daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #3401
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
PPP projects may overall be slightly more expensive than government projects (they want some profit and governments can generally borrow money at lower interest rates), but the benefits of having infrastructure completed much faster or earlier are also significant.

This is major factor which I think is not highlighted enough in for example Germany. They only focus on the cost of PPP projects, but not on the additional benefits. Especially with the big difference in construction speed between PPP and conventionally funded projects in Germany. Conventionally funded projects are almost always constructed at an excessively slow pace.

Having an infrastructure fund also helps speeding up the construction pace, as it is not as dependent on the annual budget cycle - provided the fund is adequately funded. One major benefit is that the entire funding is available for construction, not just blocks of funding allocated separately each year from the general budget.
For years, the bureaucrats in the Ministry of Finance in Finland have been against the PPP model. Officially, the reason is the higher interest cost. The real reason is that the PPP model reduce the power of those people. At moment of the sign-off the PPP model, the money is no more subject to the annual budget games.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2015, 03:59 AM   #3402
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Map: Edmonton’s most-needed interchanges

According to a city report, the Capital City needs 66 new or significantly updated interchanges over the next 30 to 50 years.

Due to the rate at which Edmonton is growing, the report says the changes and additions are needed to help manage traffic issues.

The report pegs the cost of the 66 projects between $4 billion and $7 billion.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1615694/ma...-interchanges/

What the heck is going on with Terwillegar Drive? Is it just me or does it seem like those are way too close together? Could cause some weaving issues.

Making Yellowhead (16) a fully grade separated road and extending the QE2 to Whitemud Drive would really help out with traffic issues within the city.

Edmonton is also investing heavily in LRT, but freeways still seem to be the preferred transportation network in the suburbs.

Shorter term targets from the same story

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #3403
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I think Terwilligar is supposed to end up like Whitemud, with overpasses on the crossroads for the mainline and the current road becoming ramps / diamond interchanges

so I don't know... there are only 4 streets between Whitemud and Henday and the area is developed so no roads from nowhere...

What's that other trasa N-S... Manning Freeway (nothing of the sort) and 75 St?
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #3404
Kanadzie

Quebec's Transport Ministry is making a study of the project for Autoroute 19 extension in Laval, Quebec, to reduced from 4 lane freeway + inner bus lanes to simple lane additions to existing at-grade expressway.

News article (French language)
http://www.journaldemont*********/201...prolonger-la19

MTQ website:
http://www.projetsmajeurs.mtq.gouv.q...s/default.aspx

sketch from news site:
[IMG]http://storage.journaldemont*********/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/jdx-prod-images/9507a38d-6346-412a-83ff-ae6819dd6f23_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&version=12&size=1036x[/IMG]

Last edited by Kanadzie; August 6th, 2015 at 06:25 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #3405
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

no sign of the trail in the urban boulevard plan? seems kind of a lack of use of the MTQ property.
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #3406
Kanadzie

True but the use of that trail is skeptical. It's quite a deserted area as it ended up designated "farmland" between the heavily urbanized Montreal island and Bois des Fillion.
Though there is some use by snowmobiles I believe in winter.

I think the MTQ was recommended to study an "urban boulevard" plan by the BAPE (environmental public hearings) and so this is what they are thinking to compare.
It may well just be "smoke" to placate the political opposition. The MTQ press release stipulates that they have a requirement, from "the first step, to solve the congestion problem on this segment"
As noted in the JdeM article though, the projected costs of the A-19 project have ballooned up towards 700 MM $ despite no RoW acquisition and minimal project scope...
Old August 10th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #3407
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

plan for a 4km stretch of the transcanada in BC.. this stretch is east of Golden, BC, closing the gap between two existing 4 lane sections. The stretch is largely considered to be one of the most difficult in the province to widen.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; August 10th, 2015 at 03:45 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #3408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A muddy Trans-Canada Highway in Saskatchewan near the Manitoba border / Une section boueuse sur la route Transcanadienne en Saskatchewanen près de la frontière du Manitoba by Library and Archives Canada / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada, on Flickr

August 6, 1954 – Saskatchewan

Welcome to Saskatchewan!

“…All of the border of Manitoba and Saskatchewan the average road turned into a downright bad road, dried mud, stones lying on the road, dips and holes. It really was in a bad state.”

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sonysnob, KIWIKAAS liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:56 PM   #3409
Kanadzie

I ate lunch in Moosomin and slept in Regina maybe 3 weeks ago

The road today is quite nice, wide, divided 4 lanes.
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #3410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I wonder why they signed Lac La Ronge 562 miles (I suppose) in advance...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #3411
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Twice in the past two years I have found the opportunity to be up in the Thunder Bay region of Ontario. I have taken these opportunities to take some photos of the recently twinned Trans-Canada Highway between Thunder Bay and Pass Lake. Highway 11/17 was widened to four lanes over this ~30km stretch over the past few years and was fully opened late last fall. I have placed some small photos below and have included a link to a webpage that I have authored with more photos and larger versions of the photos that appear below:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_1...p5b_images.htm

Ukraine liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #3412
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Quebec's Transport Ministry is making a study of the project for Autoroute 19 extension in Laval, Quebec, to reduced from 4 lane freeway + inner bus lanes to simple lane additions to existing at-grade expressway.

News article (French language)
http://www.journaldemont*********/201...prolonger-la19

MTQ website:
http://www.projetsmajeurs.mtq.gouv.q...s/default.aspx

sketch from news site:
[IMG]http://storage.journaldemont*********/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/jdx-prod-images/9507a38d-6346-412a-83ff-ae6819dd6f23_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&version=12&size=1036x[/IMG]
Building a proper highway in this corridor seems like a no-brainer. The right-of-way has been reserved for it, and no doubt the development that has been built in the area was contingent on the transportation capacity that A-19 would provide. The only thing that I don't understand about the astronomical is project is the cost. Has there been any press about why this project would cost so much? It seems other than the river crossing at the north end, this project shouldn't be all that difficult to implement.
Old August 12th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #3413
sonysnob

Quote:
If this is the plan that is executed, will this make Yellowhead Trail a fully grade separated freeway throughout the city? That seems like it should be the long term goal.
Old August 12th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #3414
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Building a proper highway in this corridor seems like a no-brainer. The right-of-way has been reserved for it, and no doubt the development that has been built in the area was contingent on the transportation capacity that A-19 would provide. The only thing that I don't understand about the astronomical is project is the cost. Has there been any press about why this project would cost so much? It seems other than the river crossing at the north end, this project shouldn't be all that difficult to implement.
I really don't know either - the interchange at Hwy 640 is just paving the graded loops, the bridge over the 1000 islands river is really just widening the existing one, which is more a glorified culvert than a bridge (not at all comparable to the St Lawrence bridges in Montreal), all land is already owned and relatively flat, and there are only like 2-3 parclos going to be made in between.

Didn't Alberta build the whole SE Calgary Stoney Trail with the massive cloverstack Deerfoot interchange, several interchanges and much longer distance for not much more (769 million compared to 707 million), including maintenance for 30 years? With Alberta labour prices? I guess the corruption of "Commission Charbonneau" is still alive and well, despite the fat man remaining in Panama graveyard

The projected cost of the "boulevard" option is even more crazy, so much cash for a few feet of asphalt next to the existing, probably even re-using the existing traffic lights

Old news from a month ago, but archaeological remains have been found in preperatory work for the Turcot Interchange rebuild:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...lage-1.3158875

In background you can see ramps of the Turcot and the "underground" parking garage of the new McGill superhospital

Last edited by Kanadzie; August 12th, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #3415
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

The Bonaventure Expressway in Montreal coming down. The last 600 metres or so of the highway before terminating in the middle of Downtown Montreal are in the process of being demolished and replaced with a new urban boulevard. the location in the photo is where the new ramp to ground level will be upon completion of the project.

Old August 14th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #3416
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

This is what Toronto should have done with the Gardiner.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #3417
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Gardiner didn't really dead end like the Bonaventure does however. The A-10 already makes a connection to the 720 as well, making it sort of a truly useless freeway.
Old August 15th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #3418
Kanadzie

that's not exactly correct - the A-10 used to directly connect to A-720 just before the Bonaventure (A-10) ended. Now the highway will end several blocks earlier and if you want to go from A-10 to 720 east you will need to stay on the surface streets that seem to be essentially as they were before, though I think they are adding a lane on either side (6 lane freeway, replace with 2 extra surface street lanes LOL)

The idea in Montreal is basically like the debated Gardiner teardown in Toronto. But, I would consider the link of the Gardiner and DVP to be much more important than the 10-720 link... but it may only be as I have done the Toronto movemement a hundred times and the 10-720 one maybe a half dozen despite living in Montreal for a quarter century (but... on the other side of the city)

The A-10 never had a 720 West direct link, but it is an awkward / useless movement anyhow as the 10 veers east as it enters the island, westbound traffic would take Hwy 15 N / 20 W to stay on Hwy 20 at the Turcot interchange.
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #3419
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

to be fair the connection to the 720 is northbound only and the 720 ends shortly north of the connection.. its one dead end highway connecting to another dead end highway..
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:59 AM   #3420
Kanadzie

that`s correct

or really... east(north) Bonaventure to east Ville-Marie tunnel, west Ville-Marie tunnel to west (south) Bonaventure

Ville-Marie does end some distance away, but it is a huge distance viz. the alternative of the surface streets... sometimes the tunnels are closed at night for maintenance and the surface roads get tremendously congested even at like midnight.

Tags
autoroute, highways, ontario, toronto