daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #321
vishalt

Likes (Received): 3

that is fantastic, well done toronto & canada! youre making great use of space and charging ahead in road infrastructure

plz show our roads minister this
vishalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #322
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 4

Great pictures, I like the night ones the best...
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #323
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phalange

What could have been:

Your links to the site www.torontoexpwy.com have gone dead. Is there a successor site with the same material?
Smelser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #324
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob
Freeflowing highways actually are a good way to minimize exhaust polution from vehicles. Idling vehicles (like they would idle at a traffic signal on a major arterial) cause much more polution then a vehicle traveling at highway speeds on a freeway.

Food for thought.

Cheers.

This point has been disputed recently by some environmentalists who claim that air pollution output is minimized at lower speeds, say 50kmh or so, as opposed to 100kmh or more. Whether or not there's any substance to that I don't know, but the idea has been challenged.
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #325
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_Joe
They are trying to contain it with a greenbelt / farmland initiative, particularly to the north of the city (Oakridge Moraine) where the headwaters of the rivers to Lake Ontario are. But I don't understand how much fine print and loop holes there are, and there is always opposition from the developers and the farmers who want to make money off land speculation.

Unfortunately Ontario doesn't have a Agricultural Land Reserve similar to BC's, which was setup in the 1970s under the NDP Govt of Dave Barrett.

In Ontario, no Liberal or Conservative Govt is going to do anything like that, and because of bad memories, justified or not, of Bob Rae's NDP Govt, there won't be an NDP administration in Ontario again for some time yet, or so say all the experts like Tom Walkom. And that's despite the fact that Rae left the NDP some time ago and is now desperately seeking the National Liberal Leadership.
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #326
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

well the downtown is dense and there is only one highway running through the downtown core. There would have been more highways however this highway building stoped in the 1980d's. Now

And plus these pictures in some of these views are quite outdated.However i have been in a helicopter and i must admit the city looks very sprawled in a helicopter, however on the gorund it doesn't.
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #327
LordMandeep

well if you look at the above Toronto Map. You would notice that the core of the city. The area surrouneded by the 401, DVP, 427 and the lake has no highways running through them and really only subway and major roads.

I think the real reason why there are such big huge highways is an insane amount of Truck traffic. Also i have noticed a lot of development going along the 401. Also many bottlenecks are getting fixed and lanes are being added where possibile. So there trying to fit as much traffic on to the 401 and in the most efficent way possibile.
Old June 8th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #328
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Those pictures don't really do justice.

Toronto looks and feels much bigger than it does from seeing overhead.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #329
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelser
This point has been disputed recently by some environmentalists who claim that air pollution output is minimized at lower speeds, say 50kmh or so, as opposed to 100kmh or more. Whether or not there's any substance to that I don't know, but the idea has been challenged.
Actually, to my knowledge, emissions from vehicles are at their lowest when traveling between 80-100 km/h - so, 90 km/h.
Therefore, stop-'n'-go city driving pollutes more, as does ignoring freeway speed limits and driving 140. I always shake my head with ire when I hear people complain about high gas prices, because, when I drive 100 on the 401 (which I always do, not only to save gas, but to do my miniscule part in reducing emissions), without fail, every other vehicle passes me like I'm standing still.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #330
LordMandeep

the 401 is a huge highway. It has long route trucks, and then trucks that run locally. Then people travelling in Southern Ontario and Toronto. then People going to Montreal and ottawa and other places east. Then it has lots of commuter traffic from people in the suburbs heading to the city, or people in the city going to another place in the city.

I think however the 427 should be rebuilt from the qew to the lake. That part is really ugly and in disrepair. Actually the whole 427 apart from the airport. However i heard its getting some construction in 2009. However the 409 is another highway in disrepair. The rest are in good shape.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #331
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

So, why did they descide not to go along with the original highway plan?
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #332
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMandeep
well if you look at the above Toronto Map. You would notice that the core of the city. The area surrouneded by the 401, DVP, 427 and the lake has no highways running through them and really only subway and major roads.

I think the real reason why there are such big huge highways is an insane amount of Truck traffic. Also i have noticed a lot of development going along the 401. Also many bottlenecks are getting fixed and lanes are being added where possibile. So there trying to fit as much traffic on to the 401 and in the most efficent way possibile.
The reason why is because they didn't let Toronto get sucked up by highways... Did you see the 1966 plan, it was horrific.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #333
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif
I love that place, I have visited the city many times, and everytimes I go there. I am amaze to see those wonderful highways, Only Houston and LA can compete with Toronto
Here in SD we have better highways than Toronto.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #334
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
At Scarborough City Centre-- Toronto's 3rd Core (Ellipse Towers to the right)
OMG U CAUGHT ELLIPSE AT NIGHT?! Your a god.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #335
LordMandeep

thats a cool building
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #336
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345
So, why did they descide not to go along with the original highway plan?
Pressure from citizens groups, mainly led by Jane Jacobs (the famous author of Life and Death of American cities). One highway's construction was halted, and that pretty much killed the whole plan.

The prevention of these highways ripping through Toronto's neighbourhoods is the primary reason why Toronto is known as 'the Livable City'. It also explains TO's rather high transit ridership, and is probably why we kept our massive streetcar network while other cities were ditching theirs.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #337
LordMandeep

the streetcars should stay. People say get rid of them, but there always quite full, so that means they are useful.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #338
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
Its funny how people say it's there dreams to drive these huge highways, when i can drive the 401 everyday. The massive thing splits my town right down the middle, thats how we define North and south ajax. I guess since i've grown up with it I just take it for granted.
lol very true
i drive on the 401 like its nothing and yet people around the world cant wait to cruise on it..just make sure you go before rush hour hits !
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #339
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

I really don't see why everyone likes these highways so much... I mean, the only good thing about the 401 are views through North York (which are underrepresented by photos here). The DVP and Gardiner on the other hand are great.

The DVP just has such a scenic view, winding through a forested valley surrounded by high rises.

As for the Gardiner, well I'm just a fan of raised highways. it would be nice if it were a little narrower, but I mostly like em cause they're fun to go underneath lol.

But from pictures I've seen, Sao Paulo's highways look much nicer. they're narrower and more surrounded by towers than our's.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #340
Smelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob
There is absolutely no chance of Hwy 401 being 12-laned westwards from Mississauga in the next 40 or 50 years. The 401/407 interchange was built for a 10 lane (5 per direction) configurating for the 401. The MTO (Ontario's Department of Transportation) has only ever planned a C-D as far west as just west of Mississauga Road in 'sauga.

From what I understand, lane widenings west of the 407 to Milton should be taking place along the 401 in the next 4 or 5 years.
Scott Steeves
I am amazed that a member of the public can speak authoritatively about the plans of the provincial government in the matter of roads. First, it implies that the government has an actual and firm long term plan that's not going to change, and secondly, that they share that with the public. I don't know about Ontario, maybe things are different there, ... certainly their existing road system is far more advanced than in BC. But here no one can say really what the BC Govt's plans are for highways since the government itself hasn't a clue, except of course for whatever project they are working on at the moment, and usually even those are flexible to some degree depending on political feedback.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto