daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2301
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A major Autoroute opening today in Québec Province. The final 30 kilometers of A30 opened to traffic today. This is partially a toll road because of the number of bridges and a tunnel.

Starting today, traffic from Toronto or Ottawa toward just about any other city than Montréal in Québec does not have to drive through the Montréal urban area anymore. It's a huge improvement for through traffic. A540 near Vaudreuil-Dorion is also renumbered to A30, this also eliminates the existence of two A540's in Québec. The former A30 around Salaberry-de-Valleyfield (a two-lane road and part autoroute) is renumbered to A530.

I know the Québec Autoroutes are numbered in a similar fashion to the US Interstates, that is in increasing order depending on the direction (north of the St. Lawrence or eastward/downstream of the St. Lawrence). The 30 would prove to be one running contrary to that at least around the south shore of Montréal. The 20 which connects with the 401 in Ontario to Toronto runs between the 40 and 30 from Dorion until Ste-Julie.

I guess they didn't want to go to the trouble of renumbering the 20 and 30 to fit the pattern. Then when you get to the Pont Champlain it's signed as the east-west 10 and 20 as well as the north-south 15! There are a few cases like this with the US Interstate system as well. Segments built at a later date not exactly conforming to the general numbering scheme.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #2302
cyruskafaiwu

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Do they 'keep right except when passing' everywhere in Canada like that?
It's just an québec habit. Ive never seen it anywhere else.
Old December 17th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #2303
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Quote:
A major Autoroute opening today in Québec Province. The final 30 kilometers of A30 opened to traffic today. This is partially a toll road because of the number of bridges and a tunnel.

Starting today, traffic from Toronto or Ottawa toward just about any other city than Montréal in Québec does not have to drive through the Montréal urban area anymore. It's a huge improvement for through traffic. A540 near Vaudreuil-Dorion is also renumbered to A30, this also eliminates the existence of two A540's in Québec. The former A30 around Salaberry-de-Valleyfield (a two-lane road and part autoroute) is renumbered to A530.

Now A35 needs to be completed so there is a direct connection to I-89 and New England. Right now I have to go through New York to get there.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #2304
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyruskafaiwu View Post
It's just an québec habit. Ive never seen it anywhere else.
It is a normal habit in Europe and Iran as far as I know.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2305
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

A couple of months ago, I had the pleasure of visiting Canada for the first time. I really enjoyed my stay both in Toronto and Kingston, but I also enjoyed my driving on Ontario's highways. For many reasons.

First, experiencing the 401 through Toronto was borderline insane for a Norwegian. Sure, I have driven on London's M25, Madrid's busy motorways, 12-lane sections around Rotterdam and the 101 south of San Fransisco, but facing 14-18 busy lanes on off-peak hours was something else. First I entered the 401 close to Pearson and I just laughed. It wasn't particularly busy, but 18 lanes with quite a few cars at 10.30 in the morning was something else.

Still, I enjoyed the quieter 4-lane sections towards Kingston more. Easy driving (and I soon noticed that Canadian drivers treated the 100 kph limit exactly the same way Norwegians do - no serious overspeeding, but a 100? Come on...), and really nice scenery. Driving off the main highways was also very straightforward, not much tailgating or aggressive behaviour that I could spot. I just enjoyed it.

Even Toronto wasn't particularly bad. I had to get off the main roads and into the city proper to drop someone off, but I survived without breaking a sweat. The QEW down to Niagara and back was busy - Thanksgiving weekend... - but I enjoyed that too. In short, I enjoyed everything, including the driving. Will most certainly be back!:-)
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #2306
Smelser

Likes (Received): 4

The new, $3.3-billion Port Mann Bridge was shut down for four hours Wednesday (Dec 19) after ice bombs fell from its cables, damaging the windshields on dozens of cars and causing one person to be knocked unconscious.

The Vancouver Sun story contains a 22 photos, including other cable stayed bridges around the world:
http://www.vancouversun.com/Photos+P...#ixzz2FvpCS4i5

Here are some additional links:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/vanc...824/story.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsC-dYB496A

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/falling-ice-inj...idge-1.1085923

http://www.timescolonist.com/port-ma...hicles-1.31984

http://www.theprovince.com/Polak+dro...879/story.html

Finally, here is the overall agreement between Partnerships BC (Govt P3 agency) and Kiewit-Flatiron, the builder:

http://www.partnershipsbc.ca/files-4...g_Redacted.pdf

p 52 of Schedule 4 (3.4.2.2(d)) shows references to ice and snow buildup on cables.
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2307
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Highways 401-403-410

image hosted on flickr

Highways 401, 403, 410 by Nicolas Demers, on Flickr

Highways QEW-Gardiner-427

image hosted on flickr

27 Large interchange on 401 in Toronto 1 of 2 by International Joint Commission, on Flickr

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #2308
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Highway 404, Ontario

Some sources indicate a Highway 404 extension from Newmarket to Keswick will open in December 2012. Has this section already been opened or is it delayed? A 2011 media report even named an opening date of 15 December.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #2309
NFZANMNIM

Quote:
Some sources indicate a Highway 404 extension from Newmarket to Keswick will open in December 2012. Has this section already been opened or is it delayed? A 2011 media report even named an opening date of 15 December.
I think it is open. now why do I say that? It is because last night we took a trip on the highway from south and got off at exit 49 on Mulock Drive (74). This happenned at around 19:50 on 25 december and the highway from that point on northbound was relatively crowded.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2310
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The 404 extension didn't open this year. The opening has been delayed until sometime in 2014.

Some photos taken in October of this year:

The current freeway terminus:

This photo looks southerly towards the current northern freeway terminus:

Here is a photo of a future underpass:

I have compiled a page of photos from the project on this page:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...xtn_images.htm
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:40 AM   #2311
bikedude1994

Likes (Received): 1

Yep! We're civilized!
bikedude1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2312
NFZANMNIM

Where is it all gonna end? the 404...
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2313
sonysnob

^ The 404 will end at Woodbine Avenue just south of Ravenshoe Road. Highway 404 is going to "become" the north leg of Woodbine Avenue, with the south leg branching off at a "T" intersection at grade.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:50 AM   #2314
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Why is it taking so long?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:26 AM   #2315
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Why is it taking so long?
I don't know. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason. It might just be busy contractors. There is a lot of construction going on around the GTA right now. The Highway 7 widening (Pickering to Whitby) is delayed for no apparent reason either.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:25 AM   #2316
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Yep, it wouldn't surprise me if there is just a sheer shortage of construction workers. The city is basically a giant construction site right now.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #2317
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Some progress being made on the Windsor-Essex Parkway, with the roundabout now opened to traffic.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #2318
NFZANMNIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Some progress being made on the Windsor-Essex Parkway, with the roundabout now opened to traffic.

Cool finally a real significant roundabout in this coutry
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #2319
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I don't know. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason. It might just be busy contractors. There is a lot of construction going on around the GTA right now. The Highway 7 widening (Pickering to Whitby) is delayed for no apparent reason either.
The province could simply be deferring some projects while it's running a deficit. With the deficit being smaller than predicted for 2012, let's hope the trend continues and these projects get back on track.

Obviously those projects already underway (ie: 401 collector/express extension in Mississauga) are safe. Those that could be deferred by a year or two are probably the ones which have stalled. In the case of the 404, rather than opening it in two phases to Keswick, they're just going to open the whole thing at once.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #2320
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Speaking of Windsor, I made a new video showing the Dougall Parkway in Windsor and the reconstructed approach on Highway 401. Hope you like!

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto