daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Highway 17, South Fraser Perimeter Road, Vancouver, BC

South Fraser Perimeter Road, B.C.'s newest highway, opens

Today, the Honourable Kerry-Lynne Findlay, Member of Parliament for Delta-Richmond East and Minister of National Revenue along with B.C.'s Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone officially opened B.C.'s newest highway - the South Fraser Perimeter Road (SFPR).

The new four-lane highway is a key piece of B.C.'s transportation network, which will strengthen the province's economy and make travelling and commuting quicker and easier.

SFPR connects to all five major Fraser River crossings, which will save motorists time and offer more travel options. As an example, travel time between Highway 1 and the Tsawwassen ferry terminal is now less than 30 minutes, compared with travel times of double that using Highway 10.

The SFPR is a key piece of B.C.'s transportation network, which will generate economic growth and make the province more competitive by connecting key port, rail and highway infrastructure. The SFPR is officially Highway 17. The old Highway 17 through Delta is now 17A.

The SFPR is a four-lane highway, about 37 kilometres long, along the south side of the Fraser River. The 80-kilometre-per-hour route will extend from Deltaport Way in Southwest Delta to 176th Street (Highway 15) in Surrey, with connections to Highways 1, 91 and 99.
map:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #2582
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Cool video of A720 and others in Montreal

My Simcity Stuff

Ukraine liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #2583
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Nice video. The interchange in the intro (say 20 sec) is infamous Turcot Interchange, in strong danger of falling down. The ramp of 15-S -> 720 E (and its opposite) had the entire layer of asphalt scarified off last year (as if preparing for fresh pavement, but no pavement), you can see the grooved straight concrete there, it is rather bumpy and a little spooky at the 90 -> 100 km/h traffic that takes the ramp.

The straight ramp, 15-S -> 15 S, is somewhat spectacular, it goes very high overhead at the interchange, but has been narrowed from 2 lanes to 1 to reduce weight on the ramp as it is also in extremely risky condition.

Maintenance is constant at the interchange and I think the last spend is about $100 M in a year simply for monitoring and trying to keep it standing. There is a project to replace, but it is becoming seriously boon-doggled including the corruption scandal currently ongoing in the province, after spending some years being opposed by ecofacist types.

The Laurentian Interchange (Metropolian / Laurentian (15)) at the end was just heavily re-worked, opening in current state in summer 2012. From opening in 1959 to 2012, the 40 E/15N -> 15 N ramp was a single exit on the left. It has been moved to a gentler larger ramp on the right side, to reduce weaving from the Decarie traffic continuing north. Traffic operations in the area are horrible however. There is a similar near-term plan to reconfigure the Decarie Interchange to put the 40W / 15S ramp on the right side as well, as opposed to a left exit currently. Curiously, the Turcot interchange, to be built in a closed rail yard below a cliff, had massive local (but not closer than some km) opposition, while the reconfigurations at Decarie and Laurentian have passed very quietly, despite those areas being highly densely developed with commercial and residential development (but... the residents are wealthier than those in the Turcot area)

Also, the A-720 is planned to be deleted during the Turcot reconstruction, replaced by "Route 136", to permit lower design standards. A-720 has terrible design standard so it is wondering what this will mean. I imagine the road standard will remain approximately the same, but that R-136 will continue along Notre-Dame St and Souligny Ave to the A-25 interchange.

Last edited by Kanadzie; January 9th, 2014 at 05:37 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #2584
ChrisZwolle
Road user

South Fraser Perimeter Road

The South Fraser Perimeter Road (SFPR) in suburban Vancouver.

image hosted on flickr

SFPR: Tannery Road Interchange by TranBC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SFPR: Highway 99 Interchange by TranBC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

SFPR: Heading West by TranBC, on Flickr
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #2585
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

why are the surroundings so ugly?
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #2586
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Why is Plovdiv so ugly??

[img]http://i42.************/2r7q2yo.png[/img]
[img]http://i42.************/9irb0j.png[/img]
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #2587
Kanadzie

Answer? 'Cause it is winter and the winter is too warm for snow there (in both cases it seems)
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #2588
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Like Chris said, it's the time of year when the pics were taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Why is Plovdiv so ugly??

[img]http://i42.************/2r7q2yo.png[/img]
[img]http://i42.************/9irb0j.png[/img]
That neighborhood doesn't look too bad, actually. Obviously, it's an older one, but still, unless it's a part of Plovdiv that has a very high crime and/or drug use activity area, I would consider living in that area if for some reason I chose to move there.
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #2589
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
That neighborhood doesn't look too bad, actually. Obviously, it's an older one, but still, unless it's a part of Plovdiv that has a very high crime and/or drug use activity area, I would consider living in that area if for some reason I chose to move there.
What, live in a panelak? Nobody wants to live in a panelak

Mind you, for price of the smallest 1950's shack house in Kamloops, you could probably buy three or four entire such panelaky, maybe all the ones you see in that picture, could be interesting
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #2590
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Why is Plovdiv so ugly??
Plovdiv is not Vancouver and Bulgaria is not Canada. More questions?

Mateusz liked this post
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #2591
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19113

Come on guys, this discussion is going dangerously OT and even worse, becomes country vs country.

The South Fraser Perimeter Road goes through industrial wastelands and landscapes like that exist in any country in the world. I
Well, maybe with exception of, let say, Switzerland or Norway but I'm sure even there if we look for it we will find it.

Any other significant road projects going on in Vancouver at the moment?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #2592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The industrial landscape was the primary reason why the South Fraser Perimeter Road was built.

Quote:
Any other significant road projects going on in Vancouver at the moment?
The Gateway Program seems to be finished. Several bridges were built and Highway 1 was widened.

The next major project is the replacement of the 4-lane George Massey Tunnel by a 10-lane cable-stayed bridge.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #2593
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The industrial landscape was the primary reason why the South Fraser Perimeter Road was built.

The Gateway Program seems to be finished. Several bridges were built and Highway 1 was widened.

The next major project is the replacement of the 4-lane George Massey Tunnel by a 10-lane cable-stayed bridge.
It is really impressive they have been able to do these projects. Vancouver is ground zero for anti-car zealots in all America. But the traffic flow there, is so bad...

Other Canadian road news, in Montreal, piece of overpass fell off and smashed some cars driving on freeway underneath, normal day

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...pass-1.2494750

this article is better but in French, in video the journalist grills the poor PR lady of transport ministry
http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/arc...13-122930.html
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2594
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Vancouver is a good example of a large North American city with a dysfunctional road system. I'm sure the delays have a negative effect on the local economy.

Montreal is a good example of a large North American city with a overbuilt road system. I'm sure neglected maintenance work has a negative effect on the local economy.

-----

There are some mid-sized Canadian cities that are finding a good balance. Edmonton is completing the last chunk of their ring road, Hamilton's municipal expressways are an alternative to the provincial freeways (and also form a circle around the central city) and Quebec City and Halifax have good systems as well.

Calgary is working to expand their network and so are Regina and Saskatoon. Toronto is extending their toll highway to the east to take some stress off the 401 and has a 427 extension planned. Ottawa did have a bypass in the works but I am not sure what has happened to it. Kitchener-Waterloo has a decent system and a new freeway is planned to link it with Guelph. Windsor's 401 extension to the US Border will link up with their municipal expressway. Vancouver is tackling expansion in a way unlike ever before, likely kicked off by infrastructure investments for the 2010 Olympics. Montreal is trying to get it's act together.

Cities that fall off the radar are Winnipeg and my home town of London.

Did I leave anything out?

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; January 14th, 2014 at 05:25 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #2595
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Vancouver is trying to play catch up but these latest expansions still leaves it with, by far, the worse highway system of Canada's big 6 cities.

Even the SFPR is just a four lane road not a freeway but Vancouver that's considered a huge leap forward.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2596
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Vancouver is a good example of a large North American city with a dysfunctional road system. I'm sure the delays have a negative effect on the local economy.

Montreal is a good example of a large North American city with a overbuilt road system. I'm sure neglected maintenance work has a negative effect on the local economy.

-----

There are some mid-sized Canadian cities that are finding a good balance. Edmonton is completing the last chunk of their ring road, Hamilton's municipal expressways are an alternative to the provincial freeways (and also form a circle around the central city) and Quebec City and Halifax have good systems as well.

Calgary is working to expand their network and so are Regina and Saskatoon. Toronto is extending their toll highway to the east to take some stress off the 401 and has a 427 extension planned. Ottawa did have a bypass in the works but I am not sure what has happened to it. Kitchener-Waterloo has a decent system and a new freeway is planned to link it with Guelph. Windsor's 401 extension to the US Border will link up with their municipal expressway. Vancouver is tackling expansion in a way unlike ever before, likely kicked off by infrastructure investments for the 2010 Olympics. Montreal is trying to get it's act together.

Cities that fall off the radar are Winnipeg and my home town of London.

Did I leave anything out?
Is Quebec City any less overbuilt than Montreal, or are its autoroutes just newer? Or better-maintained? They've both got fairly dense systems and when you consider the cities' relative size....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Vancouver is the most congested city in North America, with the highest TTI.

Montréal on the other hand, has a very dense network, but it is dated and in substandard condition. Toronto has fewer, but very wide freeways.

These three cities have completely different settings. Vancouver is located in a river delta. Toronto had nearly no limitations to expand, while Montréal has to cope with being on islands in the St. Lawrence River. Large urban areas that are located near major water bodies have their weakest links in the river crossings, be it Vancouver, Montréal, San Francisco, Hampton Roads or New York.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #2598
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is Quebec City any less overbuilt than Montreal, or are its autoroutes just newer? Or better-maintained? They've both got fairly dense systems and when you consider the cities' relative size....
I think Quebec City freeways are about 10 years newer, and much more capacity for the traffic, so we only need to wait 10 years

Montreal major problem is most freeways are not built to the network plan. You end up with for example Hwy 20 turning into a surface street east of downtown, Hwy 440 not touching Hwy 40 at any place, Hwy 640 not crossing the water and meeting with Hwy 40 in the west, Hwy 19 barely existing and cross-island route definitively buried, etc And then there is the Metropolitan
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #2599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Conception Bay South, NL

Conception Bay South Bypass Extension Officially Opens Today

With construction now complete, the Honourable Nick McGrath, Minister of Transportation and Works, cut the ribbon and officially opened the Conception Bay South (CBS) Bypass extension today.

The $25.3 million project spans from Legion Road to Seal Cove representing a total distance of 5.6 kilometres. The Provincial Government contributed $18.8 million and the Government of Canada contributed $6.5 million through the Canada Strategic Infrastructure Fund.
Full press release: http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...tw/0115n01.htm
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #2600
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Hal, You missed the 404 extension that opens in August, it runs up 15km or so to Keswick.

Vancouver has invested heavily in transit to try and offset the traffic problems, but the complete lack of highways has created problems. It does have the advantage of a fairly tight concession system however, around 800x900 meters. For comparison Toronto's concessions are 2.1km x 2.1km, and Montreal has no concession system. This allows for a higher local road capacity than Toronto as it has roughly twice as many arterial roads serving the same area, with similar suburban densities.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto