daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #2841
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Oy!

EDIT: Arrows for Sonysnob. I don't know anything about Trucker Josh!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; June 19th, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #2842
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That's too bad.

Another argument for a North American Schengen.

Talking of, I was just talking over lunch with a friend who's trying to choose between Toronto and Montreal for his next weekend-in-a-new-city. The question of where it's easier to cross the border came up. (Personally, that's not what would make me decide, but it's not my trip...) Only places I've crossed since 9/11 are at Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle and Jackman. Are Niagara-area crossings significantly better or worse than the former, and is there one that's better to use...?
Lacolle often has a bad jam, but the Niagara region ones are considerably worse, and there is a tolled bridge to boot. I think part of the problem is the entire GTA can only acces the US by those three areas while Montreal has several options (not just Lacolle but small border stations also)

You can actually find wait times in real-time, or announced on the radio on traffic reports:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #2843
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Handy! Thanks.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #2844
Kanadzie

There is also the American site of course:
http://bwt.cbp.gov/
Just one example - Lewiston (hwy 405) 70 minute delay right now (19h local time) (!)

They don't seem to cover the small border stations.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2845
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
That's too bad.
Another argument for a North American Schengen.
I find the idea of super strict control on the Canada - US border a ridiculous one.
It's not like illigal immigrants are going to swim across from Greenland and then sneak via Canada to the US.

Canada has stringent border control, so does USA. Easing border procedures between the two would increase tourism and trade with mininal risk for anyone's security.

There is for example no border control between Poland and Germany even if we have land border with Ukraine and the whole of the "wild east" stretching further. It works mostly fine.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #2846
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I think the U.S. is not willing to give up control of its external borders to a second party (i.e. Canada).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #2847
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think the U.S. is not willing to give up control of its external borders to a second party (i.e. Canada).
I'm not saying about giving up control.
But quick glance at passport or ID should be enough for 99% of the travellers.

There is no need for all the show of force and security. Some of the border crossings (and most importantly the border officials' attitudes) looks more like in Baghdad's green zone than in civilized world.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #2848
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Maybe they want people to sign up for NEXUS. I was looking through those customs-and-immigration sites at the information for that. Yes, there's an application fee but it looks as if the basic idea is to get pre-clearance. I always assumed it was just for people who cross the border regularly, but as far as I can tell I could get one of those passes/IDs/whatever you call them and thus bypass the controls next time...IF I were willing to pay the $50 fee.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #2849
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
...or at least enough of our politicians go ballistic over immigration and border issues. I don't know - I don't pay close enough attention to our politicians, ballistic or otherwise, lately - whether the idea of opening the Canadian border has ever gotten serious consideration, but unfortunately, anyone who's opposed has this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Ressam#Capture

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2850
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I'm not saying about giving up control.
But quick glance at passport or ID should be enough for 99% of the travellers.

There is no need for all the show of force and security. Some of the border crossings (and most importantly the border officials' attitudes) looks more like in Baghdad's green zone than in civilized world.
Hear, hear. The officials' attitudes (in both directions, in my experience) may be the worst of it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #2851
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Facebook page covering the 401 / Wonderland interchange by Aecon Construction

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hwy-4...91767867696103

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #2852
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

View for the Hwy 400/11 split taken about a month ago. You can see two future support piers as well as the northern bridge abutment, well to the left of the current structure. The southern abutment is just beyond the orange excavator just to the left of the Blazer that I was following:
Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2853
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
...or at least enough of our politicians go ballistic over immigration and border issues. I don't know - I don't pay close enough attention to our politicians, ballistic or otherwise, lately - whether the idea of opening the Canadian border has ever gotten serious consideration, but unfortunately, anyone who's opposed has this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Ressam#Capture
After 9-11 US border officials were under huge pressure and a culture of extreme paranoia and fear made the border a nightmare for people crossing. The Canadian government has bent over backwards to work with US border concerns to make the whole process easier and less problematic.

There's tons of information exchange between the 2 countries, streamlining, and co-operation. It's better than it was 10 years ago, but it's still a very unpleasant experience.. and it's in both directions. I honestly have an easier time entering the UK or Costa Rica than the US or Canada. It's enough to make me avoid crossing into the US altogether.

To answer your former question regarding which points of entry is best, I wouldn't know. I don't cross much any more. I go to Europe instead.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:52 PM   #2854
Kanadzie

Quote:
Which is annoying, since the old-time pre-9/11 easygoing border crossing regime (no identity papers) immediately caught this guy. There's a case for stricter controls if the easy ones don't work, but they did work!

It must have been amusing how it went down also...
"What's your destination today, sir?"
"Los Angeles"
"Purpose of your trip?"
"Um, destroy America"
"OK... why don't you have a seat right over here?"
Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:25 AM   #2855
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I find the idea of super strict control on the Canada - US border a ridiculous one.
It's not like illigal immigrants are going to swim across from Greenland and then sneak via Canada to the US.

Canada has stringent border control, so does USA. Easing border procedures between the two would increase tourism and trade with mininal risk for anyone's security.

There is for example no border control between Poland and Germany even if we have land border with Ukraine and the whole of the "wild east" stretching further. It works mostly fine.
For the love of god please don't compare North America to Europe

brewerfan386 liked this post
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #2856
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

In all honesty, you'd think it would be even easier crossing between Canada and the US than between European countries.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Penn's Woods, brewerfan386 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #2857
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Not really. European countries tend to be much more similar in terms of policy, and their close borders mean smaller differences. When you have two countries each roughly the size of the entire EU, you get lots of issues that might not exist Europe.

Canada's and the US's completely different approaches to immigration and Canada's economic protectionism make it difficult.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #2858
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

In the US border control is also a big political issue.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2859
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Not really. European countries tend to be much more similar in terms of policy, and their close borders mean smaller differences. When you have two countries each roughly the size of the entire EU, you get lots of issues that might not exist Europe.

Canada's and the US's completely different approaches to immigration and Canada's economic protectionism make it difficult.
While this is true today, let's not forget... well... 1939 or 1914 or the Cold War era or all that It's pretty impressive the border crossing is as easy as is...
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #2860
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Champlain Bridge, Montréal

A render of the new Champlain Bridge (pont Champlain) in Montréal.

It looks great, but it's a mistake not to increase capacity to at least eight general purpose lanes. The current bridge carries 160,000 vehicles per day (the max for six lanes), and this new bridge is suppose to last another 100 years or so. Not a wise investment for the future. At least they could turn the shoulders into driving lanes at some point.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto