daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #3281
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I'll drive past there in less than 10 hours

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #3282
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

from the Toronto Star, dated 7 April 2015:

$1.2 billion contract awarded to extend Highway 407 in Durham

Construction will begin this fall, Ontario transportation minister Steve Del Duca said Tuesday, promising the road will be publicly-owned and have lower tolls than private 407 ETR.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspa...in-durham.html

MichiH liked this post
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #3283
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Anyone know if this railroad crossing has been fixed yet?

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #3284
Kanadzie

it definitely has not, I expect never will be

but the adjacent interchange overpass has had major renovations, I think a full replacement last year.
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #3285
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

I wonder why the engineers who designed the highway kept this? Even if freight trains aren't frequent, it is still an actively used rail line.

Zaz965 liked this post
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #3286
Kanadzie

I want to say that level crossing is very old... maybe even 1950's
The road was in its present freeway configuration circa 1965 already

I am not sure if it can really be called actively used. I've never seen a train and I passed there dozens of times I don't know the exact number of crossings per year but it isn't many.

I found an article:
http://www.lecourrier.qc.ca/actualit...our-sous-train

They are saying the foundations of the new overpass for the road are made deeper to allow for a lowering of Hwy 20 to pass underneath the rails... but have no idea when they would start that next project to lower the road.

the line only serves an industrial park now, the city should have just had them build on the other side of the road instead...
or even make a rail yard to unload the wagons and truck them across...
Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:15 AM   #3287
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Some Inuktitut signs, just because, it looks nice

Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM   #3288
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Tim Hortons rules Canada.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM   #3289
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

As someone living in Toronto, Canada for 4+ years, I approve the validity of Chris's statement.
Timmies roll up is like the funnest commercial initiative there is...
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 01:01 AM   #3290
Kanadzie

The interesting part is how Tim's bridges all divides... in English and French Canada (and as you can see, the North) still it is timmy's
Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:14 PM   #3291
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Tims is often extremely popular among new Canadians as well, it truly is Canada's coffee shop. everyone of all stripes goes to it at least occasionally.

And I say this as I sit at the computer with a Tims coffee..
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:30 PM   #3292
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

I avoid it. I try to find independently owned coffee shops.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:06 PM   #3293
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

I generally do as well, but Tims is inevitably cheap, and I'm cheap. I'll tend to get my wake up coffee from Tims or Mcdonalds, and then If I decide I want a coffee later in the day when I'm actually awake to enjoy it i'll hit up a local place.

In more on topic news, The first part of preparing to add HOV lanes to the QEW from the 403 to the 427 has gone into detailed design. It will reconstruct the Dixie Road interchange, which is currently an odd setup where the exit ramp just sort of becomes the service road. As part of the project the mainline QEW will also be reconstructed to a widened setup to fit in the planned HOV lanes for roughly 2km, despite the HOV lanes still being a while away.

Detailed design will take until 2017, with construction beginning in 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if the HOV lanes take until the mid 2020's to actually open. This project is essentially an inflated interchange reconstruction which will feature reconstruction of a couple km of the highway itself, which seems to be a new thing for MTO. They did the same thing for the King road reconstruction on highway 400 a couple of years ago, and are doing it a bit further north as well with the Highway 9 / Davis Drive interchange reconstruction on the 400, just starting now.

Quote:
9. Description of Project:
This EOI Notice will be used to shortlist qualified Service Providers to undertake the detail design for the widening/rehabilitation of QEW from east of Cawthra Road to the westerly limit of The East Mall Bridge – a distance of approximately (5 km). Consulting firms short listed at the EOI stage, will be requested (through RFP) to submit proposals for this assignment.

This assignment involving the above-mentioned specialties will include all TPM service provider services for preparation of detail design contract(s) drawings and documentation for Major Highway Widening to accommodate future widening; widening/replacing bridges including Ogden Pedestrian Bridge, Dixie Road Underpass and Etobicoke Creek Bridge; rehabilitation of QEW-West Mall Ramp over Etobicoke Creek and QEW-West Mall Ramp over the QEW; ramp reconfiguration at Dixie Road interchange; relocation of North and South Service Roads; modification/new construction of private accesses; replacement of culverts; stormwater management with the addition of stormsewers and ponds; replacement/repair of retaining wall and noise wall; reinstatement/upgrade of ATMS; and upgrade of pavement structure and illuminations.

The TPM Service Provider will be responsible for overall detail design study, includes providing recommendations on construction staging; geometric and roadside safety improvements to facilitate all the works within the project limit; the development of traffic management plans including traffic staging and/or detours investigations; internal and external Constructability Review; Highway Element Investment Review (HEIR); confirmation of property requirements and preparation of property request; verification of utility plan and preparation of a detailed composite utility plan of all existing and future utility relocation (including sanitary and watermain); detailed strategy plan(s) to complete utility relocations by December 2017; undertaking of Public Information Centre (PIC) and/or Community Workshop; and assist in negotiation of cost sharing with municipalities for various improvements etc.

This project will also include all work necessary to produce complete contract packages suitable for tender for the construction of above mentioned works and other operational/safety improvement. The TPM consultant may need to bundle the above works into several combination of contracts for construction considering the timing for design and environmental approval, level of work involved, structural condition/priority, staging requirement, corridor impacts, program funding, and conflict with adjacent contracts etc.

All necessary environmental clearances, approvals, permits and authorization that may apply shall be obtained including, but not limited to, approvals as required by Transport Canada and/or Department of Ocean and Fisheries for navigable waterways.

This part of the project is classified as Group “B” under the MTO Class Environmental Assessment for Provincial Transportation Facilities (2000). A Transportation and Environmental Study Report for this project is being prepared and will be completed by summer 2015. A draft copy will be provided with the RFP. As part of the assignment Design and Construction Reports are required.

10. Assignment approximate start and completion dates:
Pre-contract engineering phase: October 2015 to December 2017
Construction administration phase: (tentative timing) N/A
What I think makes this interesting is that this is one of the most urban MTO maintained highways, The widening of it will be interesting to see how they squeeze in the modern interchange reconstructions and extra 2 HOV lanes. It gets quite tight in a few places.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; April 23rd, 2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #3294
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Manitoba speed limit

MANITOBA GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES SPEED LIMIT TO INCREASE TO 110 KM/H ON MOST TWINNED SECTIONS OF TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY WEST OF WINNIPEG

The speed limit on the Trans-Canada Highway west of Winnipeg will be increased to 110 km/h from 100 km/h to effective June 2, allowing better traffic flow for commercial traffic and all motorists, Premier Greg Selinger announced today.

With the changes announced today, motorists can drive at the new posted speed limit from the Saskatchewan boundary to just west of Headingley, except on the stretches of highway listed above. About 240 kilometres of the route between Saskatchewan and Winnipeg will now be posted at 110 km/h.
Full press release: http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=34636

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #3295
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Canada has two major national routes crossing the central provinces: Route 1 and Route 16.

How many exact km of each are already on a 2x2 standard (regardless of grade separation and access control) in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta?

Is route 16 significantly more affected by winter weather than route 1, or do severe weather system usually affect both equally?

What are long-term provincial plans for either route, in terms of converting 1+1 sections to 2+2 in these three provinces?

Is traffic between Kamloops-Jasper-Hinton possible year round, or are drivers required to drive via Banff and Calgary?

The Trans-Canada effectively doesn't exist in Ontario. Nobody refers to Ontario Highway 11 (the "northern bypass") or Highway 17 (the "southern" portion of the Trans-Canada) as the Trans-Canada highway. Those portions of the Trans-Canada north of Superior in Ontario are no joke. I was stopped by the police for driving on Highway 17 around Pays Plat First Nation reserve for merely driving in the middle of the night. It is not a dual carriageway. The cop ordered me to go to Nipigon and sleep at the gas station. He told me that someone had just just been killed by smashing into a moose a few miles ahead.
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #3296
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

The TCH between Sudbury and Winnipeg is, by far, the worst stretch and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Northern Ontario just doesn't have the population density to support a twinned, controlled access highway from one end to the other. Too bad since it's really the only way to get from eastern Canada to western Canada by car (without re-routing through the US).

We should view the TCH in the same way that we view the national railroad, a crucial piece of infrastructure that stitches Canada together and an investment in our long term economic prosperity. Some pieces of national infrastructure should be subsidized for the good of the overall nation. Maybe one day we'll just bite the bullet and upgrade it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tim Hortons rules Canada.
And coming to a country near you.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 25th, 2015 at 08:11 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #3297
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

half the issue with it is its sheer size, its almost 2,000km that is untwinned in Northern Ontario.

There are a few different programs twinning smaller bits, but once they are done it will be more like 1800km instead of 2000km. Its just way too huge of a distance.

There is a little chit chat of doing some major work between Sault Ste. Marie and Ottawa, which would be roughly 800km of the highway, but that would be a 6+ billion dollar project. Past Sault Ste. Marie the highway traffic on 17 drops significantly other than a few specific parts between close by towns, so I struggle to see anything major happening there any time soon.
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #3298
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ontario. It's bigger than Texas.

I've watched numerous videos of both Highway 11 and 17 through Northern Ontario. Most of the time traffic is very light. Traffic counts confirm this, with many stretches not exceeding 3,000 vehicles per day. Even in the United States you won't find many four-lane highways with such low volumes.

The biggest problem is that accidents block traffic for a prolonged period of time, effectively stopping the traffic between central and western Canada.
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #3299
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

401 at the 403/410 in Mississauga. Image by SonySnob at SSP. This is the section of the 401 that is 18 through lanes wide. Past the interchange it becomes 10 (soon to be 10+2 HOV), as a large amount of traffic diverts south onto the 12 +2 HOV lane 403, or onto the 410 which is currently being widened to 8+2 HOV. Mississauga is undoubtedly the highway capital of the country, I think.

pai nosso liked this post
Old May 4th, 2015, 04:43 AM   #3300
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

401's a beast, no denying that.

Deerfoot Trail through Calgary

My Simcity Stuff

Tom 958 liked this post
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto