daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #3121
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Have there been plans of building HOV-lanes on 401?
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #3122
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

yes, they are building them now, but the implementation is really stupid

hopefully the next election we will get common-sense people again (quick somebody dig up Mike Harris and bring him back to life like Frankenstein to save us )
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #3123
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
for parts of it, yes. 403 - Kitchener have them planned as that part of the highway is widened.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #3124
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

hopefully the next election we will get common-sense people again (quick somebody dig up Mike Harris and bring him back to life like Frankenstein to save us )
I'd like to see the innermost express lane of the 401 converted to HOV only from 410-Salem Road. A stripped buffer won't fit but who really cares? The 401's capacity won't increase but it will carry more people.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #3125
Kanadzie

I doubt it, I mean the traffic on the other lanes would be worse than it is now, and I'd be in it
I have such a bad memory once sitting in my convertible under the Salem Rd sign at like 6 PM, broiling under the July sun, it was not moving at all to the point where the car wasn't liking it, my leg was getting sore from clutch and all kinds of badness, I'm like traumatized, I was thinking, they named the road well, it's like being the witch on the stake
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #3126
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

The region's 400-series highways will be getting temporary HOV lanes for the Pan Am Games next summer. There are calls to make them permanent before they're even installed.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #3127
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ they will be HOV-3. Moving around the GTA is going to be difficult next summer.

Most jurisdictions that have converted an existing general purpose lane to an HOV lane (albeit temporarily in this case) have had negative experiences with doing so.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #3128
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

HOV lanes do not reduce traffic as much as the traffic on it indicates. Studies indicate some 50-60% of HOV users are people who would have traveled together regardless of HOV lane existance. They don't reduce the vehicle mileage.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #3129
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
^ they will be HOV-3. Moving around the GTA is going to be difficult next summer.

Most jurisdictions that have converted an existing general purpose lane to an HOV lane (albeit temporarily in this case) have had negative experiences with doing so.
OMG Pan Am games, what the hell, it is like the London Olympics BS, except, it's not the Olympics, its some BS nobody ever heard of before! It make your brain melt!!
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #3130
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They probably want some VIP lanes for the Pan Am Games. Like the ZIL lanes in Russia.
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #3131
Haljackey

If anything the Pan-Am games will be a trial run for an Olympic host.

Rob Ford cancelled Toronto's 2024 bid, but it might bid for the 2028 games.

Toronto placed second in the 2008 bid, but lost to Beijing by a landslide

My Simcity Stuff
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #3132
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

they are designed for VIP use, but will allow people travelling with 3 or more people in the car to use them as well.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #3133
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
If anything the Pan-Am games will be a trial run for an Olympic host.

Rob Ford cancelled Toronto's 2024 bid, but it might bid for the 2028 games.

Toronto placed second in the 2008 bid, but lost to Beijing by a landslide
Thank god, I have no idea why people would want to subject themselves to these things... since Montreal 1976 at least every single one (well maybe LA 1984) has been a complete cluster****, and it's getting worse...
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #3134
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Yeah, Olympics have become insanely expensive, to the point IOC is having troubles with some Winter Olympic bid (for 2022), as European cities all stopped or withdrew their bid (St. Moritz, Oslo and others).
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #3135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Olympics seem to become a vehicle for authoritarian or corrupt countries to show off. Spending billions of dollars for a few weeks exposure is not worth it anymore, which is why many cities have withdrawn their bid.
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #3136
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Thank god, I have no idea why people would want to subject themselves to these things... since Montreal 1976 at least every single one (well maybe LA 1984) has been a complete cluster****, and it's getting worse...
On the other hand London 2012 was quite successful. They used it to kick start revitalisation of wast swaths of East London.

But I do agree that it is becoming way to expensive, mostly a toy for really big cities or countries which want to show off. That's why it might be problem for many European cities. Most of them are to small and sane to splash for such extravaganza.

Could Toronto do it? I don't know, It's up to them.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #3137
AbstractEntity

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

I wouldn't say there was anything that resembled "common sense" about privatizing the 407. I would call that a colossal blunder, one of Canada's worst infrastructure blunders in recent history. If the government still owned it, it could be a massive source of revenue, and they could toll it at more reasonable rates which would mean the highway would be better used, and would mean more relief of traffic from the 401.
AbstractEntity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #3138
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

There is a myth that the 407 is underused. It isn't. There can be traffic at peak periods on busy days. The 407 sale wasn't a smart idea, but it isn't the disaster that people make it out to be either.

What will be interesting is to see how the publicly owned 407 extension behaves compared to the existing section.

Harris was one of the worst premiers in a long time, but that isn't for this thread.
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #3139
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Olympics seem to become a vehicle for authoritarian or corrupt countries to show off. Spending billions of dollars for a few weeks exposure is not worth it anymore, which is why many cities have withdrawn their bid.
In Toronto's case it will be billions put to good use. Most of that money will go to transportation & infrastructure spending, something the area is in need of. (It's what's happening now for the Pan-Am host.)

Having North America's highest average commute times is a great selling point for an Olympic host

-----

I think everyone agrees the 407ETR sell was a dumb idea. Could have been sold for at least 10x, possibly 100x as much, or been kept in public hands. At least lessons were learned and the extension is going to be public-owned.

My Simcity Stuff
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #3140
Kanadzie

but it's really dumb. They start sinking billions (and really - GTA total population is like 6 M people. A billion dollars is like $160 a head, it's a lot of money!) in a frenzy for some kind of pointless sporting event that nobody cares about (Leafs game probably attracts more attention and they don't even win :P)

Instead would not be better to just invest where necessary as the need and the project solution arise?

Anyway I just mean, I'm from Montreal, we spent billions on Olympics and we have the infrastructure to show it, that useless white elephant with the concrete falling off and collapsing parkades and roof. Heck it is even white!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractEntity View Post
I wouldn't say there was anything that resembled "common sense" about privatizing the 407. I would call that a colossal blunder, one of Canada's worst infrastructure blunders in recent history. If the government still owned it, it could be a massive source of revenue, and they could toll it at more reasonable rates which would mean the highway would be better used, and would mean more relief of traffic from the 401.
That specific one was bad!
Even if it was like a 30-year BOT kind of contract (pretty much what the Paterson Liberals had in mind), it would have been very good in a very fiscally challenged time - road today with toll for 30 years, instead of waiting 20 years. But 99 is just too long and the price was ultimately too low. But, the province was in crisis...

Last edited by Kanadzie; December 19th, 2014 at 05:52 AM.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto