daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #3041
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Work is progressing on 4 laning the Trans Canada Highway east of Kamloops, BC. The grade is already in place and, at the very east end of the project, paving has commenced. The biggest issue with the project, is the archeological digs that are required. It has apparently gotten more than a little ugly between construction crews and the archeological teams. I'm surprised the RCMP aren't involved, especially with the construction crews being the predominant aggressors. Mostly threats of violence, intimidation and throwing stuff at archeological staff, as well as the required shadows that follow the construction crews.

In other, lighter news, I saw my first Australian registered vehicle while doing traffic control today. It was a Ford Ranger (with the typical ute deck and I think the truck had some sort of camping unit on it) and was (I think) registered in New South Wales. The number plates have seen better days. White background, red letter/numbers and a red kangaroo.

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #3042
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

This is the second of two Hwy 11 videos that I shot back in May. This chronicles the final portion of highway to be twinned between Toronto and North Bay:

Old October 16th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #3043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Dempster Highway

http://dempsterhighway.com/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #3044
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

The new 401/Westminster Drive overpass. Twice as wide as the old one!

I doubt we'll see 8 lanes west of the 402, but this bridge will be able to span it!

Old bridge for comparison:

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #3045
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway 7, Ontario

Work on new Kitchener-Guelph Highway 7 to begin this spring

Ontario's Ministry of Transportation says it will soon have the land it needs to begin construction this spring on a new four-lane Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph.

Work to build the long-promised 18-kilometre highway will begin this spring and take "five construction seasons" to complete, putting the opening date sometime in 2020
Full report: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...n-this-spring/

Will this be a freeway? The MTO website is quite vague on this. ('new four-lane highway')
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:44 AM   #3046
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

yea, it will be.

Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #3047
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

oh my god, a semi-directional Y thrown on top a folded diamond? LOL
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #3048
AbstractEntity

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
yea, it will be.

Is there any actual word of when this is set to be completed?

I would rank this as one of the most important freeway projects in Ontario at this point. Ideally, I would like all of 7 and 6 to be made into a freeway from the 85 in Kitchener to the 403. The Hanlon would have to be upgraded with full interchanges, and the new alignment of 6 would meet the Hanlon directly and would eventually jog over to the current alignment of 6 just north of highway 5. Highway 5/6 would have to be converted into a full interchange, the Timmys/Wendys would have to be expropriated.

Personally I'd say this should be up there for the provincial government's highest priorities, but I haven't heard any word on putting this into any concrete plans. Highway 6 is substandard by any measure, particularly in its two-lane section through Puslinch which is embarrassingly congested.

I think the new complete highway, if it's built, should be redesignated as a 400 series. 408 maybe?

Last edited by AbstractEntity; October 28th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
AbstractEntity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3049
AbstractEntity

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It's really just Ontario that has a good/decent freeway network. The other provinces tend to be lacking in that regard (with the possible exception for Quebec if their freeways were better maintained).
I would say Ontario and Quebec are the opposite.

Ontario's freeways are at a very high standard, but the freeway network is not nearly extensive enough. There are glaring examples of places where upgrades are needed like the 401 connection to Detroit, 17 west of Arnprior, highway 6 from 403 to the 401. Ottawa and Toronto could each use one or two more major freeway routes. But most of the freeways that exist are state-of-the-art in terms of design standards.

Quebec has a pretty extensive freeway network (with the exception of 85 to the New Brunswick border), in the urban areas and outside. Montreal probably has the best freeway network of any major Canadian city, and the existence of not one but two freeways between Montreal and Quebec City is quite impressive. But Quebec's freeways often aren't well maintained and have substandard design (although I was very impressed with the new A-30 bypass of Montreal).

Last edited by AbstractEntity; October 28th, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #3050
sonysnob

The fact that there are two freeways running between Montreal and Quebec City has a lot to do with the Saint Lawrence bisecting the populated portion of the province. If the St. Lawrence wasn't such a barrier, Quebec would probably have a single six lane highway linking the two cities similar to what exists through Southwestern Ontario.
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #3051
AbstractEntity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The fact that there are two freeways running between Montreal and Quebec City has a lot to do with the Saint Lawrence bisecting the populated portion of the province. If the St. Lawrence wasn't such a barrier, Quebec would probably have a single six lane highway linking the two cities similar to what exists through Southwestern Ontario.
I would say it has more to do with the position of Trois Rivieres and Drummondville. 40 serves the former while 20 serves the latter, and both are too far away from each other to simply build one freeway from Montreal to Quebec City that passes halfway in between Drummondville and Trois Rivieres.

Although I think Ontario would've gone the "one freeway in between" route in that situation.

Last edited by AbstractEntity; October 28th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #3052
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

And the river's in the way....

Drummondville's not that big, is it? I'd guess if Trois-Rivières were smaller, they might not have bothered to build Autoroute 40...just let the 20 (which is shorter) serve the Montreal/Quebec City traffic and use 55 to connect Trois-Rivières and Shawinigan to it.

Although would there still be enough North Shore traffic to justify an autoroute?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #3053
ChrisZwolle
Road user

River crossings at the St. Lawrence are rare, there's basically only one outside the Montréal and Québec metro areas (at Trois-Rivières).

A20 and A40 are fairly equal though, A20 is a bit shorter, but it's only a 10-minute difference on a 2.5 hour drive (from city center to city center).
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #3054
sonysnob

Twinning underway to extend Hwy 417 west of Arnprior. The future westbound lanes are being constructed to the north of the existing alignment, and much of the extension will have a wide forested median:

Old October 29th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #3055
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
River crossings at the St. Lawrence are rare, there's basically only one outside the Montréal and Québec metro areas (at Trois-Rivières).

A20 and A40 are fairly equal though, A20 is a bit shorter, but it's only a 10-minute difference on a 2.5 hour drive (from city center to city center).
it's very odd, almost everybody who does Montreal-Quebec will pass by A20, except for obvious situations (like north shore Montreal people), even though A20 implies an extra bridge crossing. If you take A20 it will be usually unplesantly tight traffic and A40 will be deserted. All say A20 is shorter but like you say, not by much.

Also it is interesting the geography difference - A20 is almost all extremely flat farmland, A40 all forested and rugged.

Curious point about extravagant freeway networks - A40 through Trois-Rivieres was supposed to bypass the city on the north, and the current A-40 was supposed to be a spur freeway loop through the city (planned A-755). But the traffic isn't there so they didn't build bypass. But the land is all there and you can clearly see on map how it is supposed to work. Another fun one is Autoroute 30 - supposed to pass in between the A-20 and A-40 on the south side, making three Montreal-Quebec freeways. Some segments were built (like A-55 interchanges) but it is otherwise still the old Hwy 132.

Last edited by Kanadzie; October 29th, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #3056
sonysnob

Fall colours on Hwy 60 east of Huntsville, ON

Penn's Woods, Suburbanist liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:56 AM   #3057
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

its really expensive to construct a bridge over the St. Lawrence due to the required clearance levels for ships. There is a reason I-81 is substandard when crossing the St. Lawrence, the cost of an additional bridge to allow for a true motorway simply isn't worth it.

Honestly I prefer the fewer but better highway model that Ontario has, it has resulted in some of the best highways on the planet in terms of design and damages the environment less.

Highway 6 between the 401 and the 403 is largely expected to stay as is for the future, 4 lanes undivided. This is due to how environmentally sensitive the area is, the damage would be pretty extensive if they upgraded it. They are planning an additional interchange at Highway 5 in Waterdown, and the Morriston Bypass to connect with the 401 as well though to improve the flow of the highway. once those two are built there will only be something like 4 stoplights on the 26km route, through what is probably the densest populated rural area in the country.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #3058
AbstractEntity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Twinning underway to extend Hwy 417 west of Arnprior. The future westbound lanes are being constructed to the north of the existing alignment, and much of the extension will have a wide forested median:
How far west will this extension go? All the way to Renfrew?
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:13 AM   #3059
AbstractEntity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Honestly I prefer the fewer but better highway model that Ontario has, it has resulted in some of the best highways on the planet in terms of design and damages the environment less.

Highway 6 between the 401 and the 403 is largely expected to stay as is for the future, 4 lanes undivided. This is due to how environmentally sensitive the area is, the damage would be pretty extensive if they upgraded it. They are planning an additional interchange at Highway 5 in Waterdown, and the Morriston Bypass to connect with the 401 as well though to improve the flow of the highway. once those two are built there will only be something like 4 stoplights on the 26km route, through what is probably the densest populated rural area in the country.
What is so environmentally special about this region? They built the Red Hill Creek Expressway so I don't see how highway 6 would be a worse environmental issue than that.

Either way, even with those planned updates it would still be substandard given the amount of traffic and its importance as an intercity route. If it were in America I have no doubts it'd be a freeway.
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #3060
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractEntity View Post
How far west will this extension go? All the way to Renfrew?
The current extension is only about 6km in length, however it is the first of a series of contracts to push the highway west towards Renfew. I am not sure what the timeline is for the next contract to be called however.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto