daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #2601
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I think I know what you mean by concession, but I doubt most non-Canadians would.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2602
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Concession roads form the grid network of streets / roads laid out in the 19th century to develop rural areas. They were "conceded" by the British Crown. They are most common in southern Ontario.

Their appearance is rather similar to the grid network in the Great Plains and the Prairie Provinces.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #2603
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I think "concession" is only spoken of in Ontario, in Prairies they would say township or range road...

in Quebec mostly followed French system, roads perpendicular or parallel to the river with varying spacing. It is why you get this strange situation where even motorways are at right angles, signed north/south or east/west, but actually are not matching their signs as the river curves around Montreal.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2604
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

Early Morning Summer Commute, Highway 401 by John Tavares Jr, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ukraine, lafreak84, verreme, sonysnob liked this post
Old January 25th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #2605
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

A new highway opened in the Vancouver area. South Frasier Perimeter Road. Uses a mix of interchanges and intersections.

My Simcity Stuff

gogu.ca liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #2606
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Cool vid.

It really is absurd that they didn't make the entire thing freeway from Twas all the way to Maple Ridge.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 09:40 PM   #2607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 4, Northwest Territories

New Highway 4 access to open Friday

Effective at noon on Friday, January 31, 2014, drivers will access the Ingraham Trail on the newly constructed Highway 4 alignment road. The nearly six kilometres of new road will provide travellers with a safer, more comfortable driving experience.

The route for the new roadway was chosen after extensive consultations and the requirements of the Giant Mine remediation project were taken fully into account. The design/build contract for the construction was undertaken by Det’on Cho Corporation. Future work which remains, including roadway widening of the last 1.5 kilometres of old alignment to the Yellowknife River and chip sealing of the road surface, will be completed during the summer 2014 construction season.
Full press release: http://news.exec.gov.nt.ca/new-highw...o-open-friday/
Old February 1st, 2014, 11:58 PM   #2608
Haljackey

Project announced to extend the Mavis Road 401 overpass and add the two missing links to the 401/403/410 interchange: http://www.401expansion-mississauga....79%20FINAL.pdf

This will prepare the 401 for ultimate widening through Mississauga, whatever that means.

Pic from the document:

My Simcity Stuff
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:52 AM   #2609
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

You gotta love how dated that map is! Probably close to 10 years if not longer based on the road network depicted. Cortneypark is still incomplete and the rest of the neighbourhood south and west of Terry Fox and Matheson are missing.

You'd think they'd use a map that reflected the work that's already been completed with the extension of the Collector/Express lanes to Hurontario and the rebuilding of the Hurontario interchange.

Any updates on the off-ramp to Whittle/Britannia from Hurontario? I'm curious as to how trucks will be able to handle the traffic circle they have envisioned. It'd have to be a fairly large one, but the entire tract of land between Britannia, Whittle, 401 and Hurontario save the Petro-Canada gas station is vacant. They could probably realign Britannia and Whittle to get a traffic circle into it if they needed to.

I'm more interested in the traffic circle as a means of easily making a U-turn to get onto Hurontario. The left-turn signal can't cope with the traffic demands at times for people heading north onto Hurontario. The proximity to the 410 (and soon to be 403) on-ramps probably preclude an on-ramp being built at Whittle.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #2610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Right Honourable Herb Gray Parkway

December 2013 aerial photos of the Highway 401 extension (The Right Honourable Herb Gray Parkway) in Windsor, Ontario.

image hosted on flickr

Aerial Photos December 2013 by Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

lafreak84, Haljackey liked this post
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #2611
Haljackey

Preliminary Report on Future of the East Gardiner Released

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/02/...diner-released

Maintain

Improve

Replace

Demolish

Gotta say I like the 4-lane single support design.

My Simcity Stuff
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #2612
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Gotta say I like the 4-lane single support design.
But you sure will hate driving on it!

I am not sure what is worse, all the Gardiner proposals or naming a road for Herb Gray
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #2613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

4 lanes is not sufficient for the current AADT of 110,000 vehicles. It would be congested most of the day and will also lead to more congestion further west because it becomes a bottleneck.

Replacing it with a surface street doesn't make any sense. It would increase, not decrease the barrier, and also be much more congested, an 8-lane urban arterial is not sufficient for the kind of traffic currently on the Gardiner Expressway. Very few surface streets in the world have traffic volumes of this kind. You can draw pretty renders of a tree-lined urban arterial, in reality it will be a clogged road with stop-and-go traffic throughout the day. Environmentally this also doesn't make any sense because it will increase emissions significantly because of longer travel times and much more stop-and-go traffic.

Maintain is the only sensible option here.

keokiracer liked this post
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:59 PM   #2614
Haljackey

Most are calling for a complete demolition of the Gardiner east, along with downgrading the interchange with the Don Valley Parkway:

Comparison between the different proposals:

More expensive proposals like a tunnel and a cable-stayed viaduct are now off the drawing board.

In the end I think it will likely be maintained as it is the cheapest option. (It will cost less than demolishing it in the short-term.)

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; February 8th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2615
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How is maintain the viaduct "least preferred" for pedestrians and cyclists? The maintain option provides by far the least conflict with traffic on the Gardiner Expressway (0 conflict to be exact), while the remove option will ensure pedestrians and cyclists will have to get through much more traffic than the current situation.

Also, the current viaduct is much safer from a traffic point of view. If you demolish the viaduct, and direct all that traffic onto a surface street, you will have much more traffic through traffic lights, which are inherently less safe than a grade-separated overpass.

The report seems very biased for a removal of the expressway, while ignoring negative effects of that option. The removal will create much higher emissions due to stop-and-go traffic inherent to signalized intersections and traffic congestion, yet this option is presented as preffered in the evironment section. It doesn't make any sense.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #2616
Kanadzie

The worst part is the Gardiner is quite congested. The surface streets north tend to back up onto the ramps, and the road and also the surface street below (Lakeshore) often get totally jammed between like Spadina and the Humber river... even on a weekend afternoon the road system doesn't work properly. The intensive development around the area and growth of downtown TO are making increasing traffic counts a consistent reality. The corridor is constrained a little in areas, sometimes you can be stuck in traffic on the elevated and watch the news on television that is in a living room of a condo next to the road

The elevated section seems to be in poor condition (but nothing like say, the Metropolitan in Montreal) and with inadequate capacity, so, of course, best solution is to reduce the capacity, clearly!

I guess the safety issue is considering the risk of falling concrete?
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #2617
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The points for urban design in the matrix are so subjective too.
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2618
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
4 lanes is not sufficient for the current AADT of 110,000 vehicles. It would be congested most of the day and will also lead to more congestion further west because it becomes a bottleneck.
Volumes on the east end of the Gardiner are much lower.

Between Jarvis and the Don Valley Parkway (study area), the Gardiner carries an average AADT of 50-60k.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardin...to_the_present

That's why all the proposals that don't include 'maintain' see a reduction in the number of lanes on this stretch.

Edit: Scrap that, got confused by the article as this is per direction. Total is around 110k.

Last edited by Haljackey; February 9th, 2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #2619
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Its much better for the pedestrian as the replacement boulevard would be roughly 35 meters wide, enough for a crossing on a single light, compared to the current setup where it takes 2. Toronto's other 8 lane boulevard, University Avenue, is roughly 40 meters wide and can barely be crossed in a single signal. While not an ideal pedestrian situation, it is a far cry from the Gardiner.

The problem with the current gardiner is the highway off ramps. Cars fly off of them going 80-90km/h and don't look for pedestrians at all at the bottom. I have nearly been hit a couple of times walking past a gardiner off ramp. The pillars from the gardiner also make it easy to not see a pedestrian when turning.

There is also the issue of general urbanism. the longest distance to cross both the gardiner and the rail corridor is over 170 meters right now, far too long in far too hostile of an environment to be a "nice" walk.
The report states that emissions would drop with the at grade boulevard, largely because less cars would be using it.

The replacement would have 3 intersections, Cherry, Parliament, and Sherbourne. The current distance to walk under the Gardiner (and across the 6 lane Lakeshore road) are roughly 65, 45, and 100 meters, with all 3 requiring 2 light cycles to do. The new boulevard would be 35 meters wide, and as I mentioned, would take a single light signal to cross.

in general right now the Gardiner varies in width between 60-100 meters and does nothing but to serve the movement of vehicles, the exact opposite of what you want in the middle of the city.

The gardiner also largely serves a single purpose of getting cars downtown. There is very, very little "through" traffic. The cars that use this road get off in the city, so its not that big of a deal to have 2 or 3 additional blocks to travel. Most DVP traffic gets off at the Eastern Avenue overpass, the Gardiner traffic largely gets off at Spadina, etc. this is a grade seperated road that serves a local purpose, unlike the further west portions of the Gardiner or the DVP which serves to get people in and out of the core.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #2620
Kanadzie

But really, is the Gardiner the issue of preventing a "nice walk"? There is nothing nice to walk to in that area. With 110 000 vehicles passing the area and like 110 pedestrians crossing...

Last edited by Kanadzie; February 9th, 2014 at 03:30 AM.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto