daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #2321
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

I have one more video to share with you guys. A (fast) timelapse drive on the 401 west of Tilbury showing the 6 lane cross-section and all those windmills.

Now when are they goona start working on the stretch towards London? I hate it when trucks are passing eachother and a huge que forms behind them.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #2322
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Speaking of Windsor, I made a new video showing the Dougall Parkway in Windsor and the reconstructed approach on Highway 401. Hope you like!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8vpSbdu6z4">YouTube Link</a>
Why didn't you go straight ahead?
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2323
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Why didn't you go straight ahead?
I wasn't going that way. There's not much to see anyway... just a bunch of Construction signs & stuff. Besides I wanted to show off the Dougall Parkway.

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #2324
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I wasn't going that way. There's not much to see anyway... just a bunch of Construction signs & stuff. Besides I wanted to show off the Dougall Parkway.
So there has not been much progress on the Windsor-Essex Parkway then?
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #2325
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
So there has not been much progress on the Windsor-Essex Parkway then?
Not much you can see from Talbot Road (the current parallel road). You can see some work from the crossing roads however. Some pics and videos can be found via a dedicated thread on Skyscraperpage: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188722

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #2326
Haljackey

The Daily Show actually did a segment about the new bridge between Windsor and Detroit and it's pretty effing awesome.

http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/the...13/#clip840560

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2327
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
The Daily Show actually did a segment
How did I miss that on my fav show?!

Anyway, your link doesn't work with me, this one works. It starts at 8:45.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...3-jeff-bridges

(PS: nice to see you here Haljackey )
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2328
Haljackey

A parade of snowplows!

My Simcity Stuff

Substructure, n20, Jewish, EU-Europa liked this post
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2329
Transportfan

Likes (Received): 7

Here's an animation I made of the 400 near Parry Sound from Google Street View images.

PS: Haljackey, you stated in your 401 driving video that the 401 was widened because of the pileup in the '90s. I don't think that was the reason it was actually widened though. Actually I don't think they even needed to widen it.

DanielFigFoz, Jewish liked this post
Transportfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #2330
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transportfan View Post

PS: Haljackey, you stated in your 401 driving video that the 401 was widened because of the pileup in the '90s. I don't think that was the reason it was actually widened though. Actually I don't think they even needed to widen it.
If you're filling in the grass median to replace it with a concrete barrier you may as well add another lane while you're at it... If not that would be one wide left shoulder.

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #2331
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Here's an animation I made of the 400 near Parry Sound from Google Street View images.

Excellent video and stitching of the images.
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2332
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some new Hwy 401 images through eastern Ontario:

1. Hwy 401 crossing the Salmon River, this structure was widened to a six lane cross-section several years ago.

2. Wyman's Road overpass. Most of Hwy 401 through eastern Ontario was built during the 1950s and early 1960s. Steel railings haven't been used on highway overpasses for decades, and are gradually being retrofitted with concrete.

3. View looking westerly from Wyman's Road overpass. West of Wyman's Road, Hwy 401 was opened in the late 1950s, and originally lacked any sort of median barrier. This barrier was added sometime in the 1990s.

4. Easterly view from the Wyman's Road overpass. Highway 401 ended here for approximately 5 years. More modern sections of the road were built with a wider central median that doesn't require a median barrier.

5. Easterly view from the Hwy 49 overpass. Most of the interchanges along the 401 are partial cloverleafs such as this.

6. Angled signage for the Desoronto Road interchange. Angled signage such as this was used extensively on Ontario roads in the 1960s and 70s. It has been phased out almost in its entirety. This sign has been removed since this photo was taken.

7. Easterly view approaching Napanee. Hwy 401 is fairly busy through eastern Ontario and will need to be widened to six lanes in the not to distant future.

8. The County Road 1 overpass in Napanee, ON. Numerous arched ridged frame bridges were constructed on Ontario Freeways during the 1940s and 50s.

9. The Westbrook Road overpass at the western edge of Kingston is one of the most attractive structure types ever built in the province.

More and larger images here:
http://www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...p14_images.htm
http://www.AsphaltPlanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...p15_images.htm
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #2333
Transportfan

Quote:
If you're filling in the grass median to replace it with a concrete barrier you may as well add another lane while you're at it... If not that would be one wide left shoulder.
There was virually no median in that stretch at all, just literally a few feet of grass between the left shoulders. And there are lots of places elsewhere on the 401 with even wider medians where a barrier was installed without widening, as seen in the above pics.

Last edited by Transportfan; January 20th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2334
sonysnob

Quote:
There was virually no median in that stretch at all, just literally a few feet of grass between the left shoulders. And there are lots of places elsewhere on the 401 with even wider medians where a barrier was installed without widening, as seen in the above pics.
The median along the 401 between Windsor and Tilbury was typical of a 1950s era highway:

Compare this to the QEW between Fort Erie and Niagara Falls:

Or Hwy 11 along the Orillia By-pass (also a 1950s era divided highway):

Before the 1980s and 90s or so, there were hundreds of additional kilometres of road like this across the province. Today, it's only the QEW.

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons the 401 was widened between Tilbury and Windsor was to spread traffic out, to try and minimize the chance of another September, 1999 pile-up.

That said, pileups such as that are hard to design for. The pileup was caused by dense fog and driver error -- not the design of the highway. The highway may have exacerbated the problem because of the cross-over collision potential, but it wasn't the initial cause.

The 401 between Windsor and Tilbury had operated for almost 50 years without such an event, and who's to say another event will happen in that location? What if the next pileup is on the QEW, or the 417? Fog can happen anywhere, regardless of the road. Who's to say if the driver who was involved in the initial collision had left 20 minutes later, or stopped for a coffee en-route if the collision would have even happened. After all It was a single event that snowballed.

Quote:
However, it's difficult to say whether these changes would have made any difference of the morning of Sept. 3, 1999.

"Fog will always have an impact to drivers, so there is a need to be safe when you're driving," says Graham Harkness, noting their plans provide more space for drivers and will prevent most cross-median crashes. So far, statistics suggest something is working.
From this article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...-carnage-alley

Haljackey, n20 liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2335
sonysnob

Hwy 427, Toronto

Over the past few years, work has been ongoing to rehabilitate Hwy 427 in Toronto. Hwy 427 lies on the western leg of the city of Toronto and was generally widened to a twelve lane highway during the early 1970s.

Some photos:

1. Most freeways built during the 1960s and 1970s in Toronto looked very much like this. They were generally surfaced in concrete, featured steel barriers and were lit with conventional mast lighting. This photo dates from 2004.

2. In 2004, and 2005, MTO began a multi-year construction project to replace the central steel barrier with a concrete barrier, and upgrade the lighting from conventional mast to high mast.

3. Between 2007 and 2010, MTO proceeded to repair and rehabilitate both the southbound and northbound express lanes of the 427. By this time, the concrete driving surface was about 35 years old and had signs of wear. Slab replacements were made, and the concrete was overlaid with asphalt.

4. Construction was carefully staged. Notice the future overhead sign support footings that have been poured in the median. New signs won't be installed until the median between the collector and express lanes is replaced and modernized.

5. One of the features that sets the 427 apart from other GTA area freeways is its integration with the local road network. There are several similar slip ramps such as this one to Valhalla Road between the QEW and 401.

6. With work on the express lanes completed, work started to rehabilitate and resurface both the northbound and southbound collector lanes. This photo shows subsurface work beneath the core to collector median.

7. Here, a large rubber tired excavator places granular material in the space within the median between the northbound collector and express lanes. A rubber tire excavator is used here, as a steel track machine could damage the highway's pavement.

8. Somewhat unique to the 427 is this segmented pre-cast concrete barrier that has been placed between the southbound express and collector lanes. Typically, freeway barriers are cast in place.

Work to rehabilitate the 427 is ongoing as of this post, with the current collector lane contracts wrapping up in 2013 and 2014.

More info and photos:
Highway 427 Images

Highway 427 Rehabilitation Construction Focus Page

keokiracer, ChrisZwolle, n20, Jewish liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2336
Transportfan

Video of the new Highway 26 bypass in Ontario between Wasaga Beach and Collingwood.

sonysnob liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM   #2337
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Question: is there any plan to make route 11 connecting Saskatoon and Regina a highway?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2338
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Question: is there any plan to make route 11 connecting Saskatoon and Regina a highway?
Do you mean freeway/motorway/limited access highway??
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2339
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Do you mean freeway/motorway/limited access highway??
YEs.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2340
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
YEs.
It is already twinned all the way. I'm not sure if traffic levels justify full grade separation. What is the AADT there?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto