daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #2101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Of course another freeway is better for network redundancy. But a new east-west freeway parallel to QEW would mostly serve rural areas. Welland is already served by the 406 and east-west traffic towards London is now served by the Red Hill Valley Parkway. I think this new freeway will be of very little use, you can't justify a new freeway just for those few times per year the road is blocked for a longer period. Why not widen the existing freeway to 8 lanes instead?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2102
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18142

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Of course another freeway is better for network redundancy. But a new east-west freeway parallel to QEW would mostly serve rural areas. Welland is already served by the 406 and east-west traffic towards London is now served by the Red Hill Valley Parkway. I think this new freeway will be of very little use, you can't justify a new freeway just for those few times per year the road is blocked for a longer period. Why not widen the existing freeway to 8 lanes instead?
Technical constraints, especially in St. Catharines where the QEW is bound by the built-up city. The proposed alignment actually is a shorter route to the Fort Erie crossing (Buffalo) while the present QEW alignment is more efficient for Niagara.

The new alignment will help trucks travelling between the GTA and the US, and not so much the rural areas where it passes.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2103
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Do most trucks go through Buffalo? In my experience (and I grew up in Southern Ontario, and lived in the Niagara Region for about 6 years) the QEW between Niagara Falls and Fort Erie is rather quiet.

I thought most use the 405 over the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #2104
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

I used to see lots of trucks on the peace bridge. Taking the 405/I-190 from Lewiston to Buffalo takes longer than simply taking the QEW to Buffalo.

You also have to pay for another toll bridge if you take it.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #2105
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Do most trucks go through Buffalo? In my experience (and I grew up in Southern Ontario, and lived in the Niagara Region for about 6 years) the QEW between Niagara Falls and Fort Erie is rather quiet.

I thought most use the 405 over the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge.

I use Ft. Erie most of the time and the truck traffic is light down that end of QEW and the crossing.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #2106
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18142

Learn more about the border crossings : http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/...canada-border/

The Peace Bridge is the country's 3rd busiest crossing for passenger vehicles and trucks.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

18,900 vehicles per day. That's nothing, in Europe there are border crossings with 70,000 vehicles per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #2108
tonylondon

Likes (Received): 31

name it please if true
tonylondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #2109
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, I can understand about the Mississauga - Hamilton sections. But the traffic volumes on the Hamilton - Saint Catharines section are not that high for six lanes. There are instances where twice that amount of traffic is recorded on six lanes.
It is an issue of both high summer volumes (ranging generally between 100,000 and 115,000) between Hamilton and Niagara Falls, and a lot of truck traffic. In my experience the QEW is seldom congested in the Winter, but fairly congested in the Summer. An extra lane per direction could be added at relatively little cost. When the QEW was six laned in the 1990s, the highway was built with eight lanes in mind.
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #2110
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Wow the highway thread over on SSP is an absolute disaster
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #2111
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Wow the highway thread over on SSP is an absolute disaster
Yeah ... the transit v. highway debate is pretty tired.
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #2112
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
SSp is more serious then SSC , they back things up with facts and other things and demand certain things.... SSC is more relaxed , its also less facts and more photos.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2113
sonysnob

I like the photo threads here.

This is a section of Ontario's Old Highway 17 east of Ottawa:
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #2114
VoltAmps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Yeah its pretty sad. They can't set aside 1 thread for the actual discussion of highways (specifications, proposals, general discussion, etc.). Just a bunch of transit trolls spewing the same tired lines. And most of the time they're wrong
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #2115
sonysnob

the Don Valley Parkway from Lawrence:

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #2116
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Anything happening on a new crossing between Detroit and Windsor? There has been a advert playing quite frequently on CBC Newsworld and CTV Headline News channels. In the advert, it's claimed that the Michigan Govt has voted down the project, while at the same time, a certain MLA (Dalton McGuinty [spell?] comes to mind) in Ont. is pressing ahead with a "Freeway To Nowhere". Does anyone have any info on the status of the project?
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2117
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

All I know is the MTO has a plan to upgrade connectivity from the Ambassador bridge to the 401. Basically get rid of that congested traffic light riddled stretch of Huron Church rd.

I wish they would extend the 401 to Amherstburg, ON and build a crossing over to Gibraltar or Rockwood, MI to connect to I-75 and skip driving through Detroit and ease congestion at the Bridge/Tunnel crossing there. One can dream.....
Here's the MTOs link for the Detroit-Windsor border improvements

And heres a link to the Windsor area improvements
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #2118
sonysnob

I think its a complicated issue. From Michigan's perspective, MDOT just spent a ton of money on their gateway project which links the Ambassador bridge directly to both I-75 and I-96. Now the Ambassador Bridge Company hasn't fulfilled their end of the deal, and I suspect that they are generally pretty bad corporate citizens. However, I can appreciate Michigan's reluctance to build another approach freeway and systems interchange.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #2119
VoltAmps

Fargo Wolf the commercials you're talking about are a bunch of misinformation from the Ambassador Bridge Company. They set up shop in Canada now aswell and have been funding these commercials calling out the Premier of Ontario and his "highway to nowhere".

The next step for the bridge is a vote proposed by Governor Rich Snyder in the fall by the Michigan legislature. Until then its all speculation but I gaurantee the bill will pass. When you see the province of Ontario already going ahead with the Windsor Essex parkway, its pretty obvious they mean business and this deal WILL get done.

Until the vote this fall all we can do is watch construction of the WE Parkway (ontario residents get down there and start snapping pictures!).

In the very unlikely event the bill doesn't pass though Lt. Governor Brian Calley has said there are 12 different ways of doing the bridge, so regardless of the outcome this thing will get done. They path they're taking now is their most desired though, so lets hope the bill passes
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #2120
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

I figured as much Volt. Just thought I'd get a bit of a confirmation on them.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto