daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #2161
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

I see lots of concrete medians on the outside but not the inside.

Maybe because it blocks the driver's field of vision? There's lots of curves on the road and being able to see across all the lanes might be a big asset.

Still it's weird to see a double-yellow line road with those lines so far apart. Usually when that occurs there's something between them.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #2162
kev_427
Average User

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Actually, the construction of the Coquihalla Hwy, was the biggest rock moving project in BC history. 5 million cubic meters of rock was blasted during construction.
You're probably right about that. Not sure where I got my information.
kev_427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2163
kev_427
Average User

Yeah, it's not a freeway, just an expressway. Don't see a need for a freeway at the moment.
Old December 21st, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2164
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
I see lots of concrete medians on the outside but not the inside.

Maybe because it blocks the driver's field of vision? There's lots of curves on the road and being able to see across all the lanes might be a big asset.

Still it's weird to see a double-yellow line road with those lines so far apart. Usually when that occurs there's something between them.
The traffic levels don't warrant no-post in between the center lines yet. With the lines that far apart, it will be easy to install it if it becomes required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
Yeah, it's not a freeway, just an expressway. Don't see a need for a freeway at the moment.
We don't have expressways in BC. That's just a 4 lane highway. Posted limit is 90 km/h.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2165
kev_427
Average User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
We don't have expressways in BC. That's just a 4 lane highway. Posted limit is 90 km/h.
Wrong. it's a 4-lane undivided carriageway with level crossings.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 02:12 AM   #2166
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What's the meaning of that upper sign with the black dot? No stopping or something?
Yeah Funny american standard!!
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #2167
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

bump.

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2168
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I thought the Gardiner was part of Hy. 2?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2169
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I thought the Gardiner was part of Hy. 2?
It used to be, yes, but that sign really is an error. There is no longer a Hwy 2 through Toronto, and when there was it followed the Gardiner.

Old January 18th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #2170
niko.athens.greece
Niko Athens

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73 View Post
Screw driving across Canada. Buy a plane ticket!
no....just take Interstate 90! It is much quicker and a more to see. You'll be in Ontario much quicker than taking the TCH.
niko.athens.greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2171
niko.athens.greece
Niko Athens

Totally agree with you ! The terrain is just an easy way out ! Europe also has rugged terrain. Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria to name but a few have very rugged mountainous areas yet they have been able to navigate freeways through these regions, building bridges in places where it was thought to be impossible, at elevations which scare the heck out of me just thinking of the height ! And tunnels through these mountainous areas that measure not in feet or meters but in
kilometers [or miles if you like] BC has always wimped out when it came to building a proper highway system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyunltd View Post
Puh-lease. BC has a difficult terrain, but it ain't so much different from Sierra Nevada (which has much higher mountain passes and rugged terrain) or even the American Rockies (higher mountain passes).

BC's mountain are much shorter than their American counterpart.

Last edited by niko.athens.greece; January 18th, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: grammar/structure
niko.athens.greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2172
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Recorded a timelapse winter drive on Highway 401 yesterday, from the 403 to the 402.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3Nq6R0raE&hd=1

Even though we're well into January, Southwest Ontario has very little snow, and what we do have is expected to melt over the next few days. It's the most pathetic winter I've ever experienced in all my life.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Huge pothole (sinkhole sounds better) in Saskatoon.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #2174
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko.athens.greece View Post
no....just take Interstate 90! It is much quicker and a more to see. You'll be in Ontario much quicker than taking the TCH.
That's what I was thinking too.

Quote:
Huge pothole (sinkhole sounds better) in Saskatoon.
I'd say that's a great candidate for the annual "Worst Pothole" contest they have there.
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #2175
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko.athens.greece View Post
lol... piggybacking on US highways

Now, seriously, Canada needs a plant to convert all TCH to highway standards.

When US built I-8 to Yuma, I-80 through Nevada or I-10 in Arizona many though they were completely useless and wouldn't have any traffic for 100 years... look at what cities along these routes have become compared to other cities no on the highways...

With a world-class freeway from Vancouver to Prince Edward Island, many areas in Alberta, Mantioba and Ontario could experience more development over time. Especially if they improve snow-clearing to Swiss standards, build some covered sectors, snow basins etc.

While this doesn't happen, Canada should at least:

- link I-15 terminus with Calgary and I-29 terminus with Winnipeg with a highway
- link Regina and Saskatoon with a highway
- upgrade Route 1 between Calgary and Vancouver through the mountains to highway standards, including some serious tunneling
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #2176
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
lol... piggybacking on US highways

Now, seriously, Canada needs a plant to convert all TCH to highway standards.

When US built I-8 to Yuma, I-80 through Nevada or I-10 in Arizona many though they were completely useless and wouldn't have any traffic for 100 years... look at what cities along these routes have become compared to other cities no on the highways...

With a world-class freeway from Vancouver to Prince Edward Island, many areas in Alberta, Mantioba and Ontario could experience more development over time. Especially if they improve snow-clearing to Swiss standards, build some covered sectors, snow basins etc.

While this doesn't happen, Canada should at least:

- link I-15 terminus with Calgary and I-29 terminus with Winnipeg with a highway
- link Regina and Saskatoon with a highway
- upgrade Route 1 between Calgary and Vancouver through the mountains to highway standards, including some serious tunneling
Here's the thing. In the USA, roads are Federal, State, and Local. In Canada, roads are Provincial and Local. So you see, it's much more difficult to standardize the roads.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2177
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Most major routes in the Prairie Provinces are four-lane highways with very few traffic lights. They basically function as at-grade freeways and traffic volumes are too low to warrant an upgrade to a full freeway. Most of the Trans-Canada Highway carries only about 5,000 vehicles per day outside the urban areas. The main problem is Ontario, where a large portion of the TCH has only two lanes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2178
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Most major routes in the Prairie Provinces are four-lane highways with very few traffic lights. They basically function as at-grade freeways and traffic volumes are too low to warrant an upgrade to a full freeway. Most of the Trans-Canada Highway carries only about 5,000 vehicles per day outside the urban areas. The main problem is Ontario, where a large portion of the TCH has only two lanes.
In Ontario/Quebec however the TCH splits up into many different routes. The main problem seems to be around Thunder Bay and between Kenora and the Manitoba border where all east-west traffic is forced into that two-lane stretch with no alternatives available.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #2179
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Considering how fast economies and populations of Alberta and BC are growing they should start thinking about continuous freeway from Vancouver to Calgary.
It is of course challenging project but in Alpine countries roads are build across difficult terrain for years now.
Come on guys, get some Swiss or Austrian engineering firms and let's go.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2180
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Considering how fast economies and populations of Alberta and BC are growing they should start thinking about continuous freeway from Vancouver to Calgary.
It is of course challenging project but in Alpine countries roads are build across difficult terrain for years now.
Come on guys, get some Swiss or Austrian engineering firms and let's go.
I doubt there's enough density to warrant investing so much money tunnelling through the Rockies!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto