daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2014, 01:34 PM   #3141
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I have a question: does anyone here, being neither Canadian or American, have first-hand experience on crossing the land border into US (from Canada) with a Canadian rental car? If positive, how much hassle is it?

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #3142
Michał Kilarski

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have a question: does anyone here, being neither Canadian or American, have first-hand experience on crossing the land border into US (from Canada) with a Canadian rental car? If positive, how much hassle is it?
I did it the other way. Renting from Hertz at Newark Airport and traveling north through Niagara Falls, dropping the car at Toronto Airport. No issues. At the border crossing I was asked to show the receipt showing my pickup/drop-off locations.
Michał Kilarski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #3143
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm a Canadian, so not really what you are looking for, but I've never had a problem driving a rented car across the border to the US. Many rental car companies will only offer unlimited mileage within province, (but what the rental car company doesn't know, won't hurt them).
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #3144
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I'm a Canadian, so not really what you are looking for, but I've never had a problem driving a rented car across the border to the US. Many rental car companies will only offer unlimited mileage within province, (but what the rental car company doesn't know, won't hurt them).
I checked all terms, I was just wondering whether is there some unexpected gotchas. I read third-country nationals crossing into US from Mexico with cars face a lot of scrutiny, opening of all bags etc. I wonder whether same provisions apply when crossing from Canada.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #3145
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Entering the US from Mexico seems to be a bit more arduous than entering from Canada. I think that Canadian Customs are more streamlined with the US than are the customs in Mexico, so I'd guess it's easier to enter from Canada to the US.

I know too that Mexico has its own car insurance policies, so US or Canadian insurance won't cover drivers in Mexico. As a Canadian, my insurance policy that I pay for for my own car here covers me when I drive a rented vehicle in the US.
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #3146
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Border procedures may vary according to perceived threat levels. My last trip - September-October 2013 - I had to open my trunk both crossing into Canada and crossing back into the U.S. a week later. Never had to do that before, so I wonder if they were on the lookout for something.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #3147
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Entering the US from Mexico seems to be a bit more arduous than entering from Canada. I think that Canadian Customs are more streamlined with the US than are the customs in Mexico, so I'd guess it's easier to enter from Canada to the US.

I know too that Mexico has its own car insurance policies, so US or Canadian insurance won't cover drivers in Mexico. As a Canadian, my insurance policy that I pay for for my own car here covers me when I drive a rented vehicle in the US.
Interesting, must make renting a car way cheaper!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #3148
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I'm guessing most American car-insurance policies cover driving in Canada.

They used to consistently recommend that you get one of these, though:

http://www.xor.org.uk/travel/canada2...uranceid01.jpg

(Now, it's hard to tell if it's still necessary. But can't hurt.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #3149
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

A10 Autoroute Bonaventure

The city of Montréal is going to demolish a 500 meter stretch of the Autoroute Bonaventure. They will replace a six-lane viaduct with an at-grade urban boulevard. It will cost a staggering $ 142 million.

Although it's portrayed as an idyllic urban park, in reality it will be a strip of land in the median of a busy eight-lane road. They didn't do any maintenance to the public space underneath the current viaduct, as you can see on Street View. It's quite dilapidated.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Tommy Boy liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #3150
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Where - towards the east end? (I'm familiar with Montreal....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #3151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This part: http://goo.gl/maps/L1vWi
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #3152
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Oh! I was thinking of the 720....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 20th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #3153
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

They've been wanting to do that project for several years (it's A-10 western end). Basically they remove the 6 lane freeway and replace with nothing (the existing service roads on either side will instead be the road). Where now you can keep going to and from 720 to A-10, now you will have several blocks of traffic lights. The frequent mentions of beautifying the area is really amusing since it is really quite a dump and blocked by the elevated train viaduct with the Hitchockian birds waiting to poop on you...

They have been doing physical work to the structure for about a year, the cross-roads underneath are all blocked or no parking. I used to like the expressway since it was a nice place to park near downtown but as you can see in pictures, looks like there will be a few hundred parkplatzen no longer existing. Another annoying point is the road will be renamed in honour of a former provincial premier.

as for car rental, absolutely tell the car rental agency you plan to go to USA. If you're planning a trip, make sure to check US rental agencies also. It may be much cheaper to start your trip in America instead (flights and rental cars can be / are typically much less expensive) Also check if your credit card offers some kind of extra insurance, that may allow you to reduce your cost (it actually saved me $550 for damage repair once)

Last edited by Kanadzie; December 20th, 2014 at 01:37 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #3154
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
They've been wanting to do that project for several years (it's A-10 western end). Basically they remove the 6 lane freeway and replace with nothing (the existing service roads on either side will instead be the road). Where now you can keep going to and from 720 to A-10, now you will have several blocks of traffic lights. The frequent mentions of beautifying the area is really amusing since it is really quite a dump and blocked by the elevated train viaduct with the Hitchockian birds waiting to poop on you...

They have been doing physical work to the structure for about a year, the cross-roads underneath are all blocked or no parking. I used to like the expressway since it was a nice place to park near downtown but as you can see in pictures, looks like there will be a few hundred parkplatzen no longer existing. Another annoying point is the road will be renamed in honour of a former provincial premier.
I know it...I just somehow didn't recognize the Bonaventure name. My typical route into Montreal from the south is 15/Champlain Bridge/10/University.

It's so close to the downtown I could see them thinking redeveloping it would be reasonable...is it part of a larger plan to connect the business district to that segment of the waterfront?

Which premier? Long as it's not

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 20th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #3155
Kanadzie

Oh yes, so now you are going to spend few minutes longer to get here

Redevelopment is reasonable, but there is a lot of developable space. At the north and west of where the road ends now, there is development rather nice, but the area there is generally sketch. Getting better, but the idea of the road as an eyesore or barrier is not logical, since the railway is objectively worse on both counts

No just Bourassa Every mayor for 15 years wants to name a street for this guy (eg the failed idea to rename Park Avenue), I don't get it...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old December 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #3156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Herb Gray Parkway / 401 extension in Windsor, Ontario.

Highway 3 eastbound E.C. Row to Grand Marais by Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway, on Flickr

Highway 401 ramps by Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway, on Flickr

Highway 3 east of Todd/Cabana by Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #3157
Kanadzie

hmmm... strangely complex arrangement for Hwy 3 (!)
I wonder if they will consider the road Hwy 401 and renumber exits for the next... 827 km or so?
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #3158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Just use negative exits

In Germany they do have negative kilometer posts for A61 that was rerouted to a new border crossing (making it longer than originally anticipated).

Kanadzie liked this post
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #3159
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Knowing MTO I wouldn't be surprised if they renumbered the entire highway.

Highway 3 essentially running top of the 401, so it runs in a funny alignment along it.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; December 27th, 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 09:46 PM   #3160
Kanadzie

but it's intriguing they even kept it especially considering it cost like... 50 M$ to do that at least. I would expect practically to just have Hwy 3 deleted and maybe Essex road \3/ enter and leave the mainline 401. MTO is getting very fancy on us now, almost like Americans

I wonder if MTO would consider installing Polish-style noise barriers, to keep that "windsor hum" away from bothering the vehicle passengers

Last edited by Kanadzie; December 27th, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto