daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #3241
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regiona...lity_of_Durham

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3242
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Oh come on I can't be the only one who watched that TV show
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #3243
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Then there's the The Municipality of Baie-James (James Bay) the largest 'city' in the world by land area.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/travel/intro.html

If you want to travel on some of the most remote highways in the world, this is the place for you!

James Bay Road - paved: http://www.jamesbayroad.com/jbr/index.html

Trans-Taiga Road - gravel, 4 wheel drive vehicle recommended: http://www.jamesbayroad.com/ttr/index.html
-Warnings: http://www.jamesbayroad.com/ttr/ttrdriving.html

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by Haljackey; February 18th, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #3244
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

National Route 1 and National Route 16 in central Canada

Canada has two major national routes crossing the central provinces: Route 1 and Route 16.

How many exact km of each are already on a 2x2 standard (regardless of grade separation and access control) in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta?

Is route 16 significantly more affected by winter weather than route 1, or do severe weather system usually affect both equally?

What are long-term provincial plans for either route, in terms of converting 1+1 sections to 2+2 in these three provinces?

Is traffic between Kamloops-Jasper-Hinton possible year round, or are drivers required to drive via Banff and Calgary?
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #3245
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_Thru_Hell

The Weather Channel in the U.S. shows episodes of this reality series (among other things like storm-chasers) when they don't feel there's enough actual weather to cover.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 19th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #3246
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Highway 1 (the main Trans-Canada branch) has four lanes throughout the prairies. Highway 16 (the Yellowhead Highway) has four lanes throughout between the Rockies and Saskatoon. Apparently most people use Highways 1-11-16 from Winnipeg to Saskatoon and Edmonton. That's nearly entirely a four-lane highway (except for a brief section in Chamberlain, SK). You can drive all the way to Grande Prairie on four-lane highways.

Most of these four-lane highways have a 110 km/h speed limit, regardless of access-control.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #3247
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

yes, they usually just devolve into signalized arterials through towns though. 16 between Saskatoon and Winnipeg is not twinned. Work is funded to twin the first couple of km out of Saskatoon, but beyond that there aren't any plans to twin it in the future from my understanding.

Alberta is planning a couple of town bypasses to eliminate the stoplights along many parts of the highways, but beyond that i'm not sure of future plans. Its only recently that twinning of the routes has finished up.

The big efforts on twinning for the Trans Canada right now is Northern Ontario and getting 4 lanes through the Rocky Mountains. Ontario is in the process of twinning roughly 150 km of the 1700km gap of 2 lane highway in its control, and the government ran the last election promising to speed up works. BC is sort of slowly adding 4 lane sections of highway in a patchwork manner.

Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; February 19th, 2015 at 09:31 PM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #3248
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
yes, they usually just devolve into signalized arterials through towns though. 16 between Saskatoon and Winnipeg is not twinned. Work is funded to twin the first couple of km out of Saskatoon, but beyond that there aren't any plans to twin it in the future from my understanding.

Alberta is planning a couple of town bypasses to eliminate the stoplights along many parts of the highways, but beyond that i'm not sure of future plans. Its only recently that twinning of the routes has finished up.
Building road bypasses shouldn't be expansive since terrain is favorable and all towns have plenty of space around there.

Do smaller communities in the way of route 1 and 16 generally want a bypass (less traffic/noise/accidents withing the built-up area), or don't want it (local roadside business lose passing traffic)?
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #3249
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

It is interesting to note that most towns were developed off the main highways in the 'Dominion Land Survey'. They incorporated a 'road allowance' from the beginning in 1871. That way few highways run through villages and towns compared to the Midwestern United States. Larger towns of course grew beyond their original township square.

Lloydminster is probably the largest city with no functional bypass. It is located directly on the border of Alberta and Saskatchewan (two poles mark the provincial border there). Most businesses are in Alberta due to the more favorable tax climate.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #3250
Suburbanist
on the road

When will Edmonton complete its ring highway (there are signs of construction on Google Maps)? What about Calgary's?
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:43 AM   #3251
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Edmonton is supposed to open in the fall of 2016.

Calgary is having troubles with the final 1/4 of its ring road as it has to run through the corner of a native reserve and the native reserve isn't playing ball.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #3252
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Canada has two major national routes crossing the central provinces: Route 1 and Route 16.
It is funny to imagine the Trans-Canada and Yellowhead as being "central" Canada That's West!

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #3253
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Well, the Trans-Canada is West, Central and East....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #3254
Kanadzie

Yeah but then it turns into Hwy 17, 417, 40, 25, 20, 85, 185, 2 etc etc
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #3255
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Okay, serious question: Are people west of Ontario more likely to actually call it the Trans-Canada and people farther east more likely to use the numbers? (And in Quebec, does it depend on whether they vote PQ or not?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #3256
Kanadzie

I think - yes absolutely

Western people always say Trans-Canada except maybe that section in BC where the Coke runs

Northern Ontario sometimes says but more often Hwy 17 or 11/17 (admittedly the TCH splits so is confusing)
Hwy 417 is always 417, or the Queensway in Ottawa
Hwy 40 west of Montreal island, always Hwy 40
Hwy 40 in the "west island" of Montreal, from the bridge to Decarie, where PQ voters are nonexistent, always calls it "Trans Canada" (or T-can)
40 past Decarie is the Metropolitan and TCH isn't spoken of anymore...

I wonder if part of it is due to history? There was planning for Hwy 20 through Montreal to be the Trans-Canada (including the tunnel, Ville-Marie expressway, etc), when those roads were under construction. I am not sure how far it went, maybe even to the 401?

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #3257
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Building road bypasses shouldn't be expansive since terrain is favorable and all towns have plenty of space around there.

Do smaller communities in the way of route 1 and 16 generally want a bypass (less traffic/noise/accidents withing the built-up area), or don't want it (local roadside business lose passing traffic)?
There isn't much problem... the larger cities either have bypasses or are in the planning stages (specifically I think of Alberta, like Medicine Hat). The smaller areas, you might have 1 traffic light and 1 km of tempo 50, but the road is wide (two lanes per direction at least), so you have no real delay issue. Medicine Hat is like the worst one, and it had... maybe 4 traffic lights. But now I think only 3, because they built an interchange at the worst one. Mind you making interchanges to get rid of lights on Winnpeg's ringroad would be nice

Through Ontario the towns that the Trans-Canada passes are nastier, since often you have only 2 lanes (1 each way) through the town and lights, traffic sometimes backs up a bit.

The only real bottleneck in the West is Calgary along 16 Ave N, that's just crap, and because it is a city, there are traffic jams. You can bypass on freeway, but the distance is more than double...
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #3258
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
It is funny to imagine the Trans-Canada and Yellowhead as being "central" Canada That's West!
Hmm, I'm not familiar with region divisions in Canada, only in US.

I thought these three provinces were central, and British Columbia and Yukkon the West.
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #3259
Kanadzie

Ontario and Quebec are central, anything west is West
Yukon would generally be though of as "north" or "north-west" (but that may confuse with NWT)
BC is sometimes West but sometimes, just BC. BC predates the Prairie provinces (MB, SK, AB)
Maritimes would be the eastern NB, NS, NL, PEI (but sometimes not NL?)

"Eastern Canada" usually includes Ontario and all east, but sometimes ends at Quebec, or sometimes at NB depending on context
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #3260
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

I'd say Yukon, NWT and Nunavat are just north I'd say, and even a couple of hours north of Edmonton is just north and Prince Rupert and Prince George even.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto