daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #2401
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Two questions:

1) Where was that map published?

2) Do you have the full sized version of it?

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #2402
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Two questions:

1) Where was that map published?

2) Do you have the full sized version of it?
Had to dig around online to find it. I had just used the image from a Bradford realtor's site.

1) The map is part of a larger map of the Greater Golden Horseshoe produced by the Neptis Foundation and originally published in 2004. I can't after a cursory look find the original report though.

2) Here you go:

keokiracer, sonysnob, n20 liked this post
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2403
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Thanks for posting this great map.

Any word on the proposed highway following the northern shore of Lake Erie? Linking the Niagara Falls area to I think St. Thomas/London area. How far has this idea progressed? Anyone have any potential routes?
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #2404
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
Thanks for posting this great map.

Any word on the proposed highway following the northern shore of Lake Erie? Linking the Niagara Falls area to I think St. Thomas/London area. How far has this idea progressed? Anyone have any potential routes?
There aren't really any improvements scheduled for Highway 3 north of Lake Erie. During the 1970s, a by-pass was planned for Aylmer at least, but seeing as most traffic along the Hwy 3 corridor is local, nothing has ever come of it.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2405
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

There has been talk of a freeway running the highway #3 route for year but I don't see it proceeding. It is needed but there are just too many other big fish to fry.

If they build anything new in SW Ontario I think it will be a 403 western extension to head towards London and hook up with the 402 at Strathroy. This would greatly relieve the traffic on the very busy 401 section from London to Woodstock but would also give northern Londoners and alternative to the 401.

Northern London is the fastest and most prosperous part of the city but to get to the 401 easily takes over half an hour to 45 minutes in rush hour. You are going southbound to meet up with a freeway that is heading Northeast. London has no urban freeways so it is a painful experience. Many people in the northern London going to Toronto actually take highway 4 North to Lucan and then head to Kitchener via Stratford. It is about the same amount of travel time but a far more relaxing drive. In rush hour it can actually be faster than heading down to the 401.

There is also the matter of the massive amount of transport traffic on the 401 and the road is already planned to be widened yet again to 4 lanes in easch direction which will be a very costly affair. Unlike the widening to 6 lanes, 8 lanes will require a massive reconfiguration of all the overpasses.

The 402 was never suppose to take the route it did but rather continue east past Strathroy to about one km north of London but the wealthy northern Londoners {lead by Labatt family} pulled their political strings and you have what you do today.

By building a northern route it would save the province having to 8 lane to London to Woodstock/403 section and provide much needed freeway access to northern London. Many don't realize how busy the 402 has become. 45% of the westbound traffic east of London exits at the 402 including 40% of the transport traffic.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Why are these freeways in Kitchener not part of the 400-series?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2407
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

Basically the province designate a freeway a 400 series if it was designed to be a freeway from start to finish and not part of an already built highway.

The Conestoga Expressway in Kitchener/Waterloo is actually 3 different highways. 7/8 in the west, 7/85 in the central and 85 in the north. 8 continues to Hamilton. 7 goes to Guelph and 85 goes north to St. Jacobs.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #2408
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I never knew that about the 400 series as I've often wondered that myself.......interesting.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:53 AM   #2409
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Arent they municipally owned as well? Sort of how the DVP, Gardiner, and Licoln Alexander parkways are not 400 series highways. Then there is also the oddity of the QEW.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #2410
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
It is already twinned all the way. I'm not sure if traffic levels justify full grade separation. What is the AADT there?
I drove Highway the length of Highway 11 four years ago and I don't recall it being twinned all the way. Between Thunder Bay and Hearst you could pretty much read a book and stay on cruise control as you can go 30 minutes without seeing another vehicle. The towns are each spaced a good 100-200 KMs apart
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2411
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Arent they municipally owned as well? Sort of how the DVP, Gardiner, and Licoln Alexander parkways are not 400 series highways. Then there is also the oddity of the QEW.
No. Conestoga is still a provincial highway, similar to sections of highway 11 and 17 around Sudbury. QEW is also known as 451, but that is only used for administrative purposes.
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2412
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

My idea for some sort of Highway 7/Halton-Peel Freeway/Bradford Bypass highway for the Toronto Area:

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/FGj4KHF.jpg

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2413
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19163

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeavis View Post
I drove Highway the length of Highway 11 four years ago and I don't recall it being twinned all the way. Between Thunder Bay and Hearst you could pretty much read a book and stay on cruise control as you can go 30 minutes without seeing another vehicle. The towns are each spaced a good 100-200 KMs apart
But it is twinned between Saskatoon and Regina. I was answering question about that stretch.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2414
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
My idea for some sort of Highway 7/Halton-Peel Freeway/Bradford Bypass highway for the Toronto Area:

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/FGj4KHF.jpg
That was one of the options for the gta west corridor. Now they have gotten rid of the direct route from Brampton to Guelph, and instead the main option is to loop around Brampton and met up with the 401 just west of the 407.

www.gta-west.com
Old April 26th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2415
Haljackey

I made a recreation of the 401/403/410 interchange near Toronto in SimCity 4. Hope you like it!

Direct link: http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Halja.../401403410.jpg

My Simcity Stuff
Old April 27th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #2416
NYCrusader
S11-A2-S3-A4-A8-S8

Likes (Received): 3

Ahh SimCity.. I really like this wonderful game.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2417
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
Basically the province designate a freeway a 400 series if it was designed to be a freeway from start to finish and not part of an already built highway.

The Conestoga Expressway in Kitchener/Waterloo is actually 3 different highways. 7/8 in the west, 7/85 in the central and 85 in the north. 8 continues to Hamilton. 7 goes to Guelph and 85 goes north to St. Jacobs.
Due to the branching nature of the expressways in Kitchener-Waterloo, if the Conestoga were ever upgraded to a 400-series ŕ la 16 > 416 there'd be the problem of what to call it.

The 407 is already take. The 403 would have made more sense, even in its original intended configuration (using what is now the 407 between Burlington and Mississauga) as the 405. The 405 in Niagara should have been the 408 following the original Hwy. 8 which disappeared at the Niagara Region border long before provincial downloading. The 406 is at odds since Hwy. 6 never came close to the Welland Canal, but I guess they were trying to be roughly sequential.

From another viewpoint, once the decision to allocate the original 403's routing to the 407, they should simply have renumbered the Mississauga section as an extension of the 410. It makes for some strange nomenclature with the "southbound" 410 running west across the city. But no more so than having two disjointed segments of 403. Even if they duplexed it with the QEW in between.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2418
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Haljackey, what tree mod is that?

Looking to re-install that game, a fresh start, with much less plugins so it runs better, but I want quality ones!
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2419
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
they should simply have renumbered the Mississauga section as an extension of the 410. It makes for some strange nomenclature with the "southbound" 410 running west across the city. But no more so than having two disjointed segments of 403. Even if they duplexed it with the QEW in between.
There was a petition to renumber the section of the 403 between the QEW and 401 as 410, but it was defeated as people were used to the 403 number. If this happened, the 403 would only exist from the 401 to QEW, not cosigned with it to the 403 split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
Haljackey, what tree mod is that?
Birch trees I think, not sure as I have a lot of tree mods lol

My Simcity Stuff
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #2420
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
There was a petition to renumber the section of the 403 between the QEW and 401 as 410, but it was defeated as people were used to the 403 number. If this happened, the 403 would only exist from the 401 to QEW, not cosigned with it to the 403 split.
Numbering the Mississauga leg of the 403 as Hwy 410 was considered, but I don't think there was ever a petition launched to make this happen.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto