daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:14 AM   #3201
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

You forgot Hamilton
Also in Edmonton, there are new developments southwards in neighbourhoods like Ambleside, Callaghan, Allard, the Orchard, Walker, and North of Niksu
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM   #3202
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Hamilton may be surrounded with highways, but it isn't a true ring road. The same goes for Toronto and Montreal.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #3203
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A local newspaper from the near-Toronto area reports construction will start next month on Highway 410 from the 401/403 interchange to Queen Street in Brampton. They will expand the highway to 4 GP lanes and 1 HOV lane each way.

http://www.caledonenterprise.com/new...sive-makeover/

I couldn't find a good project website though. The MTO website is quite poorly designed for quickly finding information about road projects other than the 407 east project.
Here's a project website for it

www.my410.ca
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:20 AM   #3204
Haljackey

Ontario is studying a corridor, dubbed the 'GTA West Highway', which would run north and west of Brampton.

Article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tran...o-mistake.html

Map:

If approved, construction won't start until 2020 at the earliest. Not sure if tolls are planned on it.

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:39 AM   #3205
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

definitely a needed planning endeavor, development is already well past Hwy 407 for most of its length. Consider the 407 was planned in the 1960's and only started construction in the 1990's, and the rapid growth of the GTA means rapidly escalating property values and traffic loads.

The end at {400} is strange though, surely they would think of a further eastern extension, maybe to one of the Durham Link roads (future Hwy 412?) We definitely need a fast Milton - Brampton - Montreal road (or I do but that's all that matters)

I like the idea of connecting it to a Mid-Pen road approaching Niagara and signing the whole thing as Hwy 420 mostly because I like the number A Greater Golden Horseshoe Horseshoe

Is the road re-using that weird mess transition of Hwy 410 to Hurontario road? (well I mean it works well now, but it looks un-suited for extension of 410)

Last edited by Kanadzie; January 31st, 2015 at 05:48 AM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:45 AM   #3206
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Would it make sense to extend the 407 all the way to 35/115?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:51 AM   #3207
Kanadzie

Oh yeah, the 401 is always trafficked west of 35/115 even now. It isn't so much jammed like in a city, but... it is still stressful, slow flow. (well OK often you can drive 90 mph + on the right lane while people go all kinds of jumbled 60 - 75 speeds in other lanes, Ontario-style) I imagine 407 going there in... 15 years?
Old January 31st, 2015, 06:28 AM   #3208
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post

The end at {400} is strange though, surely they would think of a further eastern extension, maybe to one of the Durham Link roads (future Hwy 412?) We definitely need a fast Milton - Brampton - Montreal road (or I do but that's all that matters)

Is the road re-using that weird mess transition of Hwy 410 to Hurontario road? (well I mean it works well now, but it looks un-suited for extension of 410)
There's a Bradford Bypass highway also being studied that willl connect the 400 with 404 so you could use that to get further east.

I would assume 410 would get extended a bit to meet this connection. Same with the 427.

My only comment about the mid-pen: Labeling it all 420 would lead to a lot of sign theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Would it make sense to extend the 407 all the way to 35/115?
That's the plan. Phase 2 will do that, probably by 2020-ish. Phase 1 is currently under construction.

My Simcity Stuff
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:30 AM   #3209
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

The contract for phase 2 was just issued, construction will begin before the end of the year. The end of the PPP contract is 2020, so if it is completed after that the contractor will be facing big penalty fees. (Just like the phase 1 contractor has until December 21st 2015 to open their portion of the highway). Phase 2 is supposed to open in 2 parts as well, with a smaller extension opening in 2017, and the full thing in 2020.

The 427 will likely be extended up from its currently funded terminus at Major Mackenzie to the GTA west highway.

There is discussion of realigning the 410 for it, and building the cut westward to highway 10 north of the GTA West highway, with the abandonment / destruction of the existing westward alignment (odd, considering that alignment is still almost brand new).

Also important to note that the GTA West highway is already facing significant opposition, the highway runs through the greenbelt around the GTA designed to protect against urban sprawl. Many worry it will increase sprawl in Brampton and Caledon, areas that are already the sprawliest areas of the city. Caledon is currently resisting development pressures fairly strongly as well, despite much of the municipality being located in the "whitebelt", or the area that is allowed to be developed. Large scale suburban development in the municipality has only been occuring for less than a decade at this point, and the politics of the municipality are still based in the farming community of Orangeville on the northern end of the municipality. Many worry this highway will make the municipality rezone much of its current agricultural land to residential and commercial around the highway.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 05:24 PM   #3210
Kanadzie

it's sprawly but its basically inevitable with the growth pressure. There is a lot of densification, but the region is basically adding Kingston every year That the urban area isn't growing faster is pretty remarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
My only comment about the mid-pen: Labeling it all 420 would lead to a lot of sign theft
I might need to take one too alongside a Hwy 69 marker
Old January 31st, 2015, 09:30 PM   #3211
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
definitely a needed planning endeavor, development is already well past Hwy 407 for most of its length. Consider the 407 was planned in the 1960's and only started construction in the 1990's, and the rapid growth of the GTA means rapidly escalating property values and traffic loads.

I like the idea of connecting it to a Mid-Pen road approaching Niagara and signing the whole thing as Hwy 420 mostly because I like the number A Greater Golden Horseshoe Horseshoe

As you say, there is significant merit in undertaking the planning work right now, as without it the corridor is going to be enveloped by urban uses with the next few decades of the land isn't set aside now. Ideally, if there was a corridor remaining, the highway should probably be punched through to the 404 and not just the 400.

I haven't been following this project enough to know what kind of opposition it faces. From the outset of the study, the highway was planned to run from Kitchener to Vaughan, but was quashed west of Milton due to local opposition. The local governments within the Region of Peel are certainly in favour of building this new road.

Personally, I am not in favour of never-ending sprawl, but I am not sure how you not build this highway. The cities in the area have grown emmensly over the past few decades and continue to grow. Even once widened the 410 is going to approach capacity within probably 20 years, and there is even less capacity on some of the roadways that surround the project area.

Even with continued modal shift towards transit, a growing city is going to mean a net increase of more cars on the road, regardless of what kinds of capacity improvements to the roadway network are implemented.
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:50 AM   #3212
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Wasn't there a plan to continue this to Guelph? or is it still in consideration?
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 06:53 PM   #3213
Haljackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
Wasn't there a plan to continue this to Guelph? or is it still in consideration?
This would likely be an extension of the Highway 7 freeway that will run from Kitchener to Guelph. It is currently approved to run from the Conestoga Parkway to Highway 6 but it could eventually continue eastward to connect with this highway... somewhere.

I'd say this wouldn't happen until at least 2035, and who knows what things could be like 20 years from now.

My Simcity Stuff
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #3214
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Construction of the 407 East Extension, January aerial images:

This is the 401 interchange, which also parallels the busiest rail line in the country. Notice the huge freight train in the photo.

brewerfan386, lafreak84 liked this post
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #3215
yohaniv

Likes (Received): 101

January. Canada. No snow. You are messing with me, right?

Penn's Woods liked this post
yohaniv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #3216
Kanadzie

Toronto doesn't get very much snow. There was a small snow storm (20 cm?) on Monday and the city was paralyzed in chaos. If those photos were from today it would be white.

Vancouver hasn't even had any snow yet and is still green

Real Canada snow you have to look maybe Edmonton or Montreal, Quebec city, Halifax, or any "northern Ontario" or any other rural place...
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #3217
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Toronto doesn't get very much snow. There was a small snow storm (20 cm?) on Monday and the city was paralyzed in chaos. If those photos were from today it would be white.

Vancouver hasn't even had any snow yet and is still green

Real Canada snow you have to look maybe Edmonton or Montreal, Quebec city, Halifax, or any "northern Ontario" or any other rural place...
The Ontario Snow Belts on the lee of the Great Lakes are hardly "northern" Ontario. I'm surprised they don't plant trees along the 401 to try and block some of the blowing snow that comes off the streamers from Lake Huron. It would be ideal along the QEW as well, but it's kinda hemmed in by the vineyards and the Service Roads.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #3218
Kanadzie

Anything outside the escarpment is Northern Ontario
Old February 9th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #3219
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Oh there is around 40cm of snow on the ground right now, just got another small dumping of it today.

It was a bit of an odd winter, only had a few snow storms before mid January and the ones we did have were quickly followed by a couple of above 0 days when it all melted.
Old February 9th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #3220
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
About 95 percent of the country, really, at any time between Canadian Thanksgiving and Victoria Day. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto