as low as one train per 30 mins. These are generally pretty full.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM   #153
gappa
Registered Abuser

These show a train near the end of the line in Cranbourne. Cows need public transport too!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

DanielFA liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM   #154
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

The sprawl will eat that land up pretty soon though.

Svartmetall: Off-peak travel is generally local in nature - short hops of a few stations - so the trains never get really full. That's in contrast to peak traffic - almost all passengers are heading towards the CBD.

Most lines are being expanded to full-time 6 carriage sets. The 1:00am from the city on a Friday night on my line (last train for about 3-4 hours) used to be similarly loaded to a peak hour train when it was three carriages long. Generally in off peak times on the busier lines, you'll have most seats taken but no standing passengers except for those who don't sit next to strangers (argh!) and groups who don't want to split up. And everyone sits in the carriage nearest their station entrance/exit so you can get trains with a packed front carriage but the rear carriages might be empty.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #155
gappa
Registered Abuser

Cantebury Station in Melbourne's east:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A few photos showing a couple of metcard ticket machines. This first one is the smaller of the two and only takes coins. Also it doesn't dispense as many varieties of ticket as it's larger brother. It's also found on trams.

image hosted on flickr

The larger version. These take notes and cards.

image hosted on flickr

And here's a close up of the interface, it's quite simple to use, just go from left to right. Note that zone three has been dispanded hence the surplus buttons.

image hosted on flickr

DanielFA liked this post
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #156
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

That's a very skinny platform, and a ridiculously huge ticket machine!
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #157
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Nothing like as huge as the Sydney ticket machines!
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #158
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

I love this old photo by Sahen on Flinders st...

Sydney's machine is pretty crazy, no other transport company on Earth would be stupid enough to make a machine with every single station having its own button:
image hosted on flickr

But Sydney make sup for it with the views from their stations...

DanielFA liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #159
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Sydney's machine is pretty crazy, no other transport company on Earth would be stupid enough to make a machine with every single station having its own button:
image hosted on flickr
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur...? Check out the KTM Komuter TVMs sometime...they only have 1/3 the buttons, but yeah, 1 button per station

Quote:
But Sydney make sup for it with the views from their stations...
no doubt...gorgeous view.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #160
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

I remember the vending machines for the London Underground had a separate button for each station. It might have changed now that everyone uses Oyster.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
melbourne, train