daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #3261
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Are bear encounters a risk on route 16? I mean, if you stop to take some pictures, should you be aware of bears near the road ready to attack?

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #3262
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

oh no... I would say, if the road has asphalt on it, you don't need to worry, there is enough traffic to keep them away

Anyhow bears are huge and hard to miss just go back to your car

Suburbanist liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #3263
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
I'd say Yukon, NWT and Nunavat are just north I'd say, and even a couple of hours north of Edmonton is just north and Prince Rupert and Prince George even.
I'm remembering the woman in a Vieux-Montréal gift shop telling my mother in a crisp British accent that northern Quebec "is all bush!"

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #3264
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Ontario and Quebec are central, anything west is West
Which may seem lopsided - Quebec's really pretty far east - but since Ontario and Quebec are by far the two most populated provinces, they're "Central." (I sometimes sigh at American weather forecasters who say "central Canada" while they're pointing at Saskatchewan....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #3265
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are bear encounters a risk on route 16? I mean, if you stop to take some pictures, should you be aware of bears near the road ready to attack?
Highway 16 isn't that remote, its surrounded by farms. Bears become an issue when the highway is lined with woods, and even then the large highways which run through that sort of terrain tend to have wildlife fences along the edges.

Ontario and Quebec are Central Canada, Newfoundland, PEI, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia are East, and then Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and BC are west.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #3266
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Where's a handy Venn Diagram when you need one?

For those unfamiliar with the postal abbreviations for the provinces and territories:

AB - Alberta
BC - British Columbia
MB - Manitoba
NB - New Brunswick
NL - Newfoundland and Labrador
NT - Northwest Territories
NS - Nova Scotia
NU - Nunavut
ON - Ontario
PE - Prince Edward Island
QC - Quebec
SK - Saskatchewan
YT - Yukon Territory

North: YT, NT, NU (sometimes northern Quebec - Nunavik depending on what you're counting)
West: ((YT, NT, NU), ((BC), AB, SK, MB)) (BC is large enough to merit it's own category sometimes. The territories are only counted as "West" if using only East/West)
If you're going by a strictly geographic context then sometimes BC, YT as several agencies will administer YT from BC.
Prairies: AB, SK, MB
Central: ON, QC (these two provinces are large enough they are sometimes counted separately depending on what you're counting)
East: ON, QC, NB, NS, PE, NL
Maritimes: NB, NS, PE
Atlantic: NB, NS, PE, NL
South (if anyone actually makes that distinction): BC, AB, SK, MB, ON, QC, NB, NS, PE, NL (essentially all the provinces)

I believe outside of Quebec, the Francophone community is strong in NB, ON and MB. Obviously the further from Quebec you go there is less of a Francophone influence. NB is the only officially bilingual province. ON has officially-designated bilingual areas across the province, hence the sporadic appearance of bilingual road signs. I know MB has a sizeable Francophone community but don't know what impact it would have if any one road signage.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #3267
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

British Colombia to increase penalties for left lane hogs

With this and their recent speed limit increases, I gotta say good for them! Hopefully they can enforce this, or maybe put up more keep 'right except to pass' signs.
-I'd also like to see 'don't hog the middle lane' signs/enforcement on 6+ lane highways one day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ises-1.2979684

My Simcity Stuff

Colin145 liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #3268
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
British Colombia to increase penalties for left lane hogs

With this and their recent speed limit increases, I gotta say good for them! Hopefully they can enforce this, or maybe put up more keep 'right except to pass' signs.
-I'd also like to see 'don't hog the middle lane' signs/enforcement on 6+ lane highways one day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ises-1.2979684
Sounds good. Hopefully it works. Drive me mad trying to get past these morons!!! Get the middle lane hoggers too the just as bad!
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #3269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Saskatchewan

PM announces support to Twin Highway 7 between Saskatoon and Delisle

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced funding for the twinning of Saskatchewan’s Highway 7 to four lanes, west of Saskatoon to Delisle, which will generate economic and social benefits for the province. He was accompanied by Brad Wall, Premier of Saskatchewan.

Support through the New Building Canada Fund’s Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure Component, National and Regional Projects, will be used to twin approximately 26.5 kilometres of Highway 7 to four lanes and construct seven kilometres of a new four-lane divided highway.
Press release: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2015/03/12/...on-and-delisle

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #3270
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Autoroute 19, Montréal

In a report released Thursday morning, the Bureau d’audiences publiques sur l’environnement (BAPE) said that following a public consultation during which 43 briefs were submitted by various groups and individuals, it concluded “that a link between Highways 440 and 640 connecting Highway 19 to Highway 335 is justified.”

The report added, however, that a more in-depth comparative analysis is needed to decide whether the extension should be a highway, or an urban boulevard, before Quebec’s transport department makes a final decision.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...y-19-extension

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old March 13th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #3271
Kanadzie

I love that "urban boulevard" concept... the road passes through empty farms and the ROW is protected for freeway, so... there can be no urban... only maybe, intersections instead of interchanges

that said the price of the project seems insanely high considering land cost is zero...
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #3272
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Downgrading freeway projects to useless urban boulevards, even when the right-of-way is acquired, is a French speciality. Let's hope Québec doesn't get too influenced by them.

Kanadzie liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #3273
Kanadzie

I am not sure who was first. The Autoroute 20 through the east side of Montreal was made into urban boulevard (Notre Dame St) in 1976, even though all the buildings on the north side for the depressed freeway were already demolished
Old March 14th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #3274
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
PM announces support to Twin Highway 7 between Saskatoon and Delisle Press release: http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2015/03/12/...on-and-delisle
Thanks. Unfortunately no info about estimated construction start. When could works begin, now, end of 2015, 2016, 2017,...?
Will the road be grade-separated?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #3275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It will likely be an at-grade twinned highway like most twinned highways in the prairie provinces.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #3276
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Autoroute 19 will be a motorway, it'll just have bus lanes and a bike path beside it from my understanding.
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:09 AM   #3277
Kanadzie

The A-19 bus lanes as proposed are a hilarious greenwashing or whatever... the greens were saying how they would probably eventually be converted to general purpose lanes because the projected AADT on those lanes would be something like 500 vpd... but if there are only 500 buses, why need a bus lanes at all anyway?!

Idem for bike lanes, just look at a map, it is a waste of money for purely political ends... if anything a bike path along say Laurentian Boulevard would at least provide some reason to cycle there.
Old March 17th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #3278
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

update on the 406 widening by Sonysnob on SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Some construction photos of Highway 406 in Ontario through Welland. Despite the 400-series designation, Highway 406 was initially built as a two lane at-grade highway through Welland, and is only now, decades after initial construction, being widened to four lanes.

Some photos:

Hwy 406 crossing over the Welland River and Old Welland Canal. It is interesting to note that despite being side by side, the Welland River and Old Canal have different water levels.

Northerly view towards the Merritt Road overpass. The Merritt Road overpass was constructed in 2011 in an advanced contract to expedite the twinning work.

Southerly view approaching Woodlawn Road. During construction, Highway 406 followed what will becoming the southbound on and off-ramps through the future interchange.

Southerly view between the twin Welland River bridges. The new bridge is at left.

The Merritt Road interchange was opened to traffic during 2013, two years in advance of the completion of the remainder of the highway.

One of the more noteworthy features of the 406 construction was the addition of a new three lane roundabout at East Main Street. This is the first three lane roundabout on a provincial highway in Ontario. (Though it is not the first three lane roundabout in Ontario -- that was constructed in K/W several years ago).

Overhead signage approaching the roundabout at East Main Street.

This view looks easterly along East Main Street towards the Main Street Tunnel. Highway 406 parallels the Welland Canal. Immediately east of the Highway 406 roundabout, East Main Street (Highway 7146) dives below the canal in the pictured tunnel.

Taken in January, 2015, this photo shows the southbound lanes of Highway 406 had just about been finished before construction was shut down over the winter.

The whole set of pictures (I took a lot), and larger versions of the photos are available here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4..._cons.htm#2012
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...89#post6952889

Luki_SL liked this post
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #3279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The girders of an under-construction bridge across Groat Road in Edmonton buckled mysteriously. Groat Road is a major commuter route.

On Friday, the city closed Groat Road so crews could install girders on the 102nd Avenue bridge. The closure was supposed to last a few days. But Monday morning, workers discovered four massive steel girders had buckled, meaning Groat Road would be blocked off for an additional three weeks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...neer-1.2999331

Luki_SL, sonysnob liked this post
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #3280
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

401 as it passes to the north of Toronto. The highrises in the image form "North York City Centre", a new "city centre" created around the northern end of the Yonge Subway line.

image by Haljackey

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto