daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #2001
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Many of the passes used by the Interstate Highways aren't steep, thus the need for tunnels is greatly reduced. Aside from the construction of I 70 through Glenwood Canyon in the 70s and the Boston Artery Tunnel Project in the late 90s/ early 2000s there were no major projects. The Eisenhower Tunnel was one of the few that were required because of mountainous terrain.

Fast forward to today. There's only two significant projects. The first, is in California on Hwy 101. This twin tube tunnel will bypass the notorious Devils Slide area. The initial plan, was to simply look at upgrading the existing highway, but it was found that that would have very little, if any benefit. The tunnel, though expensive to build, will result in long term savings.

The second, is the replacement of Seattle's Alaska Way Viaduct. Though not on a major highway, this project is expected to improve traffic flow through Seattle, as well as getting rid of a structure that is literally, a hairs breadth away from being condemned.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2002
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Conceptual images of the Windsor-Essex Parkway.

Video

The Windsor-Essex Parkway will extend Highway 401 to a new bridge border crossing with the USA, creating a full freeway link in Windsor.

Construction starts later this year. Prep work begun in 2010.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2003
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

Awesome! Thanks for posting!
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #2004
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Having all that grade seperation cobbled together with one roundabout would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #2005
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Having all that grade seperation cobbled together with one roundabout would be a disaster waiting to happen.
I think traffic volumes there are expected to be low.

------

Very cool interactive map: http://www.weparkway.ca/interactivem...activeMap.html

It will be the first major highway project in Ontario since the 407 and 416 were completed in the late 1990's.

My Simcity Stuff
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #2006
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

There's several sections that could be covered over, that would create more greenspace. But other than that... Do like.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2007
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The Windsor Essex Parkway looks amazing. I can't wait to see it constructed. It will set the new standard for urban freeways in Ontario.

To me, the highway seems somewhat reminiscent of the central segment of Michigan's Interstate 696. Check this out to see what I mean.
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2008
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The Windsor Essex Parkway looks amazing. I can't wait to see it constructed. It will set the new standard for urban freeways in Ontario.

To me, the highway seems somewhat reminiscent of the central segment of Michigan's Interstate 696. Check this out to see what I mean.
Yeah the Windsor-Essex parkway is a "sunken" highway. You don't see that often in Ontario... the only other highway that I know is sunken is the 409.

Problem with sunken highways is its really difficult to widen/reconstruct them in the future. Looks like their goona get it right with the W-E Parkway... it's well designed and has 6-8 lanes it seems.

It will certainly be a different drive into Windsor. Huron Church Road will never be the same and the E-C Row Expressway will no longer be an isolated freeway.

My Simcity Stuff
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2009
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Yeah the Windsor-Essex parkway is a "sunken" highway. You don't see that often in Ontario... the only other highway that I know is sunken is the 409.

Problem with sunken highways is its really difficult to widen/reconstruct them in the future. Looks like their goona get it right with the W-E Parkway... it's well designed and has 6-8 lanes it seems.

It will certainly be a different drive into Windsor. Huron Church Road will never be the same and the E-C Row Expressway will no longer be an isolated freeway.
A cross-section of six basic lanes should be more than enough for the W-E Parkway. The 401 isn't really all that busy east of Windsor, and could still function at an acceptable level of service if it were four lanes.

The real bottleneck for the new bridge will be the customs operations. I'd bet the customs houses are congested far before the freeway lanes are.

The same is true of the 402 near Sarnia. There is a large project ongoing to four-lane the westbound approach to the Bluewater Bridge. But, it isn't that the 402 itself is congested -- in fact traffic volumes are fairly light for a four lane freeway, however, the customs houses are so overburdened that the queue spills back into Sarnia.
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:11 AM   #2010
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

HA!!! My idea for a route between Revelstoke and the Alberta border get's a shot in the arm. Once AGAIN, HWY 1 is closed due to avalanches.
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #2011
sonysnob

Moving on Down

Hwy 400/407 interchange at the lowest level.

Old February 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #2012
NJam101

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post

It's about the time 401 be completed at its westernmost end. I like the idea of sunken highways in cities.

Other sunken highways I can recall from travel in Canada are a portion of Highway 409 in Toronto near the airport and the Décarie Expressway portion of Autoroute 15 in Montreal. Shorter ones I can think of are part of Autoroute 720 in Montreal East of the tunnel and a short section of Autoroute 73 in Quebec City. I know that some freeways are slightly sunken here and there but can't think of any others at the moment. If anybody knows of more in Canada please let us know.
NJam101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #2013
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I think the Whitemud Freeway in Edmonton is partially sunken.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2014
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

It is. From 170th St to The Groat Rd. Bridge. The western part is very shallow, while descending to the bridge it gets deeper.
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #2015
Metro One

Likes (Received): 4

A short stretch of the Upper Levels Highway in North Vancouver is sunken as well.

Anyways, so in regards to this new border access highway in Windsor does this mean the new cross border bridge has been approved as well??
Metro One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #2016
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Yup. The "Cut" Traveled that many times when I lived in N. Van.
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2017
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
HA!!! My idea for a route between Revelstoke and the Alberta border get's a shot in the arm. Once AGAIN, HWY 1 is closed due to avalanches.
You know, one of the things that I think often gets overlooked when we talk about the failures of our Trans-Canada Highway, is just how beautiful our road is.

I have talked about this before, on other forums, but in the case of Highway 17, across Northern Ontario for example. If they were to build a new freeway on an upgraded alignment, the beauty of the highway could not be maintained.

A few years ago, the MTO looked into by-passing the Montreal River Hill on Highway 17. It can be seen here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...12,304.14,,0,5

The MTO was met with fierce opposition with their plan because they were by-passing one of the most beautiful sections of road in the province. The Southerly descent from the high shoreline hills onto the Lake Superior is one of the most dramatic vistas that a driver can be treated to.

I have to say, I wouldn't want this by-passed either.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #2018
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

What you have to remember is, is that my dream alignment serves through traffic, while the current routing is for tourist traffic. The dream alignment also protects wildlife much better, as the route is mostly in tunnel, avalanche gallery or cut (which could be roofed over to create a wildlife overpass).

Through traffic (mostly truck traffic and Greyhound motor-coaches) would use the new route, while tourists would be able to continue to use the existing route, but not have to contend with the vast amount of traffic.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:20 AM   #2019
Haljackey

Canada's national highway system as of 2009:

My Simcity Stuff
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:58 AM   #2020
sonysnob

Scarblackastan, Ontario

Taken this evening, on my way home from work:

Jewish liked this post