daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #2081
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
The Trans-Canada Highway at Rogers Pass in British Colombia. Truly one of the most magnificent drives in the country.

image hosted on flickr

Rogers Pass South by bulliver, on Flickr

Full size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/3719523630/
Reminds me of my drive from Lake Louise to Jasper and back. Lovely part of the country for driving!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #2082
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Also the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto wouldn't be built if it were by today's standards. :
Hamilton built the Red Hill in the last decade, and its really just Hamilton's version of the DVP.

I agree they likely would have put the 401 somewhere else though.
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #2083
sonysnob

Hwy 407 ETR

bump

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #2084
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

blue signs? And concrete pavement
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #2085
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

What sharp little eyes you've got

(that's a movie quote)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #2086
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
blue signs? And concrete pavement
In Canada (at least Ontario), blue signs are used on tollways (and we happen to only have one tollway in Ontario - the 407) and also on collector (local) lanes of freeways with an express/collector setup (e.g. on the wide sections of Highway 401, the express lanes use green but the collector lanes use blue). This latter use is actually quite useful because the amount of signage on a highway like the 401 can be quite overwhelming and it is useful to have this separation.

As for concrete - it is indeed not very common in Canada (the 427 was the last major non-toll freeway in the Toronto area that had a concrete surface, but was completely covered with asphalt a while ago). The 407 is an exception.
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #2087
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
bump
Yeah this thread has sort of gone off the radar.

Most of the activity now takes place at Skyscraperpage. I'll link it to you guys: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190293

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #2088
sonysnob

The Gardiner Expwy approaching Downtown Toronto:

(Though I still think this thread is dead).
Old June 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #2089
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Yeah this thread has sort of gone off the radar.

Most of the activity now takes place at Skyscraperpage. I'll link it to you guys: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=190293
I'm not sure what the point is of having multiple forums: A person who's trying to keep up but has finite amounts of time...well, it would be more convenient for such a person to have one place to go than half a dozen (although how does one decide which one's the "main" one?).

Just my two cents....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #2090
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I'm not sure what the point is of having multiple forums: A person who's trying to keep up but has finite amounts of time...well, it would be more convenient for such a person to have one place to go than half a dozen (although how does one decide which one's the "main" one?).

Just my two cents....
Yeah that was not cool of Haljackey to do that. Totally derailed this thread. We're trying to keep highway infrastructure information for each country streamlined and centralized, not spreading it out over a bunch of websites. Plus skyscraperpage is a garbage website anyway. Lots of talk with very little substance.
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #2091
sonysnob

I don't think Hal's intention was to derail this thread, it had been a little bit slow anyways.
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #2092
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Province puts brakes on controversial highway
Published On Tue Jul 26 2011
Toronto Star

http://www.niagara-gta.com/index.html

A highway plan connecting the Niagara peninsula with the GTA, but possibly degrading part of the escarpment, will not proceed as planned.

The proposed 400-series highway, the so-called “asphalt arrow,” would have linked Niagara Falls to Hamilton via Burlington, and connect to highways 401, 403 or 407, providing an alternative to the QEW.

The province said a more focused analysis would be conducted in the future.

“We are not going to just assume we need to pave a mega highway through the escarpment,” said Kelly Baker, a transportation ministry spokesperson.

On Tuesday, Halton Regional chair Gary Carr expressed his pleasure that the Niagara-to-GTA corridor would not go forward.

“Together we have protected the Niagara Escarpment and our natural heritage for future generations to enjoy,” Carr said in a news release.

Proponents argued the highway would encourage job growth in the region. But critics, including community groups, environmentalists, Halton regional council and Burlington city council applauded the decision.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #2093
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Is that really necessary? It seems to me the QEW is not extremely undersized. It's mostly 2x3 lanes with 2x4 around Hamilton.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #2094
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The QEW is quite congested already out of Toronto as it is a major commuter route along the western suburbs. While the 407 extension to the 403 does help alleviate a bit of the commuter traffic, the QEW is still the only major highway link between the country's largest city and the US border at Niagara / Buffalo. With all that traffic (passenger and cargo), I think a certain level of redundancy is needed.

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #2095
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is that really necessary? It seems to me the QEW is not extremely undersized. It's mostly 2x3 lanes with 2x4 around Hamilton.
So far almost every time I drove on the QEW on a weekend morning/noon, I spent half of my journey not moving at all. As hkskyline said, this is the only highway connecting the GTA to Niagara and the US border, and often it is extremely congested.

I think the 2x4 sections are quite new, however, and may have improved traffic somewhat since the last time I drove there.

My video from a while back shows very typical traffic on the QEW (it was sped up almost 20 times in that section):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQetn185Z9c#t=2m25s
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2096
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's weird, because 80 000 - 85 000 vehicles per day on six lanes should not be a problem.
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2097
TheCat

It is especially bad at certain times and at certain locations, although I do not know the AADT statistics (I'm sure you know better than me).

The sections near Mississauga, Burlington, and St. Catharines are often congested.
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, I can understand about the Mississauga - Hamilton sections. But the traffic volumes on the Hamilton - Saint Catharines section are not that high for six lanes. There are instances where twice that amount of traffic is recorded on six lanes.
Old July 28th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2099
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

I have to agree with everyone about QEW from Hamilton to Niagara. Every time I'm on it, it's very congested and sometime travel speeds are well below 90/kmh. What seems to cause some backups is the skyway especially when the high wind warnings are posted. People always slow down to go over it.
Then there's the section from Burlington to the 427/Gardiner which is a painful stop and go crawl at times and it usually start after I pass Appleby. A fair percentage of the traffic is us Americans en route to T.O. helping to clog it up
I really wish it had been built with express/collection lanes. There were times I just wanted to avoid it all together and would cross at Windsor instead and 401 it up, which is a nice ride at times passing K-W, Guelph and Milton. Bit hilly and fun to drive.
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2100
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, I can understand about the Mississauga - Hamilton sections. But the traffic volumes on the Hamilton - Saint Catharines section are not that high for six lanes. There are instances where twice that amount of traffic is recorded on six lanes.
You also need to consider the possibility of a major accident closing many lanes and severely impacting cargo movements to/from the US.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto