daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #2761
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
The other thing is politics. The Ambassador bridge is privately owned by a man many people and politicians hate. This new bridge will be owned by the government and is a big 'screw you' to him.
I hate to defend Moroun but he has a certain point. It seems the Canadian government in particular is out to screw him for some reason. Wasn't he proposing to build a second span anyway?

Furthermore the whole problem in the area isn't road capacity on the bridge but delays because of the border checkpoint (which should simply be removed) and to a considerably lesser extent, surface streets in Windsor.

Why are we spending billions when really all that is needed is a couple of overpasses and to just knock down the border huts?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #2762
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

U.S. Homeland Security is doing just the opposite, it is getting more and more restrictive.

Going through Canadian customs is relatively easy most of the time. As long as you have a valid passport and you're not transporting any firearms, it will take you less than a minute to clear security.

U.S. customs is an entirely different story. I'm already getting off topic so I won't go into details here.

-----

Regarding a second span at the Ambassador complex, I don't think it amounted to anything concrete. It was merely a poly by the owner (Matty Moroun) to try to convince to be on his side. He has also hired people to shoot down the new government-owned crossing.

The Daily Show did a funny bit on it a while ago. It pretty much sums up everything.

https://showyou.com/v/h-7WwyLTOHM7Sw...idge-to-canada

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #2763
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

This illustrates the project fairly clearly: It really shows how substandard the connecting route on the Canadian side is right now.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; May 6th, 2014 at 05:26 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #2764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

That's basically $ 800 million for a border crossing facility. Man I'm glad we don't have to waste that kind of money in Europe due to the Schengen treaty. Imagine how much it would cost to construct 200+ of them.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #2765
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
U.S. Homeland Security is doing just the opposite, it is getting more and more restrictive.

Going through Canadian customs is relatively easy most of the time. As long as you have a valid passport and you're not transporting any firearms, it will take you less than a minute to clear security.

U.S. customs is an entirely different story. I'm already getting off topic so I won't go into details here.

-----

Regarding a second span at the Ambassador complex, I don't think it amounted to anything concrete. It was merely a poly by the owner (Matty Moroun) to try to convince to be on his side. He has also hired people to shoot down the new government-owned crossing.

The Daily Show did a funny bit on it a while ago. It pretty much sums up everything.

https://showyou.com/v/h-7WwyLTOHM7Sw...idge-to-canada

Actually, I found U.S. and Canadian customs comparable, and both a bit annoying, my last trip (last September/October). And while the time spent at the actual customs booth may be less than a minute, it took 20 minutes to get to the booth at the I-87/A-15 crossing (going north).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
This illustrates the project fairly clearly: It really shows how substandard the connecting route on the Canadian side is right now.

Gosh! Those border plazas are enormous.

Is that the project? I was visualizing something considerably farther south - basically starting at the west end of the 401 and continuing west until you hit 75 in suburbs south of Detroit. So you get a shortcut for people traveling between London and Toledo.

Would such a bypass be feasible, more reasonable, less expensive, and so on, and has it been proposed?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #2766
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
....Furthermore the whole problem in the area isn't road capacity on the bridge but delays because of the border checkpoint (which should simply be removed) and to a considerably lesser extent, surface streets in Windsor.

Why are we spending billions when really all that is needed is a couple of overpasses and to just knock down the border huts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's basically $ 800 million for a border crossing facility. Man I'm glad we don't have to waste that kind of money in Europe due to the Schengen treaty. Imagine how much it would cost to construct 200+ of them.
Indeed. Border controls between the U.S. and Canada do seem a bit silly in this day and age. But I'm not holding my breath.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #2767
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Actually, I found U.S. and Canadian customs comparable, and both a bit annoying, my last trip (last September/October). And while the time spent at the actual customs booth may be less than a minute, it took 20 minutes to get to the booth at the I-87/A-15 crossing (going north).
if you are travelling at a peak season, avoid that damn Lacolle, try one of the smaller ones, Mooers / Hemmingford (via NY 22 and Quebec Route 219) is a nice bypass.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:54 AM   #2768
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I wanted to stop at the Quebec welcome center ("centre," I guess). It was late afternoon the last Friday in September. Breezed up 87, traffic very light...then the wait at customs. Got into the welcome centre about 15 minutes before it closed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #2769
Kanadzie

I once entered Canada with a trailer, and declared what I had, the guy gave me a pink slip to hand at the office (to pay tax), I had only seen yellow ones before, so thought the pink was curious. as I pulled up to the office a friggin swat team swarms me with guns and everything, looking all over my stuff. I was like, what the hell...
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #2770
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Finally starting to make use out of the full colour display boards:

Penn's Woods, Ukraine liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #2771
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's basically $ 800 million for a border crossing facility.
When you have $700 million in goods crossing between Ontario and Michigan each day, the best infrastructure possible is essential. Exports are the life line of the Ontario/Quebec economy. Investing in this is crucial to the long term health of our economy.

Would the Netherlands be nearly as prosperous if the Port of Rotterdam was inefficient and a huge bottleneck?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 7th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #2772
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

But what buys $ 800 million in facilities that say $ 200 million doesn't buy? The figure seems so awful high to me.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #2773
sonysnob

^ The price tag is definitely significant. This is definitely the Cadillac of infrastructure projects, as personally, I think it probably should be. This is a legacy project that will be good for both economies, and is the type of project that it is worth doing it right the first time. It may be possible to build smaller and less expensive customs facilities for the near term, however, if the customs facilities become landlocked by the cities that surround them, it becomes even more disruptive and expensive to fix later.
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #2774
Haljackey

I agree. The Ambassador bridge may only carry 20,000 AADT but it can still get chronically congested due to the border checkpoints. Having larger plazas should help disperse traffic more, helping it flow a little better.
-While 20k doesn't sound busy, it can be when it holds up billions of dollars of commerce.

I've been on that bridge for over 3 hours and the Blue Water Bridge for over 2 hours.
-The improvements at the Blue Water crossing have helped separate traffic flows and that's what the new crossing will do here. The westbound 402 through Sarnia also has a lane strictly for local traffic so the highway can still be used during long backups.

I think the new bridge will be 3 lanes each way so that gives one lane for trucks, one lane for cars with Nexus (express) cards and one lane for everyone else. The Ambassador bridge only has 2 lanes each way which means these traffic flows are not as evenly dispersed.

My Simcity Stuff
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #2775
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

QEW in Etobicoke
IMG_2750 by FollowFiend, on Flickr

IMG_3025 by FollowFiend, on Flickr

IMG_3031 by FollowFiend, on Flickr

sonysnob liked this post
Ukraine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #2776
sonysnob

I have compiled a page of photos of the new Highway 404 extension that I took a couple of weeks ago (Scroll to the bottom):

http://asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_404-4...xtn_images.htm

The page shows a pretty complete look at the northern contract for the completion of the 404 extension. There are two construction contracts for the extension of the 404, the southern is from Green Lane, the current northern terminus of the 404, northerly to Queensville Sideroad, the northern contact covers the remainder of the highway to Woodbine Avenue. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any photos of the southern contract as it was a weekday and there was simply too much construction activity ongoing to start walking around with my camera.

I have also uploaded a handful of photos that were taken of the construction project during the spring of 2013, that I never got around to updating.
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #2777
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When you have $700 million in goods crossing between Ontario and Michigan each day, the best infrastructure possible is essential. Exports are the life line of the Ontario/Quebec economy. Investing in this is crucial to the long term health of our economy.

Would the Netherlands be nearly as prosperous if the Port of Rotterdam was inefficient and a huge bottleneck?
So taxes on those goods crossing the border can pay for the border crossing upgrades.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #2778
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukraine View Post
QEW in Etobicoke
IMG_2750 by FollowFiend, on Flickr
Wow no traffic. Nice

FULL SPEED AHEAD

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #2779
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Wow no traffic. Nice

FULL SPEED AHEAD

Maximum 90km/h

My Simcity Stuff

Ukraine liked this post
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #2780
Kanadzie

LOL like you can ever realistically see that road so empty, I call Photoshop!

The 90 km/h really sucks though, if you get caught at 140 km/h there (the unofficial GTA cruising speed) you will get really butthurt.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto