daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #2861
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

highway expansion in urban centres is an outdated concept in canadian cities, the focus is on transit.

Montreal wants to extend the Yellow line into Longueuil to help expand cross river capacity (as well as the BRT / LRT lanes on this bridge) instead of expanding the highway system even further.

as for 1939 and 1914, that was a very long time ago, and holds little to no context in modern European politics. Its almost like pointing to 1812 for Canada and the US.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; June 28th, 2014 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #2862
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

What sort of transit is there, or is planned, to supplement the Champlain? (I do remember lots of buses on it the last time I was on it - and that was inbound on a Friday evening.) Is there any rail to the South Shore other than the metro to Longueil?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #2863
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

they were initially planning an LRT over the bridge but that has been put on permanent hold right now.

Montreal doesn't have too much money to be spending on new infrastructure right now, most of it is going into fixing their existing infrastructure which is falling apart such as this bridge and the Turcot interchange. Both are multi-billion dollar projects, and they are also extending the Blue metro line. long range plans have the metro extended into Longueuil (oops, not Laval) but there are no immediate plans beyond the bus lanes on the Champlain Bridge.
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #2864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
highway expansion in urban centres is an outdated concept in canadian cities, the focus is on transit.
Unfortunately, that won't help much to reduce congestion on the Champlain Bridge. The demand for cross-river capacity is always high in urban areas, due to their natural scarcity. Just look at New York, despite all the transit going under the Hudson, there is a strong demand for cross-river highway capacity.

The new Champlain Bridge is supposed to be a 100-year investment. The least they could do is reserve some space for a fourth travel lane, and it appears they did that with shoulders. Even if they don't widen the adjacent highway sections at the same time, it's still better to reserve some space, to avoid having to pay a much higher price later on.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #2865
ChrisDVD

Likes (Received): 105

Pictures of the New Champlain bridge, although it might change name...

http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/nbsl...cture-fra.html

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisDVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #2866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Are there any figures known about the dimensions of the new bridge? For example, height, clearance, width, main span, total length, etc.
Old June 28th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2867
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDVD View Post
Pictures of the New Champlain bridge, although it might change name...
Ah, Montreal. One of my favorite cities in the world. Thanks for the pics - I want to be there now. (This is the time of year....)

What's the proposed new name for the bridge?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #2868
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

the bridge tower will apparently be 162 meters tall, but I don't know anything beyond that.

also, the current bridge typically has a lane reserved for buses during peak hours already, so the new one is really bringing car lanes to 6 from the existing 4.
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #2869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
also, the current bridge typically has a lane reserved for buses during peak hours already, so the new one is really bringing car lanes to 6 from the existing 4.
Wow, how congested must that be? 160,000 vehicles per day is really pushing it on six lanes even if there is almost no truck traffic. Ideally you'd go from six to eight lanes at 130,000 vpd.
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #2870
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

traffic is typically on the bridge from 6:30-9:30 and 15:30-18:30, according to Google maps.
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #2871
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wow, how congested must that be? 160,000 vehicles per day is really pushing it on six lanes even if there is almost no truck traffic. Ideally you'd go from six to eight lanes at 130,000 vpd.
The bus only lanes operate contraflow. So during the inbound rush, one of the outbound lanes is closed to vehicles, and operates as an inbound bus lane. The opposite is true during the PM rush.

While I somewhat agree with the idea that the Champlain bridge should be widened. The bridge feeds into an expressway network on the island that doesn't have much in the way of residual capacity, and can't really be widened. I am not sure that widening the bridge would really do much for the highway network unless there were some significant other network upgrades that are unlikely to occur.
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #2872
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
there is a reserved bus lane but it operates in contraflow, so 3 lanes in, 2 lanes out and the bus inbound in the morning. The buses cross the hwy at grade with a traffic light on the freeway

Considering the lack of viable crossing points of the river the bridge is quite important, and terrifically congested at morning rush, the afternoon and early evening in its entirety and frequently on weekends. Eight lanes is no luxury either, and there are 10 road lanes on the approach from Montreal, and what, eight plus Hwy 132 on the South Shore side? The 6 lane choice was not appropriate even for the 1960 construction.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #2873
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Is Autoroute 30 helping any? Someone trying to get from Sherbrooke* to Ontario no longer has to go through Montreal Island at all.

*EDIT: Now that I think of it, even traffic from Quebec City or the Maritimes using Autoroute 20 can likewise avoid Montreal altogether. I don't know how the distance compares. This doesn't reduce the number of commuters, but would take a lot of long-haul trucks out of the mix.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; June 29th, 2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2874
Kanadzie

Hwy 30 is a piece of crap The new section is okay, nicely made and low traffic volume but the existing road from the 15 to the 20 is frequently jammed and full of holes. If you are bypassing the city, it's not as bad a jam as going through the island but it still isn't good. The section is only 4 lanes and even off-peak there are enough trucks to keep blocking the left lane at 105 km/h (speed limiter law) that you'll curse in any language

I kind of question the utility of the "bypass", everybody says about the great advantage of bypass, but in reality a vast majority of traffic has some place on the island as a destination or origin... (but considering how Hwy 30 is blocked maybe the trucks are there, but maybe they have to be, there are some distribution centers, staging yards etc in that area)

It should be noted the existing Hwy 30 section I refer to could be expanded practically infinitely, it follows a hydro corridor, if you replace all overpasses though

The new bridge itself is somewhat too far away to be useful to "regional" traffic, except for random Vaudreuil-Chateauguay traffic (which was essentially zero, because a PITA, but now may grow)

As for the Champlain, it's the highest-traffic bridge in the Canada, with 6 lanes. Proposal of new bridge is 6 lanes plus a public transit corridor (probably 2 lane median busway but they keep pushing for a multibillion dollar LRT setup). With less traffic, the (poor level of service) Burlington Skyway is 8 lanes and the new Port Mann in Vancouver is what, 10 lanes?

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Kanadzie; June 29th, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2875
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Port Mann is 10 lanes yes, but the highway is 6 lanes on both sides of the bridge so it is kind of pointless.

Skyway similarly is only 6 lanes on one side so it is limited. It has an AADT of ~120,000 as well from what I can remember though. There are plans to make it 6+2 HOT with a widening of the QEW to 6+2 HOT as well, which will probably happen in the next few years.

In other news, the RFP on the 410 widening has closed (6/7 bcomes 8+2 HOT), with Aecon construction being the lowest bidder at something like $156 million.
Old June 30th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #2876
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 856

Not true.

The Port Mann has 10 lanes while the freeway on either side is 8 lanes from Langley all the way to Vancouver. The Port Mann section is wider as a lot of traffic gets on/off between Surrey and Coquitlam. It's a nice bridge but for $3 one way for less than a km of travel or $9 for a transport truck it damn well should be.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:56 PM   #2877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

120 km/h

As a result of the Rural Highway Safety and Speed Review, the Province is increasing the maximum speed limit on certain stretches of multi-lane divided rural highway to 120 km/h. The new speed limit is effect on Highway 5 (Coquihalla) from Hope to Kamloops and on Highway 97C from Aspen Grove to Drought Hill Interchange, Peachland. The speed limit will also be increased to 120 km/h on Highway 19 from Parksville to south of Willis Road, Campbell River.
This is the first instance of a 120 km/h (75 mph) speed limit in Canada if I'm correct.

120 km/h on Coquihalla by TranBC, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 2nd, 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2878
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Closing an entire lane in order to put a sign up on the side of the road????
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2879
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I thought that at first too, but I am sure the lane closure was only for the carefully choreographed photo-shoot.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 01:07 AM   #2880
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It would seem quite normal. On my way to work they closed an entire exit ramp to do work on an electric powerline pole, not on the road at all. They could have just put cones and reduced the ramp width by half, but no, I need to keep driving 2 km to the next cloverleaf and do a double-loop

Anyway 120 km/h on the Coke is great news and the highest speed limit ever. Even before the oil crisis the highest (but typical) freeway limits were 70 MPH. Though even further back, there were things like Quebec not having a rural speed limit at all (30 mph in city, none in rural areas until 1956, similar to the British situation)

It should be noted that 120 km/h on this road is still slow and boring, 120 mph is quite comfortable.

120 km/h speed limit proposals keep surfacing in almost all the provinces and nothing ever happens, but finally it has, maybe, it will spread, if we are lucky. Of course the Americans are already signing 140 km/h limits

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto