daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2521
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

The Province of BC just announced a replacement for the George Massey Tunnel to start in 2017... with... you guessed it, another cable-stayed bridge. Vancouver seems to have a marriage with utilitarian bridges.

suburbicide, keokiracer liked this post
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:14 PM   #2522
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Wow, 10 lanes no less. That is a huge improvement in this area.

Vancouver doesn't have too many freeways, and the ones that do exist do not always have sufficient capacity.

For example if you want to get from Highway 1 coming from the Iron Workers Bridge to the Airport, you need to cross 40 traffic signals. The South Fraser Perimeter Road will improve east-west traffic somewhat, you can bypass Surrey when coming from Highway 1 and going to the Airport.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2523
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Seems to be a lot of new stuff around Montreal lately (I've been playing with maps because I'm going to Quebec late this week. :-) )

EDIT: But is there really an Autoroute 125 (as CAA/AAA maps show)? Doesn't fit the existing numbering scheme....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; September 22nd, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:24 PM   #2524
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
For example if you want to get from Highway 1 coming from the Iron Workers Bridge to the Airport, you need to cross 40 traffic signals. The South Fraser Perimeter Road will improve east-west traffic somewhat, you can bypass Surrey when coming from Highway 1 and going to the Airport.
I drove on Highway 99 b/n downtown and the airport a couple of weeks ago. It was no big deal.

But I also think a connection b/n Highway 1 and Highway 99 is missing.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2525
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I don't follow where exactly that bridge is going to be. I don't see any local interchanges that I recognize. I could figure out where River Road or the SFPH was.

Anyway this news will not exactly be "embarrased" by the public it's suppose to serve. The vid looks good and no doubt there will be political speeches and ribbon cuttings to keep any politician happy but the politicians will quickly disappear when the tolls start being applied which is usually just a week after the ribbon cutting.

It is certainly needed as right now in rush hour you have 5 lanes merging into 1 northbound and the wait is endless. This will, however, with the rebuilding of the Pattula Bridge in New Westminster {which will also be tolled} leave just one untolled bridge connecting the million people south of the Fraser River to the rest of Metro without a toll.

In short, people are going to be very pissed considering that just 5 years ago there were no tolls on any of the bridges. This is made worse by the fact that transit in this area is inadequate.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2526
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The bridge will also feature HOV lanes.

I have yet to find the first person who likes paying tolls, but it's inevitable sometimes due to political circumstances.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:24 AM   #2527
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I don't follow where exactly that bridge is going to be. I don't see any local interchanges that I recognize. I could figure out where River Road or the SFPH was.
It's right above the Massey Tunnel: literally right above it. Keep in mind these are all very preliminary renderings and that engineering planning doesn't start until next year.

10 Lanes is quite a significant increase compared to the existing corridor and I actually think this one might be too much especially since the existing 99 Corridor is only 6-7 lanes at its maximum. Outside of peak hours, traffic is pretty smooth on the 99 (whereas for Hwy 1 it's pretty busy throughout).
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:49 AM   #2528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 1 serves a much more contiguous urban area. Do they expect to develop the area around Highway 99?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2529
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Highway 1 serves a much more contiguous urban area. Do they expect to develop the area around Highway 99?
Hwy 99 is the major route between Vancouver, Canada and the border @ Blaine. As well, many people commute to/from the Cities of White Rock, Ladner Langley and the southern part of Surrey. Due to the growing population, the is development going on, or there soon will be.

The Hwy 1 corridor has been undergoing improvements for several yeas now to add capacity. The most prominent feature is of course, the new Port Mann Bridge and totally rebuilt Cape Horn Interchange.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2530
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Vancouver doesn't have too many freeways, and the ones that do exist do not always have sufficient capacity.
This is true for most cities in Canada. Not many freeways, but usually the ones that are around get the job done. The Vancouver area has some serious capacity issues but there are serious upgrades planned or underway.

Interesting article about Winnipeg and the pros and cons of not building freeways for that city: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...224751502.html

My hometown (London, Ontario) may have a local freeway by the mid 2070's. (401 and 402 are within the city limits but bypass the city itself.)

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Winnipeg has a complete beltway, which reduces through traffic in the city (particularly trucks). Furthermore, its population growth has been relatively slow compared to cities like Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto, so its traffic issues are managable. I don't see any useful corridors to turn into freeways, although they always can construct some dive-unders at busy intersections.
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2532
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

The Massey tunnel also is the connection for Vancouver and the ferry to Victoria and the Island.

As far as tolls go, I don't think people mind paying tolls for NEW infrastructure but when it is just an upgrade to the infrastructure that was already there but the province let rot for 40 years is when people get pissed.

Also people South of Fraser suffer from poor transit and people from WR/SS/Lad actually have a longer and more uncomfortable commute than they did before the Canada Line. It use to be one highway bus right downtown but now you have to go to Bridgeport and transfer. That is a way off the freeway and the trains are so small that your seat from Richmond to Downtown you use to have is now a standing room only train till at least Broadway.

Everyone down here HATES the Canada Line.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #2533
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Getting OT, but... I have never ridden a skytrain, but I am always surprised at how short the trains are when I see photos.
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2534
Haljackey

I made a timelapse drive into downtown Toronto on the Gardiner Expressway

My Simcity Stuff

MichiH, Innsertnamehere liked this post
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2535
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Calgary

Southeast ring road opening delayed

The southeast portion of Calgary’s ring road will not be ready to open on Tuesday as planned.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ayed-1.1873278

It doesn't seem to be a very serious delay though, if the only reason is a safety audit report.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:38 AM   #2536
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

nice video haljackey! I presume it is a continuation of the one you posted of the 401/427?
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2537
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Please delete - somehow made the same post twice....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2538
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Reports in Montreal media Monday (I was there) on the replacement of the Champlain Bridge (autoroutes 10/15/20). Didn't pay a lot of attention - perhaps an agreement was finalized? Talk of a PPP and a $7.00 toll, speculation that that will just push traffic to free crossings. TV report also said the bridge was deteriorating and showed pictures of supports that I suppose we were supposed to find disturbing (I'd crossed the thing myself, Friday). Not designed for the loads it bears - lots of trucks, traffic routinely jammed....

I think the newspaper article I saw was in Monday's La Presse; TV report was on Monday evening's news on Global Montreal (an English-language channel).

There. Made my on-topic contribution to the forum this trip. :-) Especially since I'm not taking pics.

Also, I had no idea Quebec autoroutes have service areas. (Remember, I'm used to Interstates, so I associate them with toll roads and Europe.) I knew the 401 did. Drove Autoroute 40 from Montreal to Quebec City yesterday.

That's it for now.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:42 PM   #2539
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
nice video haljackey! I presume it is a continuation of the one you posted of the 401/427?
Yes it is. I didn't want to flood/spam this thread so I only posted one.

On the way back, I did make a night drive on North America's busiest highway

I've done a similar video in the past, but was testing out how my new camera performed at night. Also tried a zoom test at the beginning.

My Simcity Stuff
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:39 AM   #2540
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Drove Quebec's highest-numbered autoroute - 973 - late this afternoon. I believe* I read somewhere (Wikipedia perhaps) last week that it's not signed as such. But it is.

*Not taking the time to verify now: off to dinner.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto