daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:56 AM   #2881
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

That's MPH*, please. ;-) to the Austrian thread.

*90 of 'em.
Seriously, though: where?

PS: By the way, "the Province" referred to but never named in Chris's post is British Columbia.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2014, 03:37 AM   #2882
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Closing an entire lane in order to put a sign up on the side of the road????
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I thought that at first too, but I am sure the lane closure was only for the carefully choreographed photo-shoot.
The highway contractor would have had their trucks parked in the closed lane. The photographer would have parked nearby off the motorway at a pre determined location and then walked up as this pic is at an interchange between the Trans Canada and HWY 5.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 03:42 AM   #2883
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That's MPH*, please. ;-) to the Austrian thread.

*90 of 'em.
Seriously, though: where?

PS: By the way, "the Province" referred to but never named in Chris's post is British Columbia.
Sorry, 85 in TX and Utah... I know it is literally only 137 km/h but... remember those early 80's NHTSA-mandated US speedometers that could only read to 85, so there was a peg, and 140 km/h marked after the peg
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #2884
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

The Westminster Drive / Highway 401 overpass in London was demolished this weekend to make way for highway widening between Highways 4 and 402.

Bridge info: http://www.historicbridges.org/bridg...westminster%2F

A couple pics I took

A few hours before death.

Stopped by in the night to try and catch a glimpse of the demolition but every road around it was closed so couldn't get close. This was the best photo I could get... excuse the bad quality (at extreme zoom)

The overpass is being quickly replaced with a new bridge designed to span 8 lanes, although I doubt the 401 will ever be that wide west of the 402.

Bonus: Pic I took from the bridge in 2010:

Via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontari...way_401#Future

My Simcity Stuff

Ukraine liked this post

Last edited by Haljackey; July 8th, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #2885
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

just like how they are designing the 404 extension for an ultimate 10 lane configuration.. stupidly unlikely to occur, but probably best to plan for the worst I guess. who knows what things will be like in 60 years.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #2886
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

A new bridge opened to traffic south of Ottawa.

This is the first bridge in this area despite significant suburbanization on both sides of the river.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #2887
Kanadzie

it's amusing, they made a "green belt" around the city so that it would not make too much suburbs, but instead they just jumped it
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #2888
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Artificial urban boundaries such as green belts are usually good for two things; exorbitant housing prices and exceedingly / unnecessary long commuting times because of developments beyond the green belt. Growing cities need more space.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #2889
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

They can work if implemented properly, Toronto's is working wonderfully. Urban area growth has gone from 27% between 1991 and 2001 to 7% between 2001 and 2011, despite population growth remaining the same (Roughly 100,000 people a year). You have to leave some space for outward growth within the boundary and have to also implement policies that encourage denser development.

The problem with Ottawa is that it is only something like 4km wide, and there are no land use policies alongside it to try and reduce outwardly growth. It's reasoning for implementation wasn't to reduce sprawl either from my understanding as it has been around since well before planning started to put real negative connotations on sprawl.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; July 14th, 2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #2890
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Portland, Oregon's got something too. No idea how well it works.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #2891
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
They can work if implemented properly, Toronto's is working wonderfully. Urban area growth has gone from 27% between 1991 and 2001 to 7% between 2001 and 2011, despite population growth remaining the same (Roughly 100,000 people a year). You have to leave some space for outward growth within the boundary and have to also implement policies that encourage denser development.
Is it really the case? It seems more like Toronto has just hit the boundaries of adjacent urban areas and has turned into one big Niagara-Barrie/ Hamilton-Clarington conurbation... I remember being there and they were advertising houses, just off Hwy 400... at Horseshoe Valley Rd, I looked a map for fun, o kurwa

Toronto's sprawl though has a natural limiting factor of the lake on one side, and already like 100 km length across, only so far you can go One thing that sucks though about these policies, housing has become tremendously expensive... a detached single-family home (this means 4 walls, for some reason people in TO think duplex counts) with garage built in the 1950's needing work is easily 500 000 dollars and your drive to work will still be 1 hour each way if you are lucky. I was looking at some homes built recently for 1 million dollars, the houses were nice size, but the lot was tiny, to walk from front yard to back yard, you would have to walk sideways they were so close. This really sucks.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #2892
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Is it really the case? It seems more like Toronto has just hit the boundaries of adjacent urban areas and has turned into one big Niagara-Barrie/ Hamilton-Clarington conurbation... I remember being there and they were advertising houses, just off Hwy 400... at Horseshoe Valley Rd, I looked a map for fun, o kurwa
The Greenbelt wasn't implemented until 2005, so much of the area was already built up. The Greenbelt covers some of the best farmland in the country, and while it's not perfect, I think things would be worse without it.

Old July 14th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #2893
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

The greenbelts biggest "hole" is the 400, really. Places to Grow (the accompanying land use policy) affects most of southern Ontario however, and is the real primary driver of the reduction of sprawl. Notice the huge white area around the existing urban boundary in that image, the greenbelt leaves plenty of space for the city to sprawl still, it's the land use policy that is preventing that space from filling up in 15 years and having development jump the greenbelt. Instead that land will probably last until the 2050's or later at current rates.
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #2894
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Hasn't Southern Ontario been completely developed (almost 100%?) whether it be housing, industrial, farming?

Its fascinating to look at on a map. I really wish all that fertile land reached farther north
VoltAmps está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2895
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Including farming, yes. Urban development, far from it. It's an extremely densely populated area with 10+ million people living in southern Ontario, but it's far from built out. The stuff I have been talking about is designed to make it so it isn't completely developed however.
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #2896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Portland, Oregon's got something too. No idea how well it works.
It doesn't really work. Although Portland is more bicycle friendly than other American cities, the urban area is almost entirely low density, yet with far higher housing prices and much more intense traffic congestion than other cities of this size.

Portland had the 39th highest TTI (Travel Time Index) among large metropolitan areas in 1982, but climbed to the 5th highest in 2012. At the same time, the transit share has remained essentially flat.
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #2897
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Including farming, yes. Urban development, far from it. It's an extremely densely populated area with 10+ million people living in southern Ontario, but it's far from built out. The stuff I have been talking about is designed to make it so it isn't completely developed however.
Southern Ontario can only be called 'extremely densely populated' by north American standards. Southern Ontario (126,819 sq km) and England (130,395 sq km) are almost identical in land area yet England is home to 53 million people. If southern Ontario (12.5 million people) were a US state it would be roughly the 11th most densely populated, less dense than Ohio but denser than California. New Jersey is 5 times denser than southern Ontario.

It's true that the best southern Ontario farmland is all under cultivation, but I doubt we've come close to using all of our commercially viable agricultural land.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; July 15th, 2014 at 11:28 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #2898
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

This is the first instance of a 120 km/h (75 mph) speed limit in Canada if I'm correct.
I believe so. I know that Moncton has had a section just south of the city with a 110km/h speed limit for over a decade, but this is the first faster than that I've seen.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2899
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's true that the best southern Ontario farmland is all under cultivation, but I doubt we've come close to using all of our commercially viable agricultural land.
Surely it must be right now, nobody would leave money on the table...
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2900
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Lots of highways in Alberta have 110km/h as well, but this is the first 120km/h.

Most viable agricultural land in Ontario is in use, yes. Agricultural use has actually contracted since it's peak when farmers would try and grow crops on anything with more than a foot of soil. The Muskoka area at one time was essentially clear cut and littered with farms, but has since reverted to wilderness as it isn't viable farmland. (This is why no forests in the area are old growth, it's difficult to find a tree over 100-120 years old)

Densely populated isn't southern Ontario as a whole which includes large tracts of in uninhabited land between Toronto and Ottawa, I meant more so the tract between Peterborough and London.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto