daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #3301
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I love how Calgarians are (or at least were) for so long kind of in awe of Deerfoot, or at least talked about it like some giant road, then, boom, Hwy 401 in Sauga. Of course if you said that you'd probably get called "eastern bastard" or something but hey

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #3302
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Highway 401's new western terminus nearly open

A road to nowhere until a new bridge to USA is built.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #3303
JehovahNissi

Likes (Received): 157

403 running thru Hamilton

pai nosso liked this post
JehovahNissi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #3304
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

lights on the poles? they seem pretty tall.
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:18 PM   #3305
Colin145

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
lights on the poles? they seem pretty tall.
It's because the light filament is roundish so the light comes out at lots of different angels so it spreads out. So theoretically the higher the light the more area it covers the less lights you need which saves money.
Colin145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #3306
Kanadzie

Over the past years Ontario has been changing their lights to that type. They are absurdly tall but you won't see them from the road unless you look way way up
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #3307
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

When heading westbound on the QEW from Toronto, I hate how at the 403 exit for Hamilton the QEW is reduced to two lanes from three. Because of that this area is always a bottleneck.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #3308
Kanadzie

That whole Halton Region QEW is a bottleneck

But yeah it opens up nicely along the QEW once you pass that. Hwy 403 speeds up and then stops soon after :/

I think it would be simple to just play with how Brant St lane-drops and the HOV ends and get a 3rd lane, there is probably even space since I think the QEW Niagara ramp is at ground level there.

The way the leftmost lane becomes open to trucks when the HOV ends I think is making most or all of the trouble. Since you have only 2 lanes you can't prohibit the trucks from going there, and sometimes they do, or at least, they need to get in the 2nd left (which is far left along the HOV section) so they can continue towards Niagara which most are.

QEW Toronto the other way is 2 lanes but even at rush hour it seems okay (slowdown), it always jams more at like \1/ Guelph Line.
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #3309
Haljackey

Photos of the Gardiner Expressway under construction:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle24464154/

Toronto city council is currently debating the future of the east end of the expressway, which is underused and in bad shape. Decision expected next month.

Some possible solutions:
Maintain (supported by former mayor Rob Ford)
Full rebuild / replacement
Replace with smaller / hybrid structure (supported by current mayor John Tory)
Remove, replace with at-grade grand avenue

Story: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle24425629/

My Simcity Stuff
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #3310
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

That section of the Gardiner hardly qualifies as 'underused' with 83,000 - 115,000 vehicles per day. OK, it's not the 401, but sufficient to justify a freeway with six lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #3311
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

and its currently set up with 8.

The big focus is on the use patterns of the highway, there is actually very little through traffic on the highway. The vast majority of users are getting off the highway to enter downtown, only around 20,000 cars a day actually drive across the entire thing. They are questioning the need of the grade seperated motorway if everyone is just getting off it to head into downtown anyway. The highway creates a horrible street presence anyway, and that area is about to experience a huge reconstruction, as the base infrastructure is going in today (sewage, etc.)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #3312
Haljackey

Fireworks along Hamilton's parkways last night

My Simcity Stuff
Old May 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #3313
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
That whole Halton Region QEW is a bottleneck

But yeah it opens up nicely along the QEW once you pass that. Hwy 403 speeds up and then stops soon after :/

I think it would be simple to just play with how Brant St lane-drops and the HOV ends and get a 3rd lane, there is probably even space since I think the QEW Niagara ramp is at ground level there.

The way the leftmost lane becomes open to trucks when the HOV ends I think is making most or all of the trouble. Since you have only 2 lanes you can't prohibit the trucks from going there, and sometimes they do, or at least, they need to get in the 2nd left (which is far left along the HOV section) so they can continue towards Niagara which most are.

QEW Toronto the other way is 2 lanes but even at rush hour it seems okay (slowdown), it always jams more at like \1/ Guelph Line.

Yeah, they should widen the QEW (Niagara bound) at the 403 exit to 3 lanes. There is room for that, and it's not a long section, and inexpensive since all is at ground level.
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:12 AM   #3314
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
and its currently set up with 8.

The big focus is on the use patterns of the highway, there is actually very little through traffic on the highway. The vast majority of users are getting off the highway to enter downtown, only around 20,000 cars a day actually drive across the entire thing. They are questioning the need of the grade seperated motorway if everyone is just getting off it to head into downtown anyway. The highway creates a horrible street presence anyway, and that area is about to experience a huge reconstruction, as the base infrastructure is going in today (sewage, etc.)
There are always a lot of cars there though. It isn't at all like the underutilized section east of that that actually was torn down. A straight freeway connection between DVP and Gardiner is rather important IMO. Don't forget people going from DVP to downtown as well

I think there can be massive improvement to the connections to downtown though. Many of the Gardiner exits are just clusters, like Spadina for example.
Old June 6th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #3315
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Work on new Kitchener-Guelph Highway 7 to begin this spring

Ontario's Ministry of Transportation says it will soon have the land it needs to begin construction this spring on a new four-lane Highway 7 between Kitchener and Guelph.

Work to build the long-promised 18-kilometre highway will begin this spring and take "five construction seasons" to complete, putting the opening date sometime in 2020
Full report: http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...n-this-spring/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Initial work on new Kitchener-Guelph Hwy. 7 to start in June (30th May 2015)

The Ministry of Transportation is moving ahead with a new Highway 7 between Guelph and Kitchener and expects some advance construction underway this summer.
About 26,000 cars travel the current Highway 7 every day.
Bakalarczyk said property acquisitions are complete and two main projects will start soon ahead of the 18-kilometre build.
The Guelph Street overpass in Kitchener will be widened starting in June to eventually accept one of the ramps for the new highway.
Utility relocations will also take place on the Victoria Street bridge and will continue in 2016. In 2017, the bridge will be replaced and extended.
n 2007, the most recent information available, the cost of the new Highway 7 was estimated at about $300 million.

Where is the Guelph Street overpass, ON-85 bridge? I think that does not count as ON-7 construction begin but just advance construction. I guess the real construction begin will be in 2016, won't it? 5 construction seasons and opening in 2020.

ON-7: Kitchener-Wellington Street-West (ON-85) – Guelph-Hanlon Parkway 18km (2016 to 2020) – ? – map

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #3316
Kanadzie

I think they would be connecting the new Hwy 7 to Wellington St so they would widen the Conestoga Pkwy overpass over nearby Guelph St for ramps. It is weird though to refer to that structure as "Guelph St Overpass" as the structure supports the parkway and not Guelph St.

Looking at the proposed map they make a hugely expensive interchange that on the straight-through movement maintains traffic lights and relative crappyness. In Germany would just draw some loops on the existing grass, keeping the existing overpass and constructing nothing new and people would be fine driving 200 km/h there

And also Guelph St doensn't go to Guelph Crazy Ontario

I'm surprised though the issue of this road has gone on so long, that the traffic reached 26 000 vpd and still 2-lanes. I would have expected just a "4.5 lane" undivided road like Hwy 7 is in the Greater Toronto Area (or Hwy 10, or Dundas, etc). I guess the MTO realized a real freeway is needed, and planned for it, but because of the cost and political complexity it has been kicked around a few decades, instead of just throwing some asphalt on the ground.

Last edited by Kanadzie; June 6th, 2015 at 10:41 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #3317
Transportfan

Likes (Received): 7

[QUOTE=Kanadzie;124585075
Looking at the proposed map they make a hugely expensive interchange that on the straight-through movement maintains traffic lights and relative crappyness.[/QUOTE]

What traffic lights? I see ramps.
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #3318
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I think the new interchange that's proposed between Hwy 7-New and Hwy 85 is designed to deliberately discourage traffic from continuing into K/W on Wellington Street. West of the Conestoga Parkway, Wellington Street turns into a residential street pretty quickly.

I've always postulated though, that the original and current Wellington Street interchange was designed with an eastern connection to a major roadway envisioned. The Wellington Street interchange is not really all that different from the original interchange that connected Hwy 8 to Hwy 7/8 at King Street further to the south.

Kanadzie liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #3319
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transportfan View Post
What traffic lights? I see ramps.
From left to right on that map through the interchange on the west.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #3320
Haljackey

Toronto City Council has voted to replace the eastern Gardiner Expressway with a hybrid option.

First exciting thing to happen since Rob Ford. He was at the meeting in a track suit, and was as the only person who voted to maintain the existing structure. Everyone else wanted to demo it or go with the hybrid option

My Simcity Stuff

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto