daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #2361
Transportfan

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is a interesting case in general in Canada. The middle parts of the southern provinces are usually among the northernmost areas that are somewhat developed, say between 49 and 55 N, comparable to the British isles, Benelux, Denmark, Northern Germany.

Scandinavia is developed much farther north. There are decent amounts of towns and cities, integrated road networks at a similar latitude as Northern Territories and Nunavut. Ontario and Québec are even more interesting because there are virtually no roads north of 49 N (Paris is at 48.5 N).

Apparently there was never a need to found towns and exploit natural resources that far north. Of course the climate is an issue, but that counts for Sweden and Finland as well.
The main reason N. ON is so underpoplated is because it's situated on the Canadian Shield and is not arable land, not climate. Alberta is settled and is just as far north. If there was no shield and the land was arable, N. ON would be populated.

As for northern Canada not being developed as much as Scandinavia and Russia is that Canada is a settler country, unlike Europe were the people have always lived there. People from milder climates are not too keen to settle in a cold climate.

n20 liked this post

Last edited by Transportfan; February 25th, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
Transportfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #2362
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 859

Exactly right.

The only reason Thunder Bay came about was due to being on the western most tip of Lake Superior which made perfect sense for rail transport from the West.

There is no reason why Canada needs a coast to coast freeway. The busiest parts are already freeways and areas with decent traffic levels suchas across the West are 4 lanes with freeway speeds because it can be more than 100km between stop signs/lights. There are many small highways and rural roads that access the TC and Yellowhead HWYs but not even enough traffic to warrant a stop light so building overpasses would be an obscene waste of money and wouldn't make a hoot of difference in either speed or safety.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #2363
kev_427
Average User

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The busiest parts are already freeways and areas with decent traffic levels suchas across the West are 4 lanes with freeway speeds
...except in BC.
kev_427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2364
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1039

Not sure If I posted, but that is the 404 NB.

YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #2365
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 862

Some new photos of the Hwy 7 flyover over the future lanes of the 407 east of Toronto:

More and larger:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_7...ing_images.htm
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:55 AM   #2366
Transportfan

Likes (Received): 7

Here's a must-see roadgeek video I shot of the 407 back in 1995 when it was under construction. Enjoy!

keokiracer, makaveli6, sonysnob liked this post
Transportfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2367
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
That is a interesting case in general in Canada. The middle parts of the southern provinces are usually among the northernmost areas that are somewhat developed, say between 49 and 55 N, comparable to the British isles, Benelux, Denmark, Northern Germany.

Scandinavia is developed much farther north. There are decent amounts of towns and cities, integrated road networks at a similar latitude as Northern Territories and Nunavut. Ontario and Québec are even more interesting because there are virtually no roads north of 49 N (Paris is at 48.5 N).
Scandinavia is also a lot warmer in average thanks to the gulf stream.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2368
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Why are Canadian roads not as good as Western European roads? In the US, the low taxes are one of the reasons, but what about Canada? Their taxes are almost as high as Europe and a lot of the roads are mediocre or just average. I drove around Vancouver area the other day and there were really bad sections with a lot of bumps and even potholes. I also drove on a very new road in North Vancouver (probably 1 year old), and there were bumps and low manhole covers! Also, every time I use Google street view, I notice a lot of the roads in Montreal are really bad too.

Last edited by Botev1912; March 28th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #2369
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Traffic volumes and revenue are the main issues I think. Remember roads are not federally funded here (but they do receive some funding on certain projects).

Sure taxes may be higher in Canada than the US, but each province has different funding allocations to roads. Take BC for example, road construction projects are expensive due to the mountainous terrain but there's relatively small population to get the money from. Thus you typically see spotty work.

In Quebec, many would say the highway system was overbuilt and now suffers from maintenance issues. There's also some corruption issues with public works contracts there so that doesn't help.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #2370
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I actually wondered that myself when I went there. I remember for the rural section of the 401 somewhere between Windsor and London there was asphalt paved over the concrete and asphalt patches over where the expansion joints are. Looked pretty crappy considering how nice and clean Canada is.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2371
Botev1912

Exactly. Everything else in Canada looks great, but the roads are ugly.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #2372
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Why are Canadian roads not as good as Western European roads? In the US, the low taxes are one of the reasons, but what about Canada? Their taxes are almost as high as Europe and a lot of the roads are mediocre or just average. I drove around Vancouver area the other day and there were really bad sections with a lot of bumps and even potholes. I also drove on a very new road in North Vancouver (probably 1 year old), and there were bumps and low manhole covers! Also, every time I use Google street view, I notice a lot of the roads in Montreal are really bad too.
Well Canada has a pretty small population and also has one of the largest roadway networks in the road because of it's large land area, so what limited funds it is able to gain to repair and maintain the roadways gets spread around the entire country as a result maintenance gets to be spotty as a result.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2373
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Highway 3, Windsor, Ontario

A 3 kilometer extension of Highway 3 opened to traffic yesterday. It appears to be an extension of Highway 401, but it doesn't look like it's a freeway. Maybe they realigned Highway 3 to make space for a new freeway that will connect to the planned bridge to Detroit.

http://www.windsorstar.com/Highway+e...851/story.html
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2374
sonysnob

Quote:
A 3 kilometer extension of Highway 3 opened to traffic yesterday. It appears to be an extension of Highway 401, but it doesn't look like it's a freeway. Maybe they realigned Highway 3 to make space for a new freeway that will connect to the planned bridge to Detroit.

http://www.windsorstar.com/Highway+e...851/story.html
You are correct. This is a realignment of Hwy 3, and not part of the 401. The 401 will be built underneath the former alignment of Hwy 3, so they needed to open the new section of Hwy 3 before they can start working on that particular new section of the 401.
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2375
Jewish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2320

Nice roads, Canada, you have!!!
Jewish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2376
Botev1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish View Post
Nice roads, Canada, you have!!!
compared to Ukraine and Serbia yes, but otherwise no.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #2377
Jewish
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
compared to Ukraine and Serbia yes, but otherwise no.
i can't call it roads in ukraine
Jewish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2378
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I find that most 400-series freeways in Ontario are decently maintained - while there are occasionally bad sections, the quality is generally high and construction is always ongoing to repair winter damage (which can be annoying in itself, but is necessary).

On the other hand, many of the lesser provincial roads and urban roads range from mediocre to downright disastrous.

In Toronto in particular, there is the big issue with very sloppy repairs done by contractors when something under the roadway (pipes, cables) needs to be replaced - typically they open a small section of road, do the work, and then someone shovels some asphalt on top. The result is that even a nice recently-repaved road becomes full of bumps in just a few years. I saw examples like these recently on roads that have been completely repaved just a few years ago.

As was already mentioned, Montreal is a bad example since the freeways in Quebec are indeed in a pretty bad shape and suffer from maintenance issues. A good way to observe this is to drive on the 401 in Ontario eastbound - once you cross the border into Quebec, and the 401 becomes the A20, you almost immediately notice a very significant degradation in quality in most respects, from pavement quality to the length of acceleration/deceleration lanes.

I don't know about the roads in BC as I have not yet been to Western Canada. I have been to Seattle, and I must say that overall I was impressed with the roads there - especially the use of cat-eye reflectors, which is especially useful in heavy rain.

Jewish liked this post
TheCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2379
Botev1912

Highways in BC are generally smooth and better than what you described for Quebec, but still not as nice as Arizona, Florida, Hawaii or Spain only because they are very narrow with lack of shoulders.

Last edited by Botev1912; April 9th, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #2380
sonysnob

A small section of Hwy 28 is being realigned just east of Lakefield, ON. This realignment will eliminate the turn at Peterborough Road 29 (former Highway 28 South) and by-passes a fairly tight reversing curve. The new alignment is scheduled to be open by the fall.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto