daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2441
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Does anyone have any idea how many trucks drive the stretch in the video above per day?
I have the same question. I can't believe that these number of trucks should be the highest in the world. Was the video made on sunday?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #2442
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Traffic volumes are measured as a whole here, not by type (car, truck, etc.)

"The Post Carbon Highway" has a map showing comparative truck volumes in North America, with the 401 having highest volume by far. The report also outlines a plan to make the 401 a multi-modal green highway with parallel high speed rail and energy generation. http://www.rvtr.com/files/abcfuelpch2008velikovthun.pdf

There is also a reference for it on the 401 Wikipedia article, but sadly it 404s for me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway...e_ref-MFP_10-1

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; June 10th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2443
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Toronto has huge industrial / commercial areas in its suburbs, especially around YYZ, there is a 30 kilometer long industrial area.

If you look at that PDF, it appears that the 401 has a fairly constant volume of trucks between Windsor and the GTA. However, overall volumes between Windsor and London are only 20 000 - 30 000 vehicles per day, not all of those are trucks (a 50% share would be extremely high).

Personally I think that map is more guesswork than actual counts, it would be much more logical to have much more trucks within the GTA than at the Windsor - London corridor.

The highest truck counts that I am aware of occur in the Los Angeles area, especially the I-710 has volumes up to 35 000 - 40 000 trucks per day. Similarly, I-80 south of Chicago also has very high trucking volumes.

Remember that at over 20 000 trucks per day, the right lane becomes almost unused by other traffic. At 30 000 - 35 000 trucks, it's a virtual convoy of trucks, making exits hard to get to, you have to find a gap in a "wall of trucks".
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #2444
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Yeah, that's a pie in the sky idea probably put together by a grad student (that is not sourced at that). While neat (and well put together), this isn't the type of document that carries a lot of weight. I doubt the 401 carries a significantly higher truck volume than say I-75 through southern Michigan or Ohio, for example.

MichiH liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2445
Haljackey

One more timelapse driving video: This time continuing on the 401 from Highway 403 to Highway 8 and into Kitchener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBVxgokQPk

Skip to 5:30 if you just want to see the Kitchener part.

The lack of a flyover ramp from 401 eastbound to 8 northbound is a real pain. Its not like the 8 can't handle the extra traffic now that it is 8 lanes.

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; June 10th, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 12th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2446
Haljackey

Footage from a bus showing the Hurontario-401 widening

It's shaky, but shows the project in pretty decent detail.

My Simcity Stuff
Old June 13th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #2447
sonysnob

I uploaded a few new pictures of the most recently completed section of Hwy 69 south of Sudbury tonight:

The whole collection (and some new photos from the two lane sections of highway) are available here:
http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_60-69..._p4_images.htm

ChrisZwolle, NFZANMNIM, n20, geometarkv liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #2448
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice shots! The lower two photos look like they could have been taken in Finland or Sweden, landscape-wise.
Old June 13th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2449
Transportfan

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by divide by zero View Post
Exactly. Canada is very decentralized, not just WRT highways but also health care and education.
With the major exception of the criminal justice system and the existence of the RCMP. I'll never understand why the RCMP was reinstated after being initially disbanded.

Quote:
The TCH is really a collection of provincial highways.
Out west though, the TCH could be said to be a de facto federal highway with the coordinated signage.
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2450
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

I dunno, in Ontario and Quebec, the RCMP doesnt do much, it is mostly done by the OPP in Ontario and Sûreté Québec in Quebec. And there is this film called Bon Cop, Bad Cop which is about the interactions between a Quebecois police officer from le SQ and an Ontarian police officer from the OPP.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #2451
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
I dunno, in Ontario and Quebec, the RCMP doesnt do much, it is mostly done by the OPP in Ontario and Sûreté Québec in Quebec. And there is this film called Bon Cop, Bad Cop which is about the interactions between a Quebecois police officer from le SQ and an Ontarian police officer from the OPP.
Just to add to the segue, Newfoundland & Labrador also have their own provincial police force, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. The RNC however predominantly serves the larger communities in the province. The RCMP serves the remainder of the province.

The same setup happens in Ontario, where if there is no local police service (municipal or regional) then the OPP provides the service.

The only places you'll find the RCMP in Ontario and Québec are in areas under Federal jurisdiction - federal government facilities/offices, airport, etc. It's just that you won't really see them in their red dress uniforms while at work, which seems to disappoint tourists to Toronto or Montréal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transportfan View Post
With the major exception of the criminal justice system and the existence of the RCMP. I'll never understand why the RCMP was reinstated after being initially disbanded.

Out west though, the TCH could be said to be a de facto federal highway with the coordinated signage.
Through Québec and Ontario where there are multiple routings of the TCH it is co-signed with the provincial highway sign. In Ontario for example you'll see the King's Highway Shield with highway number along side the TCH signage.

From Manitoba to the Pacific the numbering is consistent with the 1 to Victoria and the 16 on the Yellowhead to Prince Rupert
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #2452
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Serious work on the 407 extension east of Toronto has finally begun.. houses are being ripped down, trees cut, and bypasses begun.

As to touch on the federalism that Canada is, many claim that it is the most decentralized country on the planet. The only thing the Feds really do is manage the justice system, military, mandate (But don't manage) free healthcare, fund some large infrastructure projects, and manage equalization payments. (which are essentially taxes collected from the wealthier provinces and given to the poorer ones to ensure the poor provinces don't fall apart)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #2453
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

And Quebec polititians say that the Federal government already has too much power and try to limit that. I am not saying that they are right or wrong, they might be right considering quebec's situation and/or a bit selfish
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2454
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
As to touch on the federalism that Canada is, many claim that it is the most decentralized country on the planet. The only thing the Feds really do is manage the justice system, military, mandate (But don't manage) free healthcare, fund some large infrastructure projects, and manage equalization payments. (which are essentially taxes collected from the wealthier provinces and given to the poorer ones to ensure the poor provinces don't fall apart)
Interesting... Maybe it might be the most decentralized developed nation

Speaking of federal works, the Windsor-Essex Parkway construction is progressing nicely, possibly better than the 407E.

pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/
SSP post: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...13#post6148313

Windsor was hit hard during the 2008 recession so this 401 extension project is a serious boost to the city as it's providing much-needed jobs (at least until it's done lol).

My Simcity Stuff
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #2455
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

well luckily the bridge will probably start construction just as the highway finishes up so that should help as well.
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #2456
sonysnob

A new video of Hwy 404 from Toronto northerly:

Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:19 AM   #2457
Haljackey

Was flying across the country earlier this week. Managed to take a few photos from the flights including these:

Conestoga Parkway (Highway 7, 8 and 85) in Kitchener-Waterloo

Highway 401 in Halton Hills

Highway 401 and Hurontario Street in Mississauga

Highway 401 and 410 in Mississauga

Highway 401 and 403 in Mississauga

Perimeter Highway (Trans-Canada 100) in Winnipeg

Perimeter Highway (Trans-Canada 100) in Winnipeg

Queen Elizabeth (Alberta-2) Highway in Edmonton

My Simcity Stuff

keokiracer, n20, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Haljackey; June 22nd, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old June 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #2458
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

great pics! I am quite interested by Winnipeg's ring road, as they didn't go for a full grade separated interstate like you would expect. anyone know why? the small intersections on it seem to defeat most of the purpose.
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2459
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
great pics! I am quite interested by Winnipeg's ring road, as they didn't go for a full grade separated interstate like you would expect. anyone know why? the small intersections on it seem to defeat most of the purpose.
I think it's because traffic volumes simply are not high enough to justify a grade-separated ring road around the city. I think all or nearly all major intersections are interchanges, but side roads access the route at-grade.

Canada's first grade-separated ring road will encompass Edmonton. Calgary is also nearing completion of it's ring road, and I believe Saskatoon and Regina have plans in the works to finish theirs as well.

I doubt it but one day London may get a ring road as there seems to be plenty of public support for it to be included in the city's next transportation master plan.

My Simcity Stuff
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2460
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2012 traffic volumes of Winnipeg:

But what the heck is this?

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto